IGNORED

Objectivists/Subjectivists

89reksal

This debate is so difficult.  Our hearing (and musical preferences) are distributed on a bell curve (or other graph).  How can we state that X is better than Y?   The best can I can do is state X is different than Y.  I may like the difference, but you may not.

Human hearing, your listening room, recording quality, etc......how can we correlate measurements and sound quality with so many variables?  

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Just now, lasker98 said:

as opposed to "I haven't heard it, but it isn't so".

But wasn't it so that the objectivists (I still regard myself to be one) don't need to listen because they have shown to themselves it isn't so anyway ?

The problem I seem to have is that I don't need to listen because what you say is true anyway. As long as you listen.

/// says the other type of objectivist ///

The sheer FACT that my system (and that of so many customers) improves on a monthly basis, springs from believing what OTHERS have to say from listening.

Yes, I said FACT. Prove me wrong. :P

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

4 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

how can we correlate measurements and sound quality with so many variables?  

By giving everybody the same and observe the results. Note them. Remember them.

That's science too, you know.

But somehow the objectivists never ever anywhere turn up as participants. Never. Also a FACT.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

47 minutes ago, Jud said:

Sure. 

Wow Jud, you have read more into my post than even I could imagine.? It was simply stating a fact. I chose that slide to illustrate the fact as it was used by some respected in the Audiophile community... 

Looking at it from the pother point of view, when someone does post some fact, they are often pulled down by the subjective side or the poster is pulled down.

Your second paragraph would make an interesting thread and is something I have thought about, looking at the pictures of some wiring in some systems, I am not surprised noise and EMC causes issues.

27 minutes ago, Jud said:

As long as you grant that for some people an "objectivist" bent can also be a kind of faith (what @wgscott quoted Richard Feynman describing as "cargo cult science" when he encountered it in another forum) I fully agree.

Of course!  So, all "humility" rests on something - a worldview that itself is "a kind of faith".  Methodological materialism is the common ground of western society, and has been for 500+ years.  However, in odd little corners here and there, other faiths persist.  In Audiophiledom, that faith is mostly a strange form of subjectivism...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

10 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

That would be my expectation. Based on my actual experience with some of the objectivists on this site, I would say it's a fantasy. I could probably count on one finger the number of times I can remember one of these "more extreme objectivists" had actually tried something for themselves when asked if they had any personal experience. So it would appear farfetched to come up with an explanation how they have done it many times and learned from it when in fact none have apparently EVER done it.

In fact none apparently EVER done it.

Wow straw man much?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I really want to say I'm surprised and appreciative of the responses to this topic, especially the apparent "civility" (whatever the heck that means).

I'm gaining perspective on those damned objectivists ?

For some humour, I'm starting to find myself typing "objectionables" when I start typing "objectivists". ?

48 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

That would be my expectation. Based on my actual experience with some of the objectivists on this site, I would say it's a fantasy. I could probably count on one finger the number of times I can remember one of these "more extreme objectivists" had actually tried something for themselves when asked if they had any personal experience. So it would appear farfetched to come up with an explanation how they have done it many times and learned from it when in fact none have apparently EVER done it.

Again, an subjectivist approach and understanding.  I "try" things all the time, subjectively, but I dont' report on it because I know its not very useful.  True, I don't "try" many of the things subjectivists do (i.e. around digital cables, grounding boxes, some {but not all} of the software tweaks) because I know enough about digital communication and electronics (not an EE, but I did have a career on the practical side of IT for 20 years) that what the subjectivists are "reporting" is not possible or likely.

Your methodology leads to...Audiophiledom and all that means.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 minute ago, esldude said:

Yes some as much as $450

Well, my sincere apologies. My saying that none had ever tried is unfair and wrong. I would strongly suggest you trying a Lush^2 USB or Blaxius^2 digital cable if possible. I'd be both very surprised if you weren't "blown away" and very interested in hearing your impressions. I believe there's a 30 day money back deal.

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

Listening, switching listening is not reliable.

I agree in general. But what really is 100% reliable? I don't believe most of us have the capability of setting up a 100% reliable listening test of any kind. Look what happened when mansr and mani did the testing at mani's for the "Red and Blue Pill" thread. Even with everything that was involved in doing that, nothing was resolved. How far can we be expected to go?

34 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

2. subjective listening tests - here, biases are eliminated (or at least, reduced) by std. scientific protocols such as blind testing; rudimentary statistical analysis removes outcomes that are due to chance

Blind testing should always be at the top of the list. We have to first determine if the listener can actually hear any of the artifacts he is listening for, before any determination of relevance can be made. You can't tell me that A is better than B if you can't first show the ability to determine there is really any difference between the two.  Tightly bias controlled blind testing is still the gold standard of any science.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.