IGNORED

New HDPLEX 200W LPS

8 hours ago, soares said:

Just to remind that if you prefer you can order sboosters with up to 3 rails:

2 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

This is dedicated single V only, no adjustment which should make it better for sound and more reliable.  It uses some sort of supercap too. Does HDPlex use similar way of employing super cap to charge/discharge ?

You (both) are now talking about power supplies in general. 1000s of that exist. Of course they have a purpose, but HDPlex is in general about ATX which is to control booting, control and shutdown of PC's ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

18 hours ago, PeterSt said:

You (both) are now talking about power supplies in general. 1000s of that exist. Of course they have a purpose, but HDPlex is in general about ATX which is to control booting, control and shutdown of PC's ...

The 200W HDPlex is not ATX

On 3/16/2019 at 12:07 AM, soares said:

Just to remind that if you prefer you can order sboosters with up to 3 rails:

https://www.sbooster.com/OEM/

Yes, I know this !

But ... a customized SBooster is for sure much more expensive as other "Standard LPS" like UpTone Audio JS-2, UltraCap, TeddyPardo, Keces, ... your link shows the tripple SBooster for a 11'000 € Roon Server (Link) 😯

I'm happy with my "Standard SBoosters" (5V & 12V), especially I like "this simple standard circuit diagram", nothing special, no switchable voltage selector -> optimal for 24/7 running applications, because minimal energy lost in voltage regulator (max 2V drop-down).

From you reply I am not sure if you understood why I post the link.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:03 AM, rickca said:

This is an introduction to an upcoming post I have in mind with implementation experiences.

I'd meant to provide some detail about my experience ... but I encountered a setback.  My 200W LPS went up in smoke and is awaiting repair/replacement.  It was really promising until I fried the rectifier.  I'll have to revisit the viability of my configuration with the new lower current limit on the 19V rail.  Maybe a 91W TDP i7-6700K is just too demanding for this LPS.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

59 minutes ago, rickca said:

I'd meant to provide some detail about my experience ... but I encountered a setback.  My 200W LPS went up in smoke and is awaiting repair/replacement.  It was really promising until I fried the rectifier.  I'll have to revisit the viability of my configuration with the new lower current limit on the 19V rail.  Maybe a 91W TDP i7-6700K is just too demanding for this LPS.

Rick,

As you know I'm really enjoying this lpsu with my 6700k machine. I've heavily underclocked this machine, turbo mode is disabled, as is almost every peripheral device. One rail feeds the processor, the other an Hdplex ATX DC to DC supply. The Hdplex 200 watt LPS runs quite cool in this configuration.

For a dedicated music server this combination is terrific, but as power supply for a general purpose Windows PC the 200 watt Hdplex is not going to cut it, and my dangerous as you found out.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

• 2 weeks later...

Ohhh I see. I am sorry for misguiding you.  Have you contacted them to see if it is possible to order tailor made sboosters?

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

1 hour ago, sbronf said:

Hi guys...i have a question:

Can i use a split cable on the output of hdplex to optimize the number of psu? 

A cable like this

Slide25.jpg

Yes, technically you can as long as the cable has an internal ‘parallel’ configuration like the one you showed and you don’t exceed the maximum amperage of the hdplex output. Keep in mind the devices connected to either end will have to run on the same voltage.

57 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Ghentaudio has some higher quality Y-cables as well if that’s what you want.

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/list-dc.html

Wow thank you very much!!

do you think i can connect pc power and prephono together, both at 19v, without exceeding 2A ... or is the prephono too sensitive?

do you think i can connect pc power and prephono together, both at 19v, without exceeding 10A ... or is the prephono too sensitive?

43 minutes ago, sbronf said:

do you think i can connect pc power and prephono together, both at 19v, without exceeding 10A ... or is the prephono too sensitive?

Volt x amperage = watt. So the hdplex is rated 19 x 10 = 190 watt. Look in the specs of the devices you want to power, do the math and keep it below 190 watt.

For pc look at the TDP value (watt) of the processor and multiply this by, say, 1,5 for the rest of the components. Pm me if you need further help.

13 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

Volt x amperage = watt. So the hdplex is rated 19 x 10 = 190 watt. Look in the specs of the devices you want to power, do the math and keep it below 190 watt.

For pc look at the TDP value (watt) of the processor and multiply this by, say, 1,5 for the rest of the components. Pm me if you need further help.

Thank you vero much for your answer.

About power consumption there are no problem because PC+prephono don t exceed 100watt more or less.

My “ worry” about the connection to the same output of hdplex psu, is:I lose the isolation? For example: pc + prephono on the same 19V output, can it happen that the noise coming from the PC, arrives to pre phono?

4 minutes ago, sbronf said:

Thank you vero much for your answer.

About power consumption there are no problem because PC+prephono don t exceed 100watt more or less.

My “ worry” about the connection to the same output of hdplex psu, is:I lose the isolation? For example: pc + prephono on the same 19V output, can it happen that the noise coming from the PC, arrives to pre phono?

The general consensus is that it does degrade soundquality. To what degree I can’t answer that. I’ve used a Y-split cable to power an sms200 and an uptone regen and could not hear an increase in sound when I powered them separately. A phono pre-amp on the other hand is quite sensitive, so a combination with a pc would not be my first choise. I would definately separate digital from analog.

2 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

The following comment is from Larry at HDPLEX.

The efficiency is around 65-70%. SMPS on the other hand typically get 85% or higher efficiency in peak load.  

This might mean even if your system only draws 80W-120W, the burden on the LPSU could be into the 180W -200W range.

Also note that the nominal 190W assumes the 19V rail is the only rail in use.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

33 minutes ago, rickca said:

The following comment is from Larry at HDPLEX.

The efficiency is around 65-70%. SMPS on the other hand typically get 85% or higher efficiency in peak load.  

This might mean even if your system only draws 80W-120W, the burden on the LPSU could be into the 180W -200W range.

Also note that the nominal 190W assumes the 19V rail is the only rail in use.

Ok, i will check again power consumption of my pc with a tester, before buy

6 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

The general consensus is that it does degrade soundquality. To what degree I can’t answer that. I’ve used a Y-split cable to power an sms200 and an uptone regen and could not hear an increase in sound when I powered them separately. A phono pre-amp on the other hand is quite sensitive, so a combination with a pc would not be my first choise. I would definately separate digital from analog.

ok guys, thank you, i will separate Analog from digital.

according to you, for a dc cable, is important that it is shielded?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 5:00 AM, lmitche said:

Rick,

As you know I'm really enjoying this lpsu with my 6700k machine. I've heavily underclocked this machine, turbo mode is disabled, as is almost every peripheral device. One rail feeds the processor, the other an Hdplex ATX DC to DC supply. The Hdplex 200 watt LPS runs quite cool in this configuration.

For a dedicated music server this combination is terrific, but as power supply for a general purpose Windows PC the 200 watt Hdplex is not going to cut it, and my dangerous as you found out.

Larry

That's exactly the setup I have started to build, a 6700K with a mini itx motherboard (Z170), and I plan to use it with audiolinux, and thie HDplex 200w for roon core, good to know it's working

5 hours ago, deanorthk said:

That's exactly the setup I have started to build, a 6700K with a mini itx motherboard (Z170), and I plan to use it with audiolinux, and thie HDplex 200w for roon core, good to know it's working

My success here comes from a very specific configuration of hardware and software with great care taken to avoid high current demand.

So please be careful, you can easily overwhelm the power supply with this rig without realizing it ahead of time.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio