IGNORED

Michael Lavorgna strikes back.......

8 hours ago, firedog said:

Professionals often don't participate at forums or give up after trying  b/c they are hounded by a small number of impolite and ignorant posters who often disparage their motives. Why waste your valuable time at a forum when that is the response?

That said MLs attitude didn't help and his PMs were totally out of line - not just for a professional, but for any reasonable adult. 

He does seem to have some good listening skills. We can then take his written insights for whatever we think they are worth. 

I strongly agree with these points. Many reviewers and manufacturers have "been driven" off this forum and others by those apparently looking to knock someone off a pedestal (and the manufacturer looking to share knowledge  must take care not to put themselves on the pedestal!). I've read many highly combative posts directed at manufacturers by members who seem bent on making an "authority" wrong.

But ML was clearly out of line with his PM and his post on AS is disappointingly childish. And ML has had a similar meltdown on at least on other forum. He really should stay home if his skin is that thin.

Still I will continue to read reviews at AS. Having heard some of the kit ML and SP have reviewed, I've come to trust their ears. And, they are good writers . . . just not when responding to impolite posts on the forums (altho' SP -aka Mercman - participates over at AudioAsylum without losing his sh*t).

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

The wider meaning of professionals, outside the business of selling stereo equipment, is important.  Social media or any other type of internet correspondence that isn't private are rife with disastrous potential.  Electronic payment and internet shopping are rife with disastrous potential too and that doesn't hold them back. 

There might be a teachable moment here about internet security.  ;)

18 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow, I missed this one entirely while at RMAF. 

Odd, given the title of his piece directly mentioning RMAF 2017.  In the title no less.  Are you saying there was no interaction at RMAF/CANJAM between the two of you?

6RtNyZW.png&key=726115f52074315e32f165a0

2 minutes ago, rando said:

Odd, given the title of his piece directly mentioning RMAF 2017.  In the title no less.  Are you saying there was no interaction at RMAF/CANJAM between the two of you?

6RtNyZW.png&key=726115f52074315e32f165a0

I saw him at RMAF. He was friendly and complimented my shoes. 

What I missed was this article. I don't usually have time to browse other sites while covering a trade show. This time was no exception. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

20 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow, I missed this one entirely while at RMAF. 

I take this as a direct stab at CA and the business that feeds my family. Not cool.

I wouldn't care that much, but it doesn't help when I try to tell people about CA and they group us in with every forum wacko that has ever trolled the internet. The people here are a cut above and smarter than most people I meet on a daily basis. I've learned a great deal from everyone. 

I could go on, but hopefully others see his comments as more reflective of him and his current situation, than CA and the wonderful contributors here. 

I was surprised to learn in the first posts of this thread, that ML had been banned. I have found that you Chris, are very tolerant and give posters a lot of leeway. Some posters here would have been banned on other forums. Hence, my surprise that ML had been banned. 

But, if he really did tell a CA member to go eff his mother, well then his ban was well deserved. I don't mean to kick ML and take cheap shots, but I find his behaviour disappointing. I enjoy reading his site (though less lately). He is a very good writer, and has an obvious passion for music and audio. I especially enjoy reading Steven Plaskin's reviews. 

But, when ML would post here, it appeared to me he was playing games and being facetious. It looked like he would avoid answering questions directly, and would try to anger members. Once a member would erupt and lose his cool, ML would then discredit him and state something like, it was impossible to have a rational conversation. It seemed like he would play these games to discredit others, to avoid answering questions and make himself look good and more mature. He is somewhat skilled at these games, but I think some people here saw right through him. 

I find that his site is not as good as it used to be. I loved that site before. I learned a lot from it. For the past year or so, there are less reviews and technical articles. It is more about ML posting personal opinions, and videos of himself playing the guitar with his buddies. Those personal videos should be on his Facebook page, not a commercial site. I hate to kick a guy when he is down (so to speak). But, it seems I am not the only one who is disappointed by some of his behaviour. 

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I saw him at RMAF. He was friendly and complimented my shoes. 

What I missed was this article. I don't usually have time to browse other sites while covering a trade show. This time was no exception. 

I am not defending ML, and it is normal that his post would anger you Chris. But, I get the impression he was taking a shot at the forum members here, and not you or your website. The thing is, to take a swipe at CA forum members, he had to identify your site.

Maybe you can discuss this with him, if you still have an interest in maintaining some kind of professional courtesy or working relationship with him. 

5 minutes ago, Indydan said:

But, when ML would post here, it appeared to me he was playing games and being facetious. It looked like he would avoid answering questions directly, and would try to anger members. Once a member would erupt and lose his cool, ML would then discredit him and state something like, it was impossible to have a rational conversation. It seemed like he would play these games to discredit others, to avoid answering questions and make himself look good and more mature. He is somewhat skilled at these games, but I think some people here saw right through him.

This is called trolling, and it has existed on the internet for decades.

10 minutes ago, Indydan said:

That's right.  I agree completely.

The only thing I would add is that by doing so, he was also trying to discredit this website.  He is by no means stupid; I doubt this was accidental.

SankyK/Alex mentioned that we have had HA folks come here to do similar things.  He is absolutely correct, and having been the target of some overzealous and threatening behavior (being the hard-left subjectivist that I am), I have no sympathy.  But the one difference is presumably those trolls aren't the proprietor of a "competing" website.  (I also want to thank Alex for intervening on my behalf.)

4 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

This is called trolling, and it has existed on the internet for decades.

True, But most trolls are obvious in their behaviour. They do it for the fun they get from disrupting sites, and getting a reaction from people. I don't get the impression ML was doing it for this reason, but more to prove he was right, or to pursue an agenda (for lack of a better term). 

5 minutes ago, wgscott said:

That's right.  I agree completely.

The only think I would add is that by doing so, he was also trying to discredit the website.  He is by no means stupid; I doubt this was accidental.

Agreed. He is not stupid, and he knew exactly what he was doing. 

7 minutes ago, Indydan said:

True, But most trolls are obvious in their behaviour. They do it for the fun they get from disrupting sites, and getting a reaction from people. I don't get the impression ML was doing it for this reason, but more to prove he was right, or to pursue an agenda (for lack of a better term). 

Potato, potatoe

9 hours ago, sandyk said:

It's not a tale

. It actually happened. I can't presently recall the name of the senior Hydrogen Audio member that organised it.

Perhaps Bill or some other longer term member may remember his name ?

Perhaps you have Alzheimers setting in Dennis ? :P

You were around at the time too, IIRC.

I remember it well because you accused me of being a leader in the conspiracy group.  I stated I didn't remember when I last posted there.  Well you looked and found I had posted there some 3 or 4 months prior.  As I recall 3 posts about 2AFC style testing.  Nothing about CA or some conspiracy.  My next most recent post at that time on HA was something like 6 years prior.  I don't know if I have posted a dozen times there since. Maybe I have.  I'll leave that to you Alex.  No need for me to look and see. 

I remember a later time since then when about 4 regular HA posters started posting here for a short time.  I don't remember any conspiracy being found out.  Maybe Bill can fill us in.  ;)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

22 hours ago, sandyk said:

How many members participating in this thread are here to discuss Computer Audio ?

It appears that some come here simply to attack Audiophiles in general,

and they contribute very little (if any) in the way of advice to further improve Computer Audio.

What's up? Hadn't seen you in a while!

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

3 hours ago, Indydan said:

I was surprised to learn in the first posts of this thread, that ML had been banned. I have found that you Chris, are very tolerant and give posters a lot of leeway. Some posters here would have been banned on other forums. Hence, my surprise that ML had been banned. 

'should',  several of them, a long time ago. Too bad ML can't explain himself here anymore - didn't know he was banned. Not surprised he lashed out at some of the unsavory characters here though.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels