IGNORED

How DOES the grounding boxes work?

They don't work. 

Next!

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

They do work.  Tremendously well.  For audiophiles looking for emotional support they are doing something to clean up their grounding and improve their system.  The money spent validates the emotional improvements.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

To start this thread off I can tell a little something about myself. I have used Entreq Cupper Minimus for almost five years and have experimented with it a lot. Before I even bought one I constructed numerous DIY grounding boxes using battery, bentonite clay, tourmalines, rose quartz, clear quartz, Himalayan salt etc etc. The closest to "the real deal" I got was my battery grounder embedded in tourmaline stones that I still use today. Still, it was'nt even close to the Entreq Minimus in performance. How come? I read about stones, grounding and grounding boxes for ages but still did'nt come close enough. What did I miss?

🎛️  Audio System  

4 minutes ago, esldude said:

They do work.  Tremendously well.  For audiophiles looking for emotional support they are doing something to clean up their grounding and improve their system.  The money spent validates the emotional improvements.

Hmm, you mean they work or not? Any clues why they work or not? ?

🎛️  Audio System  

4 minutes ago, plissken said:

Based on the:

Instrumented data that I have seen

The lack of any human, bias controlled testing

They don't appear to work other than sighted. Ground means ground.

I would'nt qualify that as a hard evidence against grounding boxes. Bias controlled testing! Common! 

Just tell me how you think they work. Not by accusing believers of being half deaf. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

I mean exactly what I said.

Electrically to improve how well your gear functions, they don't work.  They will slightly degrade it.

As an experiential thing for audiophiles who believe in them, and don't do listening unsighted, they work fabulously well. They also are an excellent product business-wise. 

Quick question. Have you tried them IRL?

🎛️  Audio System  

4 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I would'nt qualify that as a hard evidence against grounding boxes. Bias controlled testing! Common! 

Just tell me how you think they work. Not by accusing believers of being half deaf. ?

Based on the testing they can act as an antenna and introduce noise into a system.

5 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

They don't work in the following ways:

1. They don't provide a safety ground

2. They don't extract and store noise from the ground plane

3. They don't filter noise

4. They don't attract stray currents or voltages (where "they find peace"! :))

5. They don't work "like a bit of mother Earth"

What they might be actually doing:

1. Acting as an antenna receiving (or even broadcasting) signal

2. They might form a common ground across devices if more than one device is connected to the same grounding box/connector (resulting in more cross-talk but possibly fewer ground loops)

3. Their 'technical' explanations sound plausible to folks that don't understand how ground actually works, but sounds like gobbledygook to anyone with basic a Physics education

To make it simple I will decide your questions in 1:1 and 2:1 etc.

1:1 No, not what they are suppose to do either

1:2 How do you know? Explain.

1:3 How do you know? Explain.

1:4 How do you know? Explain

1:5 How do you know? Explain

2:1 How do you know? Explain

2:2 Nothing wrong with a common ground AFAIK.

2:3 Then please explain to me as a guy that do understandfor these things!

🎛️  Audio System