IGNORED

Michael Lavorgna strikes back.......

Just now, Samuel T Cogley said:

Wow.  So the alleged discomfort he felt justified his response?

I have really no idea what reasoning process could lead to such a conclusion. ML is responsible for the existence of his own 'buttons', his reaction (a word which better describes his behaviour than 'response') when they're pressed isn't in any sense a 'justifiable' one.

1 minute ago, opus101 said:

I have really no idea what reasoning process could lead to such a conclusion. ML is responsible for the existence of his own 'buttons', his reaction (a word which better describes his behaviour than 'response') when they're pressed isn't in any sense a 'justifiable' one.

That's how I perceived the distinction between "fault" and "responsibility".

Just now, Samuel T Cogley said:

What about the distinction between "fault" and "responsibility"?

Its rather a complex one to go into in detail. The TL;DR is - I take 'fault' as meaning that ML is blameworthy for his reactions. 'Responsibility' though doesn't attribute blame.

Just now, opus101 said:

If you'd set out what you understand to mean by this word 'blame' I might have a stab at answering... Alternatively if you argue the word is my own introduction (which I accept) then what you meant by 'fault'.

With due respect, you linked the words "fault" and "blameworthy".  Just trying to understand the mindset that is sympathetic to ML because of the alleged hardship he had to endure.

Wow, tiny font.  Copy and paste from a word processor?

12 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:
  • “narcissists collect sycophants”

Fixed, and I completely stand by this. 

It had to have taken quite a bit of time and effort to assemble that list.

It's clear that some attribute some kind of nobility to ML (assuming you're not a sock puppet).  I have seen no evidence of that nobility, but will gladly repent if some evidence exists.

20 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - Michael and I have exchanged emails this afternoon. I don't believe I'll be receiving a holiday card from him this year. 

So Chris, you now have a little feud going with Michael Lavorgna who runs Audiostream, and Michael Fremer who runs Analog planet. Both of those sites are owned by the Ten Network and affiliated with Stereophile.

My question is, when will you get into a fight with Tyll Hertsens of Innerfidelity?!  :D

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Too funny. Michael Fremer and I are back on good terms. We patched it up at RMAF in 2016. 

Well that is good to hear! I think Michael is impulsive and passionate, which sometimes leads to him reacting a little strongly. Most of the time, he seems like a very nice person. 

Hey, I just found this thread!  I was going to goad Audiophile Neuromancer with a popcorn reference, but Chris's speech had me thinking perhaps I am a better person that that...

NAH!  Hey Neuro, where are you? :)

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

With all due respect, not a single person, including Michael, reported posts that heckled him. That in and of itself doesn't make it right, but I also can't monitor every comment and keep it in context. So, just because I participated in a thread, doesn't mean I condone all the comments in that thread. 

That's fair. I do not expect you to have the time or interest in moderating every post on your site, nor do I assume you condone every post in threads you participate in. I just found it curious that you were quite active in that thread while much of the uncivil banter was happening. I suppose my curiosity is founded on the hindsight of having seen this episode unfold.

I'll (try to) step aside from this thread now. I mostly come to this and other forums to learn new tricks for improving my server and it's software as well as learning about better sounding components and new music. The examples highlighted by Bill Brown are an unfortunate side effect of the these boards.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

37 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Indeed. I went back thru' the build-up to the fym PM and found many examples of people needling and outright insulting ML...

But more than one CA member went out of their way to heckle ML presumably, in part, because of his status as an "authority".

I will admit wondering if I set the stage for what came about has everything to do with attempting to defuse attempts to beat an indisputably departed horse.  Two minutes before posting the quoted message below I had no idea who the guy was.  Things took a turn for the worse shortly after.  

On 10/1/2017 at 4:02 PM, rando said:

Well, that settled what type of mindset we have on display in today's 'Debate with industry personnel' highlight thread.  A reviewer (which isn't the same as a critic) and a self promoting artist you say? 

/audible sigh     

1 hour ago, Bill Brown said:

• Comparisons of audiophiles to flat earthers, antivaxxers, adherents to homeopathy, memory water advocates, etc.

• “I am not concerned about hurting their feelings”

• “There’s a benefit to being on the right side of the debate.  You have a higher ground that you get to speak from.”

• People labeled delusional- “If you are ML and you are delusional about Ethernet..”

• “I called him a hack and a coward a while ago but only because I truly believe those things and I can back it up.  Now I have additional proof of his cowardice.”

•  

I'll respond to the items I posted:

1. I didn't compare audiophiles at flat earthers. I've responded to people that have no idea about how data transmission works when they are presented with hard examples but yet persist in their delusion and it's detrimental to others as they tend to give out advice based on that delusion. 

2. No I'm not concerned about their feelings. Their feelings don't change how async data transfers work in highly buffered, high bandwidth systems

3. It's indeed easier to have a debate and being correct. Doesn't matter if it's like Ethernet cables or files with the same MD5 hash. 

4. ML is delusional about Ethernet. I can prove it with a listening session where he doesn't know a $350 cable from a $15 cable. 

5. I did call him a hack. A hack because he professes his hearing but won't substantiate it. Trust but Verify. He's a coward because he routinely bans people from AS that simply put forward a countering viewpoint. John Sully was an engineer at SGI and knows extensively about how CPU cache works. When Sully was pointing out the Swenson and another poster had no idea what they were talking about he was banned. Same for Archimago. 

If someone came to my place of business and called me a liar, shill, delusional, a hack (I guess in my case a “quack”), and a coward they had better be prepared to deal with the consequences, especially the last, as they would soon realize that it wasn’t the case (and they wouldn’t be able to rely on anonymity).

We aren't at your place of business.