IGNORED

How DOES the grounding boxes work?

1 minute ago, wgscott said:

If you ground something, the electrons (which are negatively charged) flow into the earth.  If you have something that is electrically isolated and suspended in space, and not connected to the earth, it cannot dissipate electrons, so no current flows, and no grounding takes place.  This has nothing to do with something like Einstein's discoveries.  In the case of special relativity, Einstein offered a new interpretation of why Maxwell's Laws of Electrodynamics were invariant under a Lorentz transformation. Einstein did not change the laws of electrodynamics in any way whatsoever.

I'm not sure anyone could ask for a better answer without paying for it, and even then I'm not sure it would be better.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

14 minutes ago, elcorso said:

so willing to attack someone who puts a new thread that seems wrong to them because or the laws of Physic. By this way very few people are going to dare to pose new threads.

He's not being attacked. He is being taken to task for:

1. Asking for possible answers

2. Eschewing answers that don't align with what I believe is an unformed, still preconceived notion as how it does work.

You can't dismiss the answers if one didn't already have some form of answer in mind.

13 minutes ago, wgscott said:

If you ground something, the electrons (which are negatively charged) flow into the earth.  If you have something that is electrically isolated and suspended in space, and not connected to the earth, it cannot dissipate electrons, so no current flows, and no grounding takes place.

Perfect! Short and to the point :)

1 minute ago, elcorso said:

Sending somebody to school is not a nice suggestion, over here is considered an insult.

Roch

Where do you go from there? I once suggested to my struggling older brother that he may want to consider an extended education. You would have thought I asked him to join a monastery. 

16 minutes ago, plissken said:

We have a difference in opinion. I see my responses being tough, but I don't see them being unfair.

I think the hardest thing for Cornan to potentially have to come to grips with is that the grounding box may be adding noise to the system and it may be his preference. I know when I first showed him the measurements of the box that his reaction was visceral and very object to it.

That possibility would certainly erode away some who had built up themselves as some sort of connoisseur of audio to realize they have been listening to a noisy system and aligning it with an audiophile system.

I wasn't referring to your responses but to AJs, although yours do come through as a bit too rough sometimes.

I agree with your assessment of this particular subject.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

2 minutes ago, plissken said:

Where do you go from there? I once suggested to my struggling older brother that he may want to consider an extended education. You would have thought I asked him to join a monastery. 

Different languages, different interpretations.

In Spanish (my language) "andá a estudiar" (go to school and learn) it could be translated to English "you are an stupid and needs to study".

Roch

3 minutes ago, elcorso said:

Different languages, different interpretations.

In Spanish (my language) "andá a estudiar" (go to school and learn) it could be translated to English "you are an stupid and needs to study".

Roch

I'm ignorant about a lot of things. If it's something that concerns me I attempt to correct my ignorance with what would be considered best practices.

Stupidity on the other hand is ignorance willfully left uncorrected.

14 minutes ago, Cornan said:

This would be fine if I asked about how physics works. In this thread I would like to hear thoughts and plausible ideas how grounding boxes might work. If you are 100% sure that they do not work I just see no point why you want to post anything at all.  

19 hours ago, Cornan said:

This thread belongs to both believers and disbelievers of grounding boxes. Let's get this hot subject sorted out ones and for all!  ?

Anything from scientific materials to personal ideas are most welcomed. I am a personal believer in that scientist is just a person with an extremely curious mind.

Not enjoying the taste of the can of worms you opened? 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

16 minutes ago, Cornan said:

This would be fine if I asked about how physics works. In this thread I would like to hear thoughts and plausible ideas how grounding boxes might work. If you are 100% sure that they do not work I just see no point why you want to post anything at all.  

So what Bill is telling you with his excellent explanation is that you will get ground currents if you make a connection that is *part of a circuit.* If you connect a wire from one piece of equipment to another in the circuit, then the electrons (which are the current) have somewhere to go.  If you connect a wire to a box that itself isn’t connected to anything else, nowhere for the electrons/ground current to go: electrons don’t use “one-way streets,” only two-way.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

39 minutes ago, plissken said:

So you were unsuccessful there, and took from this the lesson that you should repeat the same procedure and expect a different result?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, plissken said:

I'm willing to look at whatever debunking information you have. Links please.

I don't think there is any, read a long rambling thread regarding all this, its a personal argument involving a few, a bit like kids in the playground, I'm keeping well away from it, far to deep for me.:D

Maybe we should rate the threads with musical genres, that thread  needs a death metal score.

5 minutes ago, Jud said:

So you were unsuccessful there, and took from this the lesson that you should repeat the same procedure and expect a different result?

So you mean since the suggestion didn't work for my brother that the same message:

1. Doesn't work for others

2. Won't work for my brother if his other lazy efforts don't work or he hears the same message from someone else.

Got it.

15 minutes ago, Jud said:

So what Bill is telling you with his excellent explanation is that you will get ground currents if you make a connection that is *part of a circuit.* If you connect a wire from one piece of equipment to another in the circuit, then the electrons (which are the current) have somewhere to go.  If you connect a wire to a box that itself isn’t connected to anything else, nowhere for the electrons/ground current to go: electrons don’t use “one-way streets,” only two-way.

A two way street is a good explanation for how a signal travels, as a wave front down the loop formed by the signal wire and the return path. A good reference though quite heavy in parts is Ralph Morrisons, The fields of electronics.

5 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

As long as we confine ourselves within the ancient realm of "electricity" we will not be able to move forward into a boundless eternity of audiophile joy.

Owsley Stanley seemed to be able to do that (developing the monitor speaker, differential microphones, and the Wall of Sound) completely within the "ancient realm of 'electricity'.  He didn't use things like grounding boxes.