IGNORED

How DOES the grounding boxes work?

38 minutes ago, Jud said:

If you want to be scientific, there are studies about this.  Being confrontationally oppositional with individuals whose beliefs do not make sense has been shown in scientific studies to make them believe *even more strongly*.  So if you wish to be scientific about changing someone's mind, that is not the course to take.

I was scientific about it. The Entrec has been measured and posted about at WBF and AudioScienceReview.

You can't say I didn't give the reasoned, instrumented, approach first.

Exactly what is my responsibility to be 'nice' to someone that seemingly wants an answer, based in quackery, that isn't possible?

12 minutes ago, Cornan said:

My grounding box is connected to the GND screw in the back of my Aqvox switch-8, ie. not connected to power or ground. They could be connected to ground though, but can never replace ground.

OK, if it's a box on the end of a wire connected to nothing other than the ground screw, I can't think of a way it would affect ground/leakage currents.

The only other thing I can think of is what @marce and others have mentioned, an antenna.  Folks, is there any possible way this wire to the box could change something in the radiated RFI noise from the switch (the AQVOX-8, which is a modded D-Link) that would affect pickup of this radiated noise in the rest of the system?  (I realize we're getting a little far down the path here, but as a dear late friend of mine used to say, "Don't cost nothin'.")

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, YashN said:

That's laughable: if this measurement is from Amir, he doesn't know how to make proper measurements from the Audio Precision gear with regards to grounding isolation.

Anyone taking this measurement from audiosciencemockery or Amir is a quack.

I'm willing to look at whatever debunking information you have. Links please.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

@marceOK, if it's a box on the end of a wire connected to nothing other than the ground screw, I can't think of a way it would affect ground/leakage currents.

I'm concerned here Jud that you have been actively discussing a box that you didn't understand the construction of...

6 minutes ago, plissken said:

Exactly what is my responsibility to be 'nice' to someone that seemingly wants an answer, based in quackery, that isn't possible?

No responsibility whatever.  It just depends whether you care if the OP wants to listen, which he's shown some willingness to do if people treat him with the courtesy he requested at the start of the thread.  But you can keep on telling him all he wants to hear is quackery if you feel that will do a better job (or if you don't care whether it does a better job and you're not really talking to the OP).

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, Jud said:

No responsibility whatever.  It just depends whether you care if the OP wants to listen, which he's shown some willingness to do if people treat him with the courtesy he requested at the start of the thread.  But you can keep on telling him all he wants to hear is quackery if you feel that will do a better job (or if you don't care whether it does a better job and you're not really talking to the OP).

Lol. What on earth did Cornan post in this thread lead you to believe in him / her as a 'receptive' listener.

Sometimes information presented in these threads may be lost on the OP but serve as food for thought for others down the road.

Sometimes seeing the delusion of others will help see our own. I'm no exception to this.

Just now, plissken said:

I'm concerned here Jud that you have been actively discussing a box that you didn't understand the construction of...

It's not the construction, it's how he had it connected in his system.  I understand how it's intended to be used.  Paul earlier raised the possibility that it might affect ground currents, so I was exploring that possibility.  As you saw in my message, understanding how Cornan is using it, I've said I don't see how it could affect ground currents.

1 minute ago, plissken said:

I'm willing to look at whatever debunking information you have. Links please.

Do your own work, pal.

Do some research instead of continuously propagating mis-measurements and misinformation by Amir, as if you know something about science or audiophile pursuits.

I don't need to convince you, I've done my own work.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

1 minute ago, plissken said:

Lol. What on earth did Cornan post in this thread lead you to believe in him / her as a 'receptive' listener.

Heck, I still think of *you* as a potentially receptive listener.  :)

2 minutes ago, YashN said:

Do your own work, pal.

Do some research instead of continuously propagating mis-measurements and misinformation by Amir, as if you know something about science or audiophile pursuits.

I don't need to convince you, I've done my own work.

Chris, is it possible for you to ban YashN from this thread?

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

Chris, is it possible for you to ban YashN from this thread?

I'm trying to manage competing interests. I have PMs from people asking others to be banned not only from this thread but from the entire site.

If everyone just takes a step back, and realizes this is audio not brain surgery, we'll be OK.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, semente said:

One can educate without being scornful or putting down.

Be nice and make CA a better place; it's our responsibility.

We have a difference in opinion. I see my responses being tough, but I don't see them being unfair.

I think the hardest thing for Cornan to potentially have to come to grips with is that the grounding box may be adding noise to the system and it may be his preference. I know when I first showed him the measurements of the box that his reaction was visceral and very object to it.

That possibility would certainly erode away some who had built up themselves as some sort of connoisseur of audio to realize they have been listening to a noisy system and aligning it with an audiophile system.