IGNORED

New HDPLEX 200W LPS

11 minutes ago, frederick184 said:

Yes, and it does, but there were two sets in my box.  I knew I was going to need them so Larry threw a couple extra in.  

Aha!  OK now I get it.  Are you running your i7-6700K full blast (91W TDP) but with turbo disabled, or have you done something in BIOS to further reduce the power requirements?  

I will still order a proper cable from Ghent since using the HDPLEX cables in this manner is a bit of a hack.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

11 minutes ago, rickca said:

Aha!  OK now I get it.  Are you running your i7-6700K full blast (91W TDP) but with turbo disabled, or have you done something in BIOS to further reduce the power requirements?  

Yes, I have done something to reduce power requirements. 😉

Warning - this configuration will not work for a general purpose machine and could be dangerous as power demand can easily exceed the current capacity of the 200 watt supply.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

6 minutes ago, lmitche said:

The case with DC connectors is terrific.

Yes now that you don't have a bare board to deal with I consider this solution much better for non-DIY guys like me.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

18 minutes ago, rickca said:

I will still order a proper cable from Ghent since using the HDPLEX cables in this manner is a bit of a hack.

I may replace all of the HDPLEX supplied cables as well, as they are not the greatest.  

Colin

23 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Yes the dxpwr with 15 volts in with a pre regulator at 13.5 and regulator at 12 volts.

dumb question...what is the purpose of a pre-regulator?  I was a bit confused by this option on the ordering page.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Hi guys, please excuse me if this is a ridiculous question but I am a bit confused about the idea of adding a separate LT3045 power supply after the HDPlex to further refine the output.  The basis for this approach is that the 4 LT3045s in the HDPlex are not able to meet the theoretical performance specs (ripple, noise, etc) so additional LT3045s are needed downstream?  Why can't just 1 LT3045 perform the job?  Is it because each one can only "improve" the power output by some percentage so adding more is required.  If so then at some point we reach the law of diminishing returns.  What dictates the number of LT3045 required to reach the theoretical spec?  Is it the quality of the input power?

Thank you in advance for helping me get my head wrapped around this.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

6 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Hi guys, please excuse me if this is a ridiculous question but I am a bit confused about the idea of adding a separate LT3045 power supply after the HDPlex to further refine the output.  The basis for this approach is that the 4 LT3045s in the HDPlex are not able to meet the theoretical performance specs (ripple, noise, etc) so additional LT3045s are needed downstream?  Why can't just 1 LT3045 perform the job?  Is it because each one can only "improve" the power output by some percentage so adding more is required.  If so then at some point we reach the law of diminishing returns.  What dictates the number of LT3045 required to reach the theoretical spec?  Is it the quality of the input power?

Thank you in advance for helping me get my head wrapped around this.

Here's an interesting link that @lmitche sent me.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/310402-fs-ultra-low-noise-power-supply-lt3045-based-pcb-15.html

On 4/29/2019 at 7:32 AM, rickca said:

Thank you for this.  This is very educational.  I guess now, my question is what is the point of diminishing returns where adding another  LT3045 does not make any appreciable or audible difference?

Other components:

Ok I've had the HDPlex 200w lps for about a week now and I can say without a doubt that it has changed my system in a good way.  I am using the LT3045 outputs to power my end point and switch.  My wireless bridge is powered by one of the fixed ouputs at 12v.  Previously, all three of these components were powered by my HDPlex 400W ATX lps which continues to power my server.  Powering my end point with the LT3045 output provided the biggest improvement.  The most impactful and satisfying change is the music has more dimensionality.  Instead of being confined to a flat 2 dimensions, music now feels like it has depth to it, almost like a 3d audio effect.  The other major change is that everything sounds more clear and precise with a blacker background.  I am going to try adding one of the DXPWR modules for my end point to see if I can further improvement.  At least for me, this has been one of my most effective upgrades.  

Other components:

2 hours ago, tboooe said:

Ok I've had the HDPlex 200w lps for about a week now and I can say without a doubt that it has changed my system in a good way.  I am using the LT3045 outputs to power my end point and switch.  My wireless bridge is powered by one of the fixed ouputs at 12v.  Previously, all three of these components were powered by my HDPlex 400W ATX lps which continues to power my server.  Powering my end point with the LT3045 output provided the biggest improvement.  The most impactful and satisfying change is the music has more dimensionality.  Instead of being confined to a flat 2 dimensions, music now feels like it has depth to it, almost like a 3d audio effect.  The other major change is that everything sounds more clear and precise with a blacker background.  I am going to try adding one of the DXPWR modules for my end point to see if I can further improvement.  At least for me, this has been one of my most effective upgrades.  

Thanks for the update.  I got very similar results, though I'm using it to power my server via the DC-ATX 400w power supply.  Additionally, I'm powering my external Startech USB 3.1 enclosure via an MPaudio LT3045 based power supply and my Startech USB 3.1 card via a DXPWR power supply.  Both of those added to the 3D audio effect you described.  

Next for me is a Paul Hynes SR4 for my NUC endpoint to replace the LPS 1.2.  My order is part of the April build, so fingers crossed.

Colin

36 minutes ago, frederick184 said:

Next for me is a Paul Hynes SR4 for my NUC endpoint to replace the LPS 1.2.

As good as the LPS-1.2 is, you will be very pleasantly surprised by the SR4.

6 hours ago, lmitche said:

To my ears the 19 volt fixed output sounds better then the lt3045 output set at 15 volts.

NUC can also be run at 12v too right?

Other components:

31 minutes ago, tboooe said:

NUC can also be run at 12v too right?

Yes, and if you can try an lps1.2 set at 12 volts. Musicality is off the charts listening to NUCs powered with an lps1.2! Either of the fixed Hdplex 200 outputs make good energizing sources for an Lps1.2.

3 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Yes, and if you can try an lps1.2 set at 12 volts. Musicality is off the charts listening to NUCs powered with an lps1.2!

That's exactly what I am planning to do shortly!

Other components:

11 hours ago, lmitche said:

Yes, and if you can try an lps1.2 set at 12 volts. Musicality is off the charts listening to NUCs powered with an lps1.2! Either of the fixed Hdplex 200 outputs make good energizing sources for an Lps1.2.

thanks for the replies.

Does the lps1.2 have enough power to run a NUC? looking at the spec it seems to only provide 1.1 amps.

An lps1.2 can be used to reliably power either a Celeron, Pentium or i7 NUC depending on the size and number of memory sticks and processor frequency and other bios settings.

This is easier done with some nuc models then others. The i7 models can be particularly difficult to setup with an lps1.2.

• 4 weeks later...

I recieved the new version of the hdplex 200W power on wednesday. It got the upgraded heatsink on the rectifiers and also some changes to the IEC input board and also the XLR output board and also a pair of components on the mainboard. I was a bit worried that this might change the sound for the worse, but I must say I'm at happy with the supply and even think it maybe performs a little bit better than the old version. It seems to have a little more detail and maybe little more air and dynamics and directness to the sound in my system. But when I installed the new hdplex I fixed the positions of the cables better than before, so it might have changed the sound for the better (it has happened before).

Before I switched over to the new hdplex 200W I had the CPU on an sotm sps-500 and the matrix element h USB pcie card on an paul hynes sr4 and an 400w hdplex atx supply on the 19V output of an old hdplex 200W and an ssd on an adjustable rail of the same hdplex.

Now I have the CPU on the 12V out of the new hdplex and the pcie USB card and ssd on both of the adjustable rails and the 400W on the 19V. So all is on the new hdplex. Compared to the sps-500 and sr4 in the system the music now is more natural, it just has this raw dynamic power and I noticed that some hash in the  treble has also disapeared, to call the treble more natural is a good word. It is just more calm and musical to my ears with the same level of details that I can hear. I think this might have to do with that the sps-500 is a switching supply and therefore introducing some noise in the system and also it does not have the same power to give to the CPU.   

I have not experimented with the sr4 in any combinations with only the new or old hdplex,  but just that the 2 of 4 rails of the hdplex 200W at $485 beats an 2 single rail combination that costs around $1000 is quite a feat. So now the the quality issues are fixed that I can see and my business with hdplex got fixed to my satisfaction, I am sincerley happy  and feel confident about the supply!

7 minutes ago, henke said:

I am sincerley happy  and feel confident about the supply!

What CPU/motherboard are you powering with the HDPLEX 200W LPS/400W DC-ATX combo?