IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

How do you see it’s gone back to default? I have switched back and forth a few times the last two weeks with no difficulties. 

Firstly, the Core 0 temperature increases after applying my particular Isolation settings (as previously posted). After reboot, the temperature reduces to the default values. If I hit the Apply button at this point, the temperature starts increasing again.

Secondly, I believe that hitting the Apply button with an empty field will show the actual core values without changing them. If I do this after applying Isolation, the display shows the correct values. If I do this after reboot, the displays shows the default values (0-7 for everything). Tip: Remember to Ctrl/C your isolation settings before clearing the field, so you can quickly re-instate then later.

Thirdly, by listening. If I re-hit the Isolation Apply button after reboot, I get a boost in SQ. Any subjective test is not totally reliable, but that's what I hear. It's harder to notice this on reboot because of the larger time lapse and because even default sounds pretty good anyway.

7 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

Firstly, the Core 0 temperature increases after applying my particular Isolation settings (as previously posted). After reboot, the temperature reduces to the default values. If I hit the Apply button at this point, the temperature starts increasing again.

Secondly, I believe that hitting the Apply button with an empty field will show the actual core values without changing them. If I do this after applying Isolation, the display shows the correct values. If I do this after reboot, the displays shows the default values (0-7 for everything). Tip: Remember to Ctrl/C your isolation settings before clearing the field, so you can quickly re-instate then later.

Thirdly, by listening. If I re-hit the Apply button, I get a boost in SQ. Any subjective test is not totally reliable, but that's what I hear. It's harder to notice this on reboot because of the larger time lapse and because even default sounds pretty good anyway.

I will try if I can find the same problem.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

3 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Thirdly, by listening. If I re-hit the Isolation Apply button after reboot, I get a boost in SQ. Any subjective test is not totally reliable, but that's what I hear. It's harder to notice this on reboot because of the larger time lapse and because even default sounds pretty good anyway.

Are you by any chance setting the isolation flags:

• while booted in ramroot, and
  • do you have the flag set to copy app data to root?

If so, you may just be losing the settings on reboot because they were not save back to the disk.

I do not have any issue with any of the Expert Settings getting lost on reboot, including the isolation flags.

I've been playing around different combinations of cpu freq, turbo and hyperthreading for the past 2 days. I found that for my system a fixed frequency of 1.2 Ghz, turbo on is the best (I can't set it lover than 2.1Ghz if it's off). My server is running Roon/Euphony, Intel NUC8I7 in Akasa Turing case, root in RAM. Roon is processing minimal PEQ taps to correct for room modes and 1.2ghz is responsive enough for my ~100K tracks library and Tidal integration. I found that the higher I set the frequency the bigger it sounds but more accurate timber of instruments and voices are more natural at the lower frequencies. I found that if the room modes are uncorrected, the music are slow, boring or dragging with lower cpu frequencies. 

I would like to experiment on the effect of CPU isolation but I don't know the name of the applications/processes when running Roon/Euphony. 

4 hours ago, Lukasluis said:

I've been playing around different combinations of cpu freq, turbo and hyperthreading for the past 2 days. I found that for my system a fixed frequency of 1.2 Ghz, turbo on is the best (I can't set it lover than 2.1Ghz if it's off). My server is running Roon/Euphony, Intel NUC8I7 in Akasa Turing case, root in RAM. Roon is processing minimal PEQ taps to correct for room modes and 1.2ghz is responsive enough for my ~100K tracks library and Tidal integration. I found that the higher I set the frequency the bigger it sounds but more accurate timber of instruments and voices are more natural at the lower frequencies. I found that if the room modes are uncorrected, the music are slow, boring or dragging with lower cpu frequencies. 

I would like to experiment on the effect of CPU isolation but I don't know the name of the applications/processes when running Roon/Euphony. 

Sorry, I'm running Roon/Stylus not Roon/Euphony. 

20 hours ago, austinpop said:

Are you by any chance setting the isolation flags:

• while booted in ramroot, and
  • do you have the flag set to copy app data to root?

No, I'm not using ramroot. I tried again last night with the same results as before. It could be a CPU/motheboard-related issue: If my 7i7DN board doesn't fully respond to CPU frequency settings, maybe it also doesn't fully handle core isolation as well? RickyV may be able to answer that question when he tries my tests - as he also has a 7i7DN-based server.

But more interesting for me is that today I've found a better sounding Core Isolation setting 🙂.

I disabled Turbo and HW (hyperthreading) in BIOS to see if that changed the Core Isolation reboot issue (it didn't). I then reinstated Turbo because that is  required to get CPU max frequency above its base frequency. But left HW off (Fidelizer's designer believes HW is detrimental to SQ in his experience, so I wanted to test that out).

So, with only 4 real cores available (and Turbo on), I found that    0 stylus 1-2 gstp 3   gave me even greater clarity and dynamics - the best yet. Strangely, with HW off, stylus now causes the highest CPU load, and Everything Else the least - the opposite of what I saw before - goodness knows why! That's why I allocated 2 cores to stylus to stop it going beyond 70C. Overall, CPU temperatures are a few degrees C lower than with HW, so a good result in every way.

This uplift in SQ is not fully conclusive at this stage because I also recently made a tweak to my headphones - I think I have seperated the two changes, but more time is needed. In the meantime I do recommend others try the disabling HW - of course this could be CPU dependent.

7 hours ago, Lukasluis said:

Just hit the Core Isolation Apply button. This will display all the relevent processes. As your default position is an empty Core Isolation field, hitting the Apply button will display current values without changing them.

2 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Just hit the Core Isolation Apply button. This will display all the relevent processes. As your default position is an empty Core Isolation field, hitting the Apply button will display current values without changing them.

Thanks I see bunch of tasks including 3 Roons, Stylus, nfm and gstp? I plan to isolate only stylus, what is gstp and nfm for? 

2 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

No, I'm not using ramroot. I tried again last night with the same results as before. It could be a CPU/motheboard-related issue: If my 7i7DN board doesn't fully respond to CPU frequency settings, maybe it also doesn't fully handle core isolation as well? RickyV may be able to answer that question when he tries my tests - as he also has a 7i7DN-based server.

Well Mr. Attorney you are right. I have testes this without listening and went purely by cpu temp and with empty field applying. It is always with the same results so after switching the server off/on or reboot or restart app, you have to set core isolation again by hitting apply (the field should still filled). This is with the NUC7i7dn..

424883CC-4317-495E-8BE3-981A4481CCD5.thumb.jpeg.d57bb52dc78b24ba3f7ee09910cbfa59.jpeg2C109D71-69CF-4491-9733-40B9749BE40A.thumb.jpeg.19658f153d85423dbf0181144e6082b4.jpeg

Core temperatures with no isolation. Default.

5437ED93-DE82-4502-94EE-03BDAE87DD5C.thumb.jpeg.d04ae1e04235f8ffb866beeeaa0b17ff.jpeg

Core temperatures with isolation.

After reboot it goes back to default.

But if you hit restart app you’ll get:

FDC2BF61-9D5A-4E9C-8762-D46571B2DAE3.thumb.jpeg.d73851fe27fa9044f87593f1eb94f57f.jpeg

F29182DD-6107-438B-8951-DD0FED20B938.thumb.jpeg.7a17c20363f81de079849989fe7fbdbf.jpeg

or

DCFE1FCF-8B19-4541-98B3-71BE208EFAA8.thumb.jpeg.392917c2e1ee63e07549ccdf5abfb35d.jpeg

So after restart app core isolation goes a bit haywire. (Timedatectl: )

Under development:

2 hours ago, dctom said:

I  asked this earlier, is it possible to use my NAS to play music with Euphony and if it is, how to do it?

At the moment Euphony "sees" the NAS but will not connect. 

Would be grateful for any help.

My music lives on my NAS, and I use Euphony OS to access it with no problem. You didn't say what music player you're referring to. The process is different depending on the server.

Here's my example. The full path to the music folder is \\192.168.0.240\root\My Music\Lossless. Here is what it looks like in Stylus, and in Roon.

For Stylus:

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 3.42.08 PM.png

In Roon:

image.png

7 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

So, with only 4 real cores available (and Turbo on), I found that    0 stylus 1-2 gstp 3   gave me even greater clarity and dynamics - the best yet. Strangely, with HW off, stylus now causes the highest CPU load, and Everything Else the least - the opposite of what I saw before - goodness knows why! That's why I allocated 2 cores to stylus to stop it going beyond 70C. Overall, CPU temperatures are a few degrees C lower than with HW, so a good result in every way.

So I have been trying this, this evening and the feelings I get are

more dynamic, calmness (like running the cpu at 1.9ghz), maybe a little more spacial. 

But the jury is still out on this I switched only ones.

Under development:

With hyperthreading disabled in BIOS the last couple of days, I'm really enjoying the sound. One bonus is that the max frequency doesn't seem to matter as much as before: It sounds good whether it's set to 0.9Ghz, 1.9Ghz or around 4Ghz. That's not to say they sound exactly the same, just that I can as easily engage with the music with any of them. Even Core Isolation doesn't seem to matter as much - maybe I'm just getting comparison fatigue?

So I'm sticking with max frequency of 0.9Ghz, which results in a huge CPU temperature drop to just under 40C (with correspondingly reduced power consumption). A further bonus is that these lower speeds do not suffer the temperature fluctuations of turbo mode.

Strangely, at the low speeds, "Everything Else" is back to showing more CPU activity than Stylus, so I've come full circle on that point.

So, with HW off, Max Freq= 0.9Ghz, Core Isolation = 0-1 stylus 2 gstp 3,  I get a great sounding, cool running, low energy, no fuss solution that I'm delighted with 🙂. Even if a max'd out turbo'd and hyperthreaded version sounds a bit better (and I'm not sure it does), I've stopped trying. No more changes from me until the ramroot function gets fully released.

7 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I have the reference with the renderer module, but stylus doesn't see it, I think it works only with dac usb.

Thank you for the kind help Emorante.

I almost got the Pro-USB module, but based on input from several reputable sources, I decided to stay with the Renderer for now.  I don't hear a difference moving from Ubuntu to Euphony+Roon Core, but no matter, I like the web control app, and hopefully there will be enhancements forthcoming like ramroot.

On 9/1/2019 at 9:50 PM, austinpop said:

My music lives on my NAS, and I use Euphony OS to access it with no problem. You didn't say what music player you're referring to. The process is different depending on the server.

Here's my example. The full path to the music folder is \\192.168.0.240\root\My Music\Lossless. Here is what it looks like in Stylus, and in Roon.

Thank you for your response austinpop.

I can run euphony with HQP on my server and send files to my NUC running NAA, HQP picks up the NAS ok. However when I try stylus it wont connect to the NAS, it  shows it as hidden and when I browse network it does not show as available?

I don't have roon maybe that is the issue.

3 hours ago, Darryl R said:

Grazie per il gentile aiuto Emorante.

Ho quasi ottenuto il modulo Pro-USB, ma in base all'input da diverse fonti affidabili, ho deciso di rimanere con il Renderer per ora. Non sento differenze nel passaggio da Ubuntu a Euphony + Roon Core, ma non importa, mi piace l'app di controllo web e spero che ci saranno miglioramenti in arrivo come ramroot.

Ciao, I also tried pro usb, and I stayed with the renderer module.