IGNORED

How DOES the grounding boxes work?

41 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Can you explain why ground loops are out due to the fact that it is one connection only? Is it far off to assume that tourmaline stones neutralize ground loops by negative charges?

If the inputs to the box were commoned then we would have added yet another ground path between the components. Forget ions and the stones, no they would not negate a loop in any way, they are non conductive and play no real role in this (apart from marketing I am afraid).

5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

As I recall, your setup has multiple power supplies powering multiple devices. 

The grounding box may be identical to a ground lift. It is very possible that the alterations you make to your system in order to place the grounding box, may be what have the effect, rather than properties of the box itself.

Breaking ground loops would be a good explanation.

Thanks Jabbr! 

Right now I am using a floating SMPS (plugged into a floating IT) to power Brooklyn's 5v injection and Regen Amber simultaneously. Sounds great! I use to have separate battery power supplies for everything except my DAC/HPA that was plugged into a IT with a floating sec. The Entreq still improved SQ. 

Best spot in my setup is the Aqvox network switch for sure. I wish I knew why? 

🎛️  Audio System  

16 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Common sense isn't mind reading.

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the most obvious. But when the mission is avoidance of that possibility at all cost, more esoteric reasons must be chased.

Common sense is just a set of agreed rules, commonly accepted before somebody come and demonstrate it all wrong, or obsolete.

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I know about the system typology thread. I posted there as well. 

Here is my latest system typology for anyone here to view and comment upon. The Entreq Minimus is connected to the Aqvox switch.

5955fd2fb5959_Cornan-Asetup.jpg.e993f9bc9df30abb03cafdac12c1d064.thumb.jpg.ff438f79279d10290ec04d3f68661459.jpg

This system is complicated enough that any changes to the grounding connections could have an audible effect.

If you are looking for a scientific approach to how a "grounding box" works, you need to have the desire to disprove the "null hypothesis" and be willing to accept failure to do so. Look for explanations other than an intrinsic property of the box.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, plissken said:

Could you ask them for a technical on why the box works and what measurements they use to support their claims?

I was about to post the same thing.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

14 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Common sense is just a set of agreed rules, commonly accepted before somebody come and demonstrate it all wrong, or obsolete.

Agreed, so demonstrate walking on water or hearing this box (trust ears, just listening).

Otherwise, I'll stick to common sense.

4 minutes ago, jabbr said:

This system is complicated enough that any changes to the grounding connections could have an audible effect.

If you are looking for a scientific approach to how a "grounding box" works, you need to have the desire to disprove the "null hypothesis" and be willing to accept failure to do so. Look for explanations other than an intrinsic property of the box.

I have no problem accepting that a grounding box infact works as a kind of ground lift. The two have very similar if not the same improvements in general. It just feels like the grounding boxes does a "better job" cutting the GND than a proper removal does. Maybe that could be due to the fact that the GND wires are not lifted or that it "lifts the GND" in more than one place? ? 

🎛️  Audio System  

48 minutes ago, marce said:

If the inputs to the box were commoned then we would have added yet another ground path between the components. Forget ions and the stones, no they would not negate a loop in any way, they are non conductive and play no real role in this (apart from marketing I am afraid).

Yes, of course agreed.  Didn't know in the course of doing the wiring to the grounding box(es?) if anything else was changed.  The box isn't connected to power or ground anywhere else in the system, is it, @Cornan?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

58 minutes ago, jabbr said:

As I recall, your setup has multiple power supplies powering multiple devices. 

The grounding box may be identical to a ground lift. It is very possible that the alterations you make to your system in order to place the grounding box, may be what have the effect, rather than properties of the box itself.

Breaking ground loops would be a good explanation.

One of the few (wise) answers to what Cornan asked. I consider the rest of them a mockery of the unknown and of an artifact that has not been used by those who answered with irony and scorn, based, many of them, on physical science that they do not know in depth, and / or in graphics posted in some other forum.

BTW, I just built a grounding box, Kryptonite based. But beware, if you are Superman you better get a shot of Kryptonite Vaccine®.   Aluminum free, guaranteed !

Roch

PS/ Dennis, Salamander hormones intake are good for Diabetes.

16 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, of course agreed.  Didn't know in the course of doing the wiring to the grounding box(es?) if anything else was changed.  The box isn't connected to power or ground anywhere else in the system, is it, @Cornan?

My grounding box is connected to the GND screw in the back of my Aqvox switch-8, ie. not connected to power or ground. They could be connected to ground though, but can never replace ground.

🎛️  Audio System  

23 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Wow, referring to the OP as one whose "beliefs do not make sense".

Sounds pretty contemptuous and assumptive to me.

Mind reader perhaps?:)

Nope, just speaking generally of the studies and what they've found, and thus what the best strategy is if you feel you have information you can provide someone.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

41 minutes ago, Jud said:

And Chris pointed that out to the OP near the beginning of the thread.

And it's been ignored adding to the pool of data that starts pointing to delusion as a real reason.

You only need to be pleasant if you would like someone to listen to you.

I'm quite positive polite, technically sound points get equally ignored too.

The next time someone starts an explanation to you by making a point of letting you know you are deluded, wrong, and in need of a "crutch," please let me know how pleasant you feel the experience is (and also if this way of talking to you makes you more inclined to listen to what's being said).

Wouldn't be the first and surely won't be the last. However I'm capable of a well thought out position that generally has some research backing it up much to the chagrin of some members here.

If enough data is presented I'm of a mindset to listen as to not get to the point of being self deluded.

As a matter of fact I've been willing to PAY for my delusion about certain items making an audible difference to be corrected.

17 minutes ago, elcorso said:

One of the few (wise) answers to what Cornan asked. I consider the rest of them a mockery of the unknown and of an artifact that has not been used by those who answered with irony and scorn, based, many of them, on physical science that they do not know in depth, and / or in graphics posted in some other forum.

BTW, I just built a grounding box, Kryptonite based. But beware, if you are Superman you better get a shot of Kryptonite Vaccine®.   Aluminum free, guaranteed !

Roch

PS/ Dennis, Salamander hormones intake are good for Diabetes.

Why say that people who have bothered to answer and in many cases DO understand what is not going on, just because we (I personally) can not give an answer that is wanted (ie they do work) does not mean are answers are invalid... that's the problem with physics there are rules that even audiophile components cant break...