IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

30 minutes ago, EliteDJ said:

I emailed support and the Juli@ only has 3rd party Linux support and the 3rd party can't be identified.  :) In regards to the Paul Pang USB Card Roger mentioned that it is NEC based and should be compatible.  I'm going to try a different motherboard to see if I have a better experience with recognizing the Paul Pang Card, it can be seen in Windows 7 with a driver but WS 2012 R2 or the Euphony OS it isn't recognized.  I'm still curious what PCI-E USB cards folks have working in their servers?  In the long run a wanted to have a dual boot Music Server using an audio card that is compatible with both WS2012 R2 and Euphony.  I'm thinking about replacing WS 2012 with Windows 10 to allow for better driver combatibility.  I'm doing a bit of experimentation to get the proper configuration as you can see. :)

If u are referring go the USB card at the server or end point, i use Pinkfaun USB bridge and it works fine, i used it in my smaller vertical PCLe slot. 

2 hours ago, EliteDJ said:

Intel 2nd gen i5 which I'm going to upgrade to a 3rd gen i7 3770s 65watt output.  I'm using parts that I have sitting around.

You would not be able to get the PinkFaun SPDIF card to work on the i5 or the i7 with Euphony. But it sounds very good on other CPU architectures. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

Just Picked up an ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AM4 AMD X370, same as is used in the Pink Faun 2.16x Music Server which looks to be a BEAST!!!  I'm thinking that they may be using Euphony as their OS of choice but that's a guess.  Anyone know the AMD processor that might reside in the Pink Faun 2.16x Music Server.  I'm thinking that it may need to be max 95 Watt TDP because the case they use looks alot like a customized HDPLEX H5 Gen2 which supports processors up to that rating.  Hopefully I'm on the right track. :)

5 hours ago, EliteDJ said:

Just Picked up an ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AM4 AMD X370, same as is used in the Pink Faun 2.16x Music Server which looks to be a BEAST!!!  I'm thinking that they may be using Euphony as their OS of choice but that's a guess.  Anyone know the AMD processor that might reside in the Pink Faun 2.16x Music Server.  I'm thinking that it may need to be max 95 Watt TDP because the case they use looks alot like a customized HDPLEX H5 Gen2 which supports processors up to that rating.  Hopefully I'm on the right track. :)

They were using AMD Ryzen 1700X in the 2.16 before. Not sure what's in the 2.16x. I would go with the gen 3, though. I would do the Ryzen 7 3700x or even the Ryzen 9 3900x if you can handle the power and cooling requirements. 

Industry disclosure: 

On 4/12/2019 at 6:29 AM, Chopin75 said:

The Euphony works great with HQplayer but I hate the click & pause at the end of each track even in the same album. DO you experience that ? But I think it mainly occurs when doing PCM-DSD., 

The HQplayer has its own sound signature different from the Stylus even with PCM

Hello, actually I don’t no if this was answered, but I had the same issue - I solved it by changing settings for DSD converting for DoP  but if Your DAC support native DSD it better way as Euphony service said.

The pinkfaun spdif/I2S bridge does not work well with intel chips I was told by them but the

RyZen works fine. So I got Ryzen 2700x  which is more than enough, even with resampling/upsampling. Pinkfaun recommends that so I don’t think 3000s Ryzen is really needed as then u need a

stronger PS and bettet cooling system. 

7 hours ago, genvirt said:

Hello, actually I don’t no if this was answered, but I had the same issue - I solved it by changing settings for DSD converting for DoP  but if Your DAC support native DSD it better way as Euphony service said.

I am already using DoP as my DAC cannot receive native DSD. I use HPplayer only for resampling or upsampling but not to play native DSD directly

22 hours ago, EliteDJ said:

Pink Faun uses Audiolinux OS. Both AudioLinux and Euphony is built on an Arch Linux base.

16 hours ago, Nenon said:

They were using AMD Ryzen 1700X in the 2.16 before. Not sure what's in the 2.16x. I would go with the gen 3, though. I would do the Ryzen 7 3700x or even the Ryzen 9 3900x if you can handle the power and cooling requirements. 

The processor in my 2.16x is still the AMD 1700x. The 2.16 is the base unit and the X version refers to added options like OCXO clocks, their PCX-1 wiring, PF fuses and Furutech NCF AC sockets.

The 1700x is already plenty powerful for Roon with upsampling and convolution. Of the 8-cores in the 1700x, I only use just 1 of them and it's still enough.

I found the exact Corsair memory that they are using in the 2.16x, it took a bit to figure that out.  Since I wanted video to be available for the 2nd SSD that will host WS2012R with Audio Optimizer and JRiver, I picked up a AMD Ryzen 3400G 4-core 3.7GHz with 4.2GHz Boost 65W CPU.  Does the 2.16 and 2.16x actually take advantage of the 8 cores?  I'm also assuming that the Pink Faun folks needed to add a video card to that motherboard to tweak the system's BIOS before shipping to clients because the AMD 1700x doesn't have built in graphics.

The Pink Faun SPIDIF card has clock options, I was always under the impression that when using a SPDIF connection to your DAC it would use the clock in the DAC, am I incorrect?  If I am correct, what is the advantage of updating the clock on the Pink Faun SPDIF card if is going to use the one in the DAC?

Thanks so far for everyone's replies and advice. Dave

7 hours ago, EliteDJ said:

I found the exact Corsair memory that they are using in the 2.16x, it took a bit to figure that out.  Since I wanted video to be available for the 2nd SSD that will host WS2012R with Audio Optimizer and JRiver, I picked up a AMD Ryzen 3400G 4-core 3.7GHz with 4.2GHz Boost 65W CPU.  Does the 2.16 and 2.16x actually take advantage of the 8 cores?  I'm also assuming that the Pink Faun folks needed to add a video card to that motherboard to tweak the system's BIOS before shipping to clients because the AMD 1700x doesn't have built in graphics.

The Pink Faun SPIDIF card has clock options, I was always under the impression that when using a SPDIF connection to your DAC it would use the clock in the DAC, am I incorrect?  If I am correct, what is the advantage of updating the clock on the Pink Faun SPDIF card if is going to use the one in the DAC?

As far as I know the clock at the PF SPDIF card is to reclock the signal so that all the jitter will be reduced just before the digital signal is sent out, like they do with CD transport.  As to whether DAC needs to recheck, I think so, as the digital signal gets degraded by the time DAC gets it. And so DAC reclocks it. Though, I think it uses the clock info from the source, if I am correct, hence asynchronous, though I am not sure if this statement is correct.  But to answer your, the SPDIF signal needs to be reclocked anyway to reduce jitter or the incoming signal to DAC would be too degraded regardless of whether DAC rechecks it or not and so it would not sound good even if DAC reclocks it, if that makes sense ?? 

I'm following you, makes sense.  I wonder why they offer the card with no clock as an option, I'm thinking the signal would be no better than one sent out of the motherboard's stock USB or optical out from a jitter standpoint.  I guess they include some filtering and an option to power their card from an external power supply so those are advantages.  So adding their clock options are the way to go which certainly kicks up the price by more than double the price of their basic offering, I better start saving! :)  Thanks for your explanation and time! Dave

15 minutes ago, EliteDJ said:

I'm following you, makes sense.  I wonder why they offer the card with no clock as an option, I'm thinking the signal would be no better than one sent out of the motherboard's stock USB or optical out from a jitter standpoint.  I guess they include some filtering and an option to power their card from an external power supply so those are advantages.  So adding their clock options are the way to go which certainly kicks up the price by more than double the price of their basic offering, I better start saving! :)  Thanks for your explanation and time! Dave

Regards the basic PF Spdif or USB card they do have a basic clock bur not an OCXO clock so there is still advantage. I suspect it is similar to the basic card offered by SOTM etc. their super clocks should be game changer, u just stick it onto the card and automatically the new clock is used per PF

S/PDIF is a real time stream, and the original word clock is embedded in the signal. As such the source that generates the signal (i.e. your PinkFaun S/PDIF Bridge Card in this case) must have a clock. Those PinkFaun cards do have a low jitter clock in their stock version, but they also offer two OCXO clocks as upgrade options. Upgrading the clock is plug and play - you literally plug a daughter card with the OCXO clock in a connector and secure it. The bridge card would recognize the clock and start using it automatically. I believe the cheaper of the two clocks is an off the shelf Connor-Winfield OCXO that costs less than $100 and is not considered to be exceptional. The Linear Solution uses the same clocks. The more expensive, 'Ultra OCXO', clock is a custom solution and has much better specs. You can try the stock card first and upgrade to the Ultra OCXO clock later. I personally would skip the middle model.

As for the DACs - many DACs do not reclock the S/PDIF signal. Audio Note for instance does not.The clock is very important in this case. Your S/PDIF cable is also important and could make a difference. But given the clock quality depends on clean power, you want to make sure you use a good quality LPS for this card. Vibration control also matters in this case as it impacts the performance of the clock. 

I suggest we continue this discussion in the PinkFaun thread as we are OT here. 

Industry disclosure: 

9 hours ago, EliteDJ said:

Yes we're getting of track now. I'll reply to your questions in the Pink Faun 2.16x thread below..😄 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/43629-pink-faun-216/?do=findComment&comment=976447

I just ran the latest Euphony update and now the system is frozen at the pictured screenshot.  I don't know the logon name or password.  Would appreciate suggestions on how to proceed.  Thanks323110404_EuphonyHang.thumb.jpg.f93d7e685d91abce7f9de45f13c17227.jpg

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates