IGNORED

New HDPLEX 200W LPS

On 6/3/2019 at 2:02 PM, Chopin75 said:

People don't realize there is a limitation on measuring devices that is often far inferior to human ear which is a far superior measuring instruments so to speak.  This explains why one an hear the sonic difference between Steinway and Bosendorfer and Yamaha but but I bet one cannot really measure it electronically to tell the difference. Ok, we are talking about measuring noise now but surely the human ear can hear subtle changes as a result of electronic noise. So it is possible the noise difference between different PSU are so low that measuring instruments are not really detecting it but they are large enough to affect the sound.

Wrong wrong wrong...

So wrong.

We can measure far more than we can hear, where do these measurements down to -140db come from.

Record different instruments and look at the results, waveforms, fft's showing frequency content etc. you can see a difference.

29 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Been discussed on numerous threads, do a bit more research... Can you hear artifacts -130dB down in the mix... NO and this article is not related to our ability to measure the physical world around us, its about our hearing ability. Go watch some videos of people who are pitch perfect... You also train this ability when learning to play music, ear training is an important part of music training.

1 hour ago, marce said:

Record different instruments and look at the results, waveforms, fft's showing frequency content etc. you can see a difference.

I just tried. You are right of course. There is really difference between a Spanish guitar with metal strings and a Dobro with metal strings. Next up is trying to see which is which. I think after a while I can do that too.

Btw, I started out with a comparison between a kick drum and a harp. But that was really too easy.

Any more eureka moments for us to share ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

22 hours ago, PeterSt said:

You never discuss that I can see. You only tell.

Look around this site and others, for a more technical discussion have a look on DIY Audio, the paper is several years old now and is often used as proof that hearing is better than measurements, ignoring all the other information on the subject.

I am sure you have the ability to perform searches...

22 hours ago, PeterSt said:

I just tried. You are right of course. There is really difference between a Spanish guitar with metal strings and a Dobro with metal strings. Next up is trying to see which is which. I think after a while I can do that too.

Btw, I started out with a comparison between a kick drum and a harp. But that was really too easy.

Any more eureka moments for us to share ?

Of course there are differences, my answer was in response to a direct question, but thanks for the clever reply at least I know I'm not on your ignore list... LOL

3 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Which is ?

I suppose you refer to you telling us that what can not be measured for difference can not sound different. Am I right ?

No need to confirm that. You are always telling us the same.

Nope...

The fuse rating is 6.3 amps 250 volts Fast blow.

I have installed in both my 100 and 200 the Synergistic Black fuse and it does increase my musical enjoyment, also tried the Fuurtech Blue and not as good as the SR.

Most importantly in my system, it generates the most enjoyable musical presentation when only a single device is only plugged into the 200 or 100.

Multiple devices at the same time appears to introduce some harshness.

Eventually my 100 will be replaced with a second 200.

My ears are the only measuring tools that I have.

The 200 runs around 85 F and 100 around 87 F.

My next move is to have the HDplex supported on Nordost Kones this will help air flow also.

Another thing is that the HDplex 200 is ruthlessly revealing with zero forgiveness and requires better DC cables than the supplied stock cables.

One of the things that experienced was an increase of sibilance - Ssssss out of vocals. Managed to tame with use of ferrite cores. This is not a 100% cure, a bit still exist on a few tracks but does not interfere with my listening pleasure that I take so seriously and sure you do also.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:13 PM, Terry A Khan said:

The fuse rating is 6.3 amps 250 volts Fast blow.

I have installed in both my 100 and 200 the Synergistic Black fuse and it does increase my musical enjoyment, also tried the Fuurtech Blue and not as good as the SR.

Most importantly in my system, it generates the most enjoyable musical presentation when only a single device is only plugged into the 200 or 100.

Multiple devices at the same time appears to introduce some harshness.

Eventually my 100 will be replaced with a second 200.

My ears are the only measuring tools that I have.

The 200 runs around 85 F and 100 around 87 F.

My next move is to have the HDplex supported on Nordost Kones this will help air flow also.

Another thing is that the HDplex 200 is ruthlessly revealing with zero forgiveness and requires better DC cables than the supplied stock cables.

One of the things that experienced was an increase of sibilance - Ssssss out of vocals. Managed to tame with use of ferrite cores. This is not a 100% cure, a bit still exist on a few tracks but does not interfere with my listening pleasure that I take so seriously and sure you do also.

Sibilance can be annoying but I never experienced it as an attribute of a power supply. Digital interconnects, DAC, source solution did contribute. But I do hear what I would

call an "edginess" from lesser power supplies, as though the treble has been treated with the audio equivalent of hot sauce.

The Cranberries recordings are an excellent test for exciting sibilance... if you can play their music and have it sound bright without sibilance, your digital source chain

has tamed the sibilance beast.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Received the HDPlex yesterday, have it hooked up as follows

19V to NUC8i3BEH displacing Breeze Audio LPS

12V to Microzotl 2 displacing SoTM SPS500

5V to Lexar SR2 SDXC media stack displacing iFi 5V supply

NUC7PJYH remains on LPS 1.2 but will swap with the remaining HDPlex 5V output later for comparison

swapped the Microzotl 2 PS last, immediate difference for the better in quiet and delicacy vs SPS500. Nothing obvious

with the other changes so will take me about a week to play around and A/B test before additional comments.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Try ground shunts on the dc connecters to further tame 'sibilance.' 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 2 weeks later...

My experience is quite different. Actually the hdplex brings less sibilance and brings a more analogue sweet natural tone than I had before. I guess this might be system dependent going from ac power grid and ethernet/wifi and airborne pollution and also other circumstances. We are dealing with frequencies here and one always have vulnarbilities that will ripple down to the audible range and that might lead to that the result will be quite different dependent on ones relative situation. I for one feel in my system that upsampling from 44.1kHz to 48kHz and running the cpu @2.4Ghz brings calmness and keep the high frequenzy hash and jitter down but anothers environment might be otherwise. 

Looking for some advice from the experienced hands here, who have used the HDPlex DC-ATX converter.

I want to use it with a Paul Hynes SR-7 19V/6A rail, but in a quick test we tried, the computer didn't power up. It also seemed to trip the over-current protection, as we had to replace the fuse on the PSU before it powered on again.

This is too expensive a PSU to experiment with, so I asked Larry for ideas. He suggested I try it with a laptop adapter. The most powerful unit I had lying around is a 90W 19.5V/4.62A supply, which conveniently has a 7.4x5.0mm tip, which fits perfectly in the HDPlex-supplied 7.4x5.0 to 6-pin Molex adapter. Here's the test:

1. connect power supply like this:
    • 19V 90W laptop adapter -> 7.4x5.5 - to 6-pin adapter -> 6-pin input on the DC-ATX converter
  2. Nothing else attached to the converter

Result: the amber light on the converter comes on for a few seconds, then goes off. The laptop supply seems to go into overcurrent protection, as I have to disconnect and reconnect for it to come on again (LED indicator).

Before you tell me this converter is rated for 400W load, and requires a hefty input supply - I know this. My plan is to only drive ATX (not EPS or any other output) for a very low power use case, where the expected power draw should be in the 20-30W range. 

According to Larry, the DC-ATX Converter requires a significant inrush current to "charge the capacitors." but he does not know what the requirement is. Has anyone experienced this, and do you have any experimental data that suggests what the inrush requires from the input power supply? This seems to be the limiting factor to using this converter at this point.

I am currently looking for a more powerful SMPS (sadly I threw away all me old adapters in my last house cleaning :() to test this on.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Nothing else attached to the converter

Like all ATX supplies, the Hdplex needs to see a motherboard or a power supply jumper before it will power up.

Here is what a jumper looks like:

https://www.newegg.com/p/2S7-000C-0A6S2?item=9SIAHBU99E8122&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc-_-pla-worldwidesupermarket-_-power+supplies-_-9SIAHBU99E8122&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjMfoBRDDARIsAMUjNZogWfO7hJW99_z42eG8t_QC5oSPWGia1Mk3rRW5x5S2VSqF6Pcv9egaApgKEALw_wcB

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio