IGNORED

New HDPLEX 200W LPS

I hope to get my new PSU tomorrow (replacing the old 200W) anyone here using all four outputs on it with modest loads (NUC, router, switch etc.) and how hot does it get? 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Give it some time to burn in and it will become moderately hot.

I use all four outputs (so far) trouble free with modest loads as follows:

Nucleus +  19V  3.4A

Fiber Router  12V  1.5A

Switch  5V  1A

&

Cable TV box  12V  1.5A

You will get some SQ improvement by upgrading DC cables and hooking good power supply cable as well.

12 hours ago, octaviars said:

I hope to get my new PSU tomorrow (replacing the old 200W) anyone here using all four outputs on it with modest loads (NUC, router, switch etc.) and how hot does it get? 

I have all 4 connected running my; 19v i3 itx server,  12v router, 5v ssd, and 9v switch at the moment - it does get pretty warm, I leave it on all the time except that I turn off the server supply when when not listening, it is just slightly warm then. Am  awaiting another LPS to do 19v duties. I have had the unit over 2 months.

@dctom good to know. I use a 120mm fan to cool my PSU as all my network equipment is in a cabinet,think I will keep using it.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
  • 1 month later...

After the combi 

HDPLEX 200W Linear Power Supply (LPS) Black

HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX 

works for two months trouble-free, I would like to give a small update.

For those who would like to use it with a CPU Intel Core i9-9900K, 3,6GHz - 5,0GHz OctaCore could my solution be interesting. The CPU is specified with 95 W TDP. With overclocking the CPU gets over 200 W and could burn the HDPLEX! 

Since I need at least 4.0 GHz Clocking for the compute-intensive EC modulators of HQPlayer. So I am already in overclocking. However, my CPU consumes on average only about 35 W at 4.2 GHz on all 8 (virtual 16) cores. The secret lies in the BIOS setting. I adaptively limit the voltage to a maximum of 1.050 V. The system is very stable.

36875332vg.jpg

Incidentally, I find the processing first-class. The high-quality ELNA capacitors are used. You can also see the oversized heat sink.

36875334gf.jpeg

On 6/25/2019 at 6:06 PM, austinpop said:

The finding here - at least for now - is that the DC-ATX converter is not defective, BUT it does require a significant amount of inrush current (even without any load). At 19V, this inrush current IC is:

• 4.62A < IC < 6.5A.

I have some good news from HDPLEX.  There is a new Version 2.1 of the 400W DC-ATX that is now available to order. 

HDPLEX advises that the inrush current on the new version is only 0.5A at 20V input.  The unit accepts 16V-30V input, the amperage at 20V is just an example.  HDPLEX achieved this by reducing the input cap from 3300uF to 1540uF.

Another improvement in Version 2.1 of the 400W DC-ATX ... the 4-pin output for SATA devices has been changed to a 6-pin output which now supports 3.3V devices like the EVGA Nu Audio card.  The prior version supported only 5V or 12V.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 5:51 PM, StreamFidelity said:

However, my CPU consumes on average only about 35 W at 4.2 GHz on all 8 (virtual 16) cores.

This specification was too much for my HDPLEX 200W.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:00 PM, rickca said:

I think that those of us whose rectifier went up in smoke were using the 19V rail of the 200W LPS to power a 400W DC-ATX.  The DC-ATX in turn was powering the 24-pin and 8-pin EPS12V of a motherboard populated with a 91W TDP i7-6700K.  Clearly, this is too much to demand of the 200W LPS unless BIOS tuning is used to reduce power requirements.

That's probably what happened to me. The good news is that my PC and the JCAT USB and NET cards have not been damaged.

The bad news is that the HDPLEX's protection did not trigger! What would have happened if I had not cut off the power immediately? I reported the damage and I'm waiting for the reaction.

Regardless, I have to worry about my future specification. An alternative would be the purchase of a Paul Hynes Design SR7 (19V / 10A continuous, 40A transient) which seems to have more margin of stability. When I look at the long delivery times and think about Brexit, I lose the desire. 😂

Now I throttled my audio PC and run it on the Keces P8 (19V / 4A), which does a very good job for more a year. The good thing about the Keces P8 is the Over Temperature Protection (OTP)!

So I decided to buy another Keces P8 with single output (19V / 8A) and

Over Voltage Protection 19.5V
Over Current Protection 8.2A
Over Temperature Protection 80 ℃.

I will use my Audio PC with reduced power in the future. Safety is important.

5 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

The bad news is that the HDPLEX's protection did not trigger! What would have happened if I had not cut off the power immediately? I reported the damage and I'm waiting for the reaction.

What exactly happened?  Did your rectifier go up in smoke?  What were you doing on your system immediately before this incident?

From your picture, it looks like you have a 200W LPS from the latest batch.  When did you get this unit?  HDPLEX told me that on the latest batch they lowered the trigger point for the 19V rail from 15A to 12A and made the heatsink bigger.  

What software are you using to monitor power draw (your reported 35W)?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

53 minutes ago, rickca said:

What exactly happened?  Did your rectifier go up in smoke?  What were you doing on your system immediately before this incident?

My audio PC has been playing music for a few hours. Without concrete reason the PC went out. After a few seconds I saw smoke from the HDPLEX 200W and it smelt metallic. I immediately pulled the plug.

From your picture, it looks like you have a 200W LPS from the latest batch.  When did you get this unit?  HDPLEX told me that on the latest batch they lowered the trigger point for the 19V rail from 15A to 12A and made the heatsink bigger.  

Yes it is the newest batch. After the very hot device cooled, I removed the top plate to check the fuse. The fuse was unharmed. When I turned the power back on it smoked under the big heat sink, where the rectifiers are located.

What software are you using to monitor power draw (your reported 35W)?

I use the Asus AI Suite III on Windows 10 Pro. In the picture above is the bottom left display: 100.0 x 42 (32.8 watts). Presumably, the ad is not very accurate. In Keces P8 I see the actual load in Amper. 

It is a pity that the HDPLEX 200W is obviously not very stable. On the other hand, I demanded the power supply very much. The HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX is undamaged and does a very good job. It works perfectly with the Keces P8.

Holy crap!!

After reading some of the comments I was peeing my pants.

So I rushed downstairs, pulled out the multi-meter,, powered up my HDPLEX 100W and....

5.1V into my SSD drives

19.3V into my motherboard

I also connected up my WattsUP! meter and load was ~35w at idle increasing to ~45 watts when running Kodi or reindexing via LMS...so no stress there

Panic over.

It would appear from the comments that the orginal 100W box historically was fine, the 160W not so much and the new 200W has had "birthing" issues but is now ok.

15 hours ago, Terry A Khan said:

I am wondering what changes are made any one have any ideas please chime in.

This information is straight from Larry at HDPLEX.

New customized chassis. Better heat dissipation.

330W transformer.

3A for LT3045 rail.

Redesigned rectifier. No longer using the old rectifier for 19V and 12V.

Also, the protection is now in software and will be much more reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/6/2019 at 8:20 AM, rickca said:

This information is straight from Larry at HDPLEX.

New customized chassis. Better heat dissipation.

330W transformer.

3A for LT3045 rail.

Redesigned rectifier. No longer using the old rectifier for 19V and 12V.

Also, the protection is now in software and will be much more reliable.

Thought I'd add that this past week, after inquiring about pre-paying for a 400W LPS, Larry informed me that the 400W will soon be discontinued for an upcoming 500W LPS, which he said he would e-mail me about when available. No other details than that, but suppose somebody could ask. Unsure if that also means the 200W will be discontinued for the 330W. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2019 at 10:23 AM, StreamFidelity said:

Die schlechte Nachricht ist, dass der HDPLEX-Schutz nicht ausgelöst hat! Was wäre passiert, wenn ich den Strom nicht sofort abgeschaltet hätte? Ich habe den Schaden gemeldet und warte auf die Reaktion.

Unfortunately I still don't have my HDPLEX 200W Linear Power Supply (LPS) back. HDPLEX support tries very hard, but there are big problems in availability:

11/22/2019
It has been shipped back to my engineer one week ago and is still pending custom clearance in China.
I will try my best to ship back the repaired unit.
If I have stock in DE, I would have shipped a new one instead.

12/17/2019
I have sent it back to my engineer but they has been hold in China Custom ever since.
Let me check if my engineer can build another 200W from spare parts.

After all, it didn't stop me from buying an HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX (I checked availability beforehand). 😅

This is now powered by two Keces P8 19V/8A, in sum 19V/16A. A very good combination.

• 2 months later...

Strange but true! My HDPLEX 200W LPS is repaired back after 4 month. 👍

It works fine, but I use Keces. If anyone is interested please PM.

• 4 months later...
On 12/20/2019 at 6:38 PM, StreamFidelity said:

Unfortunately I still don't have my HDPLEX 200W Linear Power Supply (LPS) back. HDPLEX support tries very hard, but there are big problems in availability:

After all, it didn't stop me from buying an HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX (I checked availability beforehand). 😅

This is now powered by two Keces P8 19V/8A, in sum 19V/16A. A very good combination.

Since now you have the HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX does it gives you better sound quality than HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX ?

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

5 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Since now you have the HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX does it gives you better sound quality than HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX ?

I have to answer this question in two steps. 😉

Step 1
For me it matters a lot whether I run the 400W or 800W DC / ATX converter. 800W means more calm and more power for my upsampling. I convert everything with the HQPlayer to DSD 256 with the high-precision and very computation-intensive EC modulator (ASDM7EC). The difference for low power systems may not be that big.

Step 2
I found that the direct power supply to the CPU and a larger motherboard brought even more SQ. In this case, the 400W DC / ATX only supplies the mainboard. 800W DC / ATX is to big in the chassis.

I would always recommend a split power rig with a 12 volt 10 amp LPS rail powering the CPU/EPU and a 19volt 10 amp rail powering an Hdplex DC to DC ATX converter. Used this way I can't hear a difference between the 400 watt or 800 watt DC to DC ATX models.

The new 300 Watt Hdplex LPS handles both rails nicely and sounds great.  Caveat- I haven't tried this with high current demand up-sampling software.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

@StreamFidelity@lmitche.   Thank’s for your answers . In my server I am not doing any intensive up sampling . I run a very minimal Linux daphile os and the only job of the server is to send the music file through Ethernet to the engineered upnp player .

Therefore my supermicro X10 sdv-f card is using only 3 to 4A at 12v .

I can feed this board either through the atx connector or a 12v volt connector .

There is no eps specific 12v plug for the cpu .

I understand from your answers that for my set up the 400w dc to atx hdplex is probably the right choice .

My dc source is a Sean Jacobs dc3 psu .

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

16 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

@StreamFidelity@lmitche.   Thank’s for your answers . In my server I am not doing any intensive up sampling . I run a very minimal Linux daphile os and the only job of the server is to send the music file through Ethernet to the engineered upnp player .

Therefore my supermicro X10 sdv-f card is using only 3 to 4A at 12v .

I can feed this board either through the atx connector or a 12v volt connector .

There is no eps specific 12v plug for the cpu .

I understand from your answers that for my set up the 400w dc to atx hdplex is probably the right choice .

My dc source is a Sean Jacobs dc3 psu .

Interesting, yes you are trading the Hdplex SMPS for the onboard SMPS. My guess is that the Hdplex sounds better, but I'd try both if possible.

Does your SJ LPS output >= 16 volts for the Hdplex?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I do not have the HDPLEX yet and therefore my question for the choice of the 400 or 800  .

The Sean Jacobs that I will use with the HDPLEX can output at 19V .

23 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Interesting, yes you are trading the Hdplex SMPS for the onboard SMPS. My guess is that the Hdplex sounds better, but I'd try both if possible.

Until now I have been using 12V as it is convenient and of course the SMPS from the Mother board .

Sean Jacobs did told me that it should be better with the HDPLEX converter  , this is why I am exploring this option .

As you recommend I will experiment with both