IGNORED

Objectivists/Subjectivists

89reksal

1 minute ago, esldude said:

You're equating measures as being equally flawed compared to subjective listening impression. That is nowhere near the case.

See last response to you. I believe there's enough of a possibility that the measurements were flawed, incomplete or biased that they're pretty much irrelevant to me in any kind of purchasing decision.

I'm listening to music, not running a lab.

3 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

Why should I have more faith in your measurements then in what I hear? There's been many cases where measurements ended up being flawed. And if measurements show no difference or don't align with what I hear, then I would fall back on saying that most likely the wrong things are being measured or the relevant things aren't capable of being measured. We'll just go around in circles forever.

Right!  So, where is this common ground you speak of?  On the one hand, you argue that it is pointless arguments about "extremes" that is the problem.  On the other hand, you seem to understand that there is real disagreement about the objectives, methodology - what counts and can't be counted, and how to count it - over the very basic fundamentals of Audio.  It can't be both.  Either all this is tempest in a tea cup at the extremes, or there is basic disagreement about the what and how of audio...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

5 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

Why should I have more faith in your measurements then in what I hear? There's been many cases where measurements ended up being flawed. And if measurements show no difference or don't align with what I hear, then I would fall back on saying that most likely the wrong things are being measured or the relevant things aren't capable of being measured. We'll just go around in circles forever.

What is the most important? I'm not trying to land my stereo on Neptune. I'm trying to enjoy listening to music.

So you've found the enjoyment for you is significantly enhanced even if it's snake oil. What am I supposed to do with this if I'm trying to increase the real Fidelity for playback? It's okay if that's what you want.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 minute ago, lasker98 said:

Fair enough. That's your decision. I don't expect you to try because I say so ?

AHHH!  But you DO!  Subjectivism is about the "trying", not about engineering.  It's like you say, your not running "a lab", your running a subjective art and wine, try it out and see how it impresses you, objectivist and objective truth be damned experiment - or rather, personal experience.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

10 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Blind testing should always be at the top of the list. We have to first determine if the listener can actually hear any of the artifacts he is listening for, before any determination of relevance can be made. You can't tell me that A is better than B if you can't first show the ability to determine there is really any difference between the two.  Tightly bias controlled blind testing is still the gold standard of any science.

Have you ever done blinded testing where there *is* in fact a difference to control for the expectation bias that there will be no difference? If not, how can you be confident blinded testing would show a difference if one exists?

Have your blind testing protocols sought to determine the contribution of echoic memory by using procedures that depend on memory and procedures that don't, and comparing the results?

There are so many factors to control for, bias and otherwise, in a truly scientific, objective test before the results can be considered potentially authoritative.  Then they must be replicable.

Liking the idea of being objective and scientific is great, but there's a heck of a lot of work to be done to reach the reality.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

28 minutes ago, crenca said:

I "try" things all the time, subjectively, but I dont' report on it because I know its not very useful.

You really believe that, do you ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

16 minutes ago, mansr said:

Perhaps that is because once a few measurements have been taken, little remains to be discussed.

Except for the measurements.

XXHighEnd (developer)

Just now, PeterSt said:

Hearing aids.

I must retreat that.

You just don't try, instead. Still you propose an opinion.

Plus you anticipate we dig that.

XXHighEnd (developer)

5 minutes ago, esldude said:

On another forum is a fair discussion about speaker distortion. That's an area that really matters and you don't need any special sauce to make it interesting.

OK, your speakers distort too much, yet, so you can't try anything else yet.

I get it.

Dedain (me).

XXHighEnd (developer)

5 minutes ago, Jud said:

Have you ever done blinded testing where there *is* in fact a difference to control for the expectation bias that there will be no difference? If not, how can you be confident blinded testing would show a difference if one exists?

Have your blind testing protocols sought to determine the contribution of echoic memory by using procedures that depend on memory and procedures that don't, and comparing the results?

There are so many factors to control for, bias and otherwise, in a truly scientific, objective test before the results can be considered potentially authoritative.  Then they must be replicable.

Liking the idea of being objective and scientific is great, but there's a heck of a lot of work to be done to reach the reality.

I agree with this. The ultimate goal would be to show measures and know something is transparent. We come closer to this than many realize. Next would be to measure and know how to measure and predict colorations.

But then someone somewhere swears they hear something.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.