IGNORED

Objectivists/Subjectivists

89reksal

Just now, PeterSt said:

Pain ?

Please keep in mind how loud I play. If it sustains throughout (including dinner still being prepared instead of the other half jumping out to the takeaway) then all is fine.

So it is a quite physical thing. Physiological maybe - and with that mood influencing.

But of course this can't be about A-B. Just playing music.

Something else: without physical pain, all can sound the same and boring throughout. That hurts too (physiologically). So it is all not so easy ...

Yes. What I'm saying is that there is a pattern that is or isn't being matched which causes this strong emotional/physical response.  This is how humans make decisions. (Brain research shows that people deprived of emotional responses by injury to or disease of the relevant part of the brain have an impossible time making decisions about things as simple as what groceries to buy.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes. What I'm saying is that there is a pattern that is or isn't being matched which causes this strong emotional/physical response.

Agreed. A seemingly (is it ?) contradictory response: For me it is completely impossible to use music as a counterweight for a fight (bad mood). All what happens after 30 minutes of trying is that I shut down the music for the day.

Happened at Christmas day when we couldn't find consensus about what course of the meal should contain which (and we ended up without a main course - hahaha).

Luckily over here we have to days of Christmas (and gain weight after all).

Moral: For me, music can boost adrenaline, unsurpassed (like tonight, postponing dinner-ready to after 11pm), but it can't recover from the opposite. And merely: music sounds super bad in such situation.

So Yes, no wonder how studies and scientists and objectivists (still underlined in red) will most easily refer to this drastically endorsing exhibit of ... the subject at hand. Still there is relativeness to the same mood, same light, same wine, same woman and same prospect food ... the music being in the lead. I mean, the quality of it.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

11 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

And for @sandyk: it again bothers that me, myself and I (and Mani) were accused not to recognize canon balls from thunderstorms. No discussion which is what (singing saws) but *that* eager some people are (me).

Eh ... peace ?

Peter

I don't know what the big deal is here.

Peace for sure. Please check your emails

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

7 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Please check your emails

Alex, I did not check my emails (yet). But I already see how my message was brought wrongly:

it again bothers that me, myself and I (and Mani) were accused not to recognize canon balls from thunderstorms.

What I quite explicitly meant was: how can it have happend that we judged thunderstorms for cannonballs, while the intention clearly was cannonballs. Thus, wrong system behavior alert !

This then still in the context of cannon balls probably being singing saws. But this is not the main message. That is: we all can so easily fail (but keep up appearances).

XXHighEnd (developer)

10 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

If I was to walk outside tomorrow and report I saw a red/purple sky with green colored clouds,  and you knew it was a typical blue sky-white gray clouds day, wouldn't you query me on what the conditions were that I had these impressions?  People can not constantly post having audible impressions that make no sense within known science and not expect to be asked to present supporting evidence.

If there is, how do you expect to learn anything new when you refuse to involve yourself in any testing, preferring to stick your head in the sand and say  "I heard it, so it is so"?

Hi Sal,

In another forum you made numerous unscientific remarks and I asked if you could elaborate.  You never responded.  Were you “burying your head in the sand”??

Sorry for repost, meant to add quote.

13 minutes ago, Shadders said:

As others have said, hifi is a religion, and we all know how that ends up with fanatics who believe.

AND fanatics that disbelieve.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, Norton said:

(declared objectivists tend to be shy about their systems, so apologies in advance if I am wrong in my understanding)

Norton, don't be so English !

:)

A declared objectivist, as you refer to, will never unveil his system. So much so (not) that for most I doubt they even have one, except for the regular iPhone.

Strange, eh ?

XXHighEnd (developer)

31 minutes ago, Shadders said:

i have not paid enough for my system, that i am purposefully not hearing the differences, and one from this site - i am deaf.

You shouldn't be so English too. But I'd say you should not be mocked upon because, well, you don't deserve it ?

You are also not an objectivist (I think) but very eager to learn and verify. But maybe too much theoretical ?

Stupid question: did you really try MQA yourself ?

(a No will lead to posts I won't post because I am sure you will know what I mean in advance)

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

8 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

You shouldn't be so English too. But I'd say you should not be mocked upon because, well, you don't deserve it ?

You are also not an objectivist (I think) but very eager to learn and verify. But maybe too much theoretical ?

Stupid question: did you really try MQA yourself ?

(a No will lead to posts I won't post because I am sure you will know what I mean in advance)

Peter

Hi,

For me, it is the responses as to why i did not hear a difference that indicates that the other person believes that expensive means better equipment, which is distinctly not the case.

The Bob Carver test (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver) shows how a generic, cheap, good performance amplifier can be made to sound like any other.

In the Hifi Critic magazine (about 6 years ago ??), Stan Curtis wrote about a plugin to a sound program where the processed sound was exactly like a reel to reel tape recorder he used to use.

Ken Kessler stated that a digital recording of the LP master pressed onto CD, sounded just like a vinyl from the CD.

What this is - is that along the path of hifi experiments etc., that we already know what makes a specific sound of system in regards to amplifiers and other equipment, and in Bob Carver's case we can imitate it for an amplifier, CD is better than vinyl since it can replicate the vinyl sound, and a computer sound plugin can imitate reel to reels.

All this has been done with measurements and recreation of the target system characteristics.

So, i am an objectivist, i am not bothered about subjectivity - but we must save them. ?

On the MQA question - no, have not heard it - but then, why should i purchase a new DAC which means i have to purchase other equipment to implement into my system. making it a manual switch over, when i can purchase the lossless CD anyway. The MQA AES paper was full of serious errors and an own goal. MQA is a scam.

Regards,

Shadders.

6 minutes ago, Shadders said:

On the MQA question - no, have not heard it - but then, why should i

(context created by me, above - haha)

So why should you ? well, because despite someone like me (and who am I) sees Shadders as a seriously investigating person (far better than me), there's still something that holds you back from real progress - and that is applying the theories. This is how I asked for MQA because by now you know quite a lot of it, but it is still theory only. This places you in that camp of the others. "Bash it but don't know for real".

I don't know myself how I related this to all your green pens etc. etc. not working out, but it is characteristic for that "camp". And I say it again (with different words now): you don't deserve it. I mean, you are too thorough in working all out to deserve no result.

I apologise if I get sentimental, but some times I must express the opposite of all the idiocy happening in here (which in the end is what this thread is about, right ?). So I need a target for that and you came along.

Let me end this mood by stating that most probably you never really learned what to listen for. This is not a negative - it could just be explanatory.

In a next post(s) I will try to get into a few of your remarks. Skip in advance if you think it is inappropriate. I just have an opinion ...

Regards,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

17 minutes ago, Shadders said:

All this has been done with measurements and recreation of the target system characteristics.

Supposed you are like me (or my system) and you'd know that I can apply those same measurements *and* you'd see that there is nothing to differentiate in measurements WHILE with the flip of whatever I change the sound so drastically that that you would hear it with your ears closed (stuff-in fingers), then you'd see that with that as a base nothing can hold of the remainder of your text/findings.

Btw, perceiving differences with your ears closed is easier than doing to with ears open. Go to the hall (door of listening room closed) would imply the same. Try it.

21 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Ken Kessler stated that a digital recording of the LP master pressed onto CD, sounded just like a vinyl from the CD.

I understand and I would agree. Still, I know (and many people know - more do than do not) that any sound of CD can be massively improved upon, be that with green pens or demagnetisers (OK, not your thang) or be that computer playback with 1000s (really) of variations and resulting different sound (for better or for worse). This tells me that there is no logic at all in anyone saying that LP will sound the same when played back from digital. I agree all right, but those telling it under these conditions I don't believe (and this is Kessler in this case - it is not about you). The logic:

- LP is LP and it does not vary with computers in the house or whatever USB cables etc.

- Digital varies with said means all over the place (too bad not for you, yet).

- Both now can not be compared really. All we could say is that the most lousy digital already can mimic LP playback (which may make Kessler be right after all).

XXHighEnd (developer)

26 minutes ago, Shadders said:

In the Hifi Critic magazine (about 6 years ago ??), Stan Curtis wrote about a plugin to a sound program where the processed sound was exactly like a reel to reel tape recorder he used to use.

Then I will bet Stan Curtis a 1000 GBP (gets easier and easier for me) that he can not be correct on it, when I show him with the same "flip-means" that his plugin sounds different at each means of the flip.

The logic:

See the LP story. It is exactly the same.

XXHighEnd (developer)

8 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

(context created by me, above - haha)

So why should you ? well, because despite someone like me (and who am I) sees Shadders as a seriously investigating person (far better than me), there's still something that holds you back from real progress - and that is applying the theories. This is how I asked for MQA because by now you know quite a lot of it, but it is still theory only. This places you in that camp of the others. "Bash it but don't know for real".

I don't know myself how I related this to all your green pens etc. etc. not working out, but it is characteristic for that "camp". And I say it again (with different words now): you don't deserve it. I mean, you are too thorough in working all out to deserve no result.

I apologise if I get sentimental, but some times I must express the opposite of all the idiocy happening in here (which in the end is what this thread is about, right ?). So I need a target for that and you came along.

Let me end this mood by stating that most probably you never really learned what to listen for. This is not a negative - it could just be explanatory.

In a next post(s) I will try to get into a few of your remarks. Skip in advance if you think it is inappropriate. I just have an opinion ...

Regards,

Peter

Hi,

I do not think people are bashing MQA. They have exposed it.

MQA could be applied to the masters and the CD issued as a lossless CD (16bit, 44.1kHz) and we could all reap the benefits. The labels get to sell the same album, but hold on, MQA Ltd do not get to tax every part of the audio chain. Hmmm. I now see the light. ?

I am not sure there are camps - just people who agree. It is not a movement against MQA. The MQA AES paper - is rather bad and alludes to what it does, but the theory does not connect together - as per the errors.

Everyone in general, had a lot of respect for Meridian and Bob Stuart - but now, their reputation is quite ruined.

Regards,

Shadders.

28 minutes ago, Shadders said:

The Bob Carver test (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver) shows how a generic, cheap, good performance amplifier can be made to sound like any other.

I did not read it, heard often about it, but I dare state that the noise line is not straight - which is what I personally aim for, *or* that at least the noise is at another level compared to "any other" amp.

The logic:

Well, heavily based on my presumption that this noise won't look the same, it is my claim (not logic) that he won't be right because the amp *will* sound different than mine. If you have it, bring it, so we can compare.

I know, there is no logic in this. But the point I like to make is the same: I can do everything and all to change sound which is not measurable anywhere, and so his amp story won't hold for the same reason (because Carver will show you measurement - am I right ?).

XXHighEnd (developer)

33 minutes ago, Shadders said:

CD is better than vinyl since it can replicate the vinyl sound

The better context (as brought by me) would be that this would be correct. OK, I am not so sure this will count for CD as well (I just don't know any more and can't try either) but if we are allowed to translate this to "digital", then yes.

And here we have the perfect example of proof without measurement.

Hmm ... for you and for me. But not for the 1000s of vinyl die-hards. They just believe that vinyl sounds beter.

But you know what ? they never tried the test you refer to.

And there we are (the actual subject of this thread).

XXHighEnd (developer)