IGNORED

How DOES the grounding boxes work?

4 hours ago, Jud said:

If you want to be scientific, there are studies about this.  Being confrontationally oppositional with individuals whose beliefs do not make sense has been shown in scientific studies to make them believe *even more strongly*.  ...

I've only seen a single study on that and it has been criticized heavily

More fundamentally, others read the posts here too.

Not to say that AJ was not his usual charming self :D

OTOH, he was most likely correct

2 hours ago, lasker98 said:

What's happened on this thread is the same thing that happens over and over and over and over in so many threads on this site.

Someone that has actual first hand experience with whatever is being discussed invariably ends up confronted by virtually the same group of forum members that show up in these threads to tell him/her why what they experienced is impossible. The main similarities among this group seem to be a higher education level (at least based on reading some of their posts), an overwhelming self-assured  belief that everything in the universe can be explained by their knowledge (I'm basing this on my reading of their posts only), which for most was likely gained in some form of educational institution many years ago, anyone that disagrees with them is most likely imagining things at best, or delusional at worst and finally, and the one defining similarity, the complete lack of any actual first hand experience with what is being discussed in the thread.

It's this last similarity which makes their input on these threads so pathetic. For all their education, knowledge, whatever it's called, it should be obvious ( at least to me) that without first hand experience, their comments have far less relevance than any of those from those with actual first hand experience, those same people that they're attempting to refute. Just because someone doesn't understand exactly how or why something functions, doesn't mean it's impossible. Don't these people think that if everyone through the ages thought like them, most of their cherished knowledge, scientific theories, physics, etc. would have never been discovered? For all their apparent knowledge, there seems to also be an astounding closed mindedness. The true pioneers are always the ones that say "what if...", not the ones who continuously say "that's impossible".

Perhaps if they had actually tried whatever product or suggestion for themselves, then their explanations or theories would be more welcomed.

I do apologize to the OP for the off topic rant.

I don't agree about the need for "first hand experience".

You don't need to drive a car with a missing wheel to know that it won't go far...

Since most phenomena involving audio electronics are easily explained by the laws of physics there will often be cases when it doesn't require listening to refute a listening impression.

Listening assessment is a very difficult, demanding and rather uncertain undertaking.

I have previously posted the interviews with two well regarded engineers that claimed not listen to their designs in the development stage (Peter Walker and Andrew Jones).

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

19 minutes ago, marce said:

And as we are talking about GROUND heres how to measure the noise:

http://www.analog.com/media/en/analog-dialogue/raqs/groundNoiseMeasurement.pdf

Maybe this paragraph from the pdf marce linked contains a clue?

"Many engineers treat ground planes as if they were made of a superconductor rather than copper and assume that, no matter the current flowing in them, every part of a ground plane is at the same potential. While such an assumption may be reasonable on PC cards bearing only logic circuitry (or it may not, if the logic is very fast), it can lead to unacceptably low performance in PC cards carrying high precision or high frequency analog circuitry."

It seems most assume all ground within a device is the same potential. I know I did. Maybe as described above these differences of potential within a given  ground system or ground plane are what these boxes are trying to manipulate?  Maybe the noise that's being picked up is somehow carrying current from the box back to the connection point, instead of the assumption that current is flowing from connection point to the box. Maybe what's inside the box facilitates this flow of current and is providing the source of it. This flow of current back to the connection point should change the potential of that point which may bring it closer to a more ideal level with respect to the rest of the ground plane/system. It seems having the entire ground plane at the same potential is a good thing. if these boxes are helping do this, then that could result in the sonic improvements some hear. Maybe that's why as Cornan stated, the boxes require some experimentation to find the best locations to use them. Maybe the "best" locations are those that have the greatest potential difference from the rest of the ground plane.

A lot of maybes for sure but who knows.

9 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

Maybe this paragraph from the pdf marce linked contains a clue?

"Many engineers treat ground planes as if they were made of a superconductor rather than copper and assume that, no matter the current flowing in them, every part of a ground plane is at the same potential. While such an assumption may be reasonable on PC cards bearing only logic circuitry (or it may not, if the logic is very fast), it can lead to unacceptably low performance in PC cards carrying high precision or high frequency analog circuitry."

It seems most assume all ground within a device is the same potential. I know I did. Maybe as described above these differences of potential within a given  ground system or ground plane are what these boxes are trying to manipulate?  Maybe the noise that's being picked up is somehow carrying current from the box back to the connection point, instead of the assumption that current is flowing from connection point to the box. Maybe what's inside the box facilitates this flow of current and is providing the source of it. This flow of current back to the connection point should change the potential of that point which may bring it closer to a more ideal level with respect to the rest of the ground plane/system. It seems having the entire ground plane at the same potential is a good thing. if these boxes are helping do this, then that could result in the sonic improvements some hear. Maybe that's why as Cornan stated, the boxes require some experimentation to find the best locations to use them. Maybe the "best" locations are those that have the greatest potential difference from the rest of the ground plane.

A lot of maybes for sure but who knows.

Interesting thoughts lasker98! Thanks for sharing! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

4 minutes ago, plissken said:

I wouldn't confuse an antenna with a PCB sporting mixed discrete components with high speed, billion transistor IC's, and multiple power rails.

I'm sure there's a point to this comment but I missed it. Care to elaborate?

1 minute ago, lasker98 said:

I'm sure there's a point to this comment but I missed it. Care to elaborate?

Why bring up grounds, where they are referenced from, when the box is simply an inert object that one end of an antenna connects to while the other end connects into something conductive like the rest of your audio system.

4 minutes ago, plissken said:

Why bring up grounds, where they are referenced from, when the box is simply an inert object that one end of an antenna connects to while the other end connects into something conductive like the rest of your audio system.

Wow! Just wow on so many levels.

I never heard of grounding boxes before, so I clicked on this thread. What a hot topic, 11 pages in less than a day! Amazing.9_9

I knew it was a hot subject when I started the thread, but even I was taken by surprise with the amounts of posts. I'll have to go back and re-read the posts later on, so I do not miss something important. I have'nt got all the time in the world to answer everyone. I've got kids at home to mind that couldn't care less about grounding boxes! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

You are betraying your own ignorance of science,  the fundamental basis of our civilization.

That says a lot about you 

This says a lot about you as well, if you think curiosity is not a part of scientific studies. Of course what does a layman as me know, you are the prof.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

17 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

Ah, thanks. So because you don't understand it it can't work?

I understand ground potential, mixed signal ground (read up on Henry Ott if interested).

Please find in ANY post where I said it didn't do something. I don't use the word 'work' for this device because it, demonstrably, should improve the noise floor if believing it is affecting ground. It raises it.

Now that COULD be a preference.

You seem to have me confused with someone else that says the box can't do anything.

So it's safer to assume that Entreq has been around 16 or 17 years, based out of a 12,000 sq/m building selling products designed solely to deceive an unsuspecting customer base? Sorry to say that doesn't work for me. I personally don't have that little respect for the human race.

You mean this building:

entreq.thumb.png.0f0b78af876375c8bac671135800e2f0.png

I much prefer thinking even though I don't have a clue how this works, there must be something to it. Maybe not for me, since I haven't actually tried it, but obviously for some.

We have a clue as to how it works: It's an Antenna.

You are now replying to me and you have reached beyond your technical limits.

1 hour ago, marce said:

Get a scope, stick a bit of wire in the input, look at the screen... 1st thing you do when playing with a scope for the first time, put an ungrouned lead in, grab the end and look at the screen, its fun and enlightening. Then you start probing everything.

When we are doing signal integrity we model scope leads so that we can add the loading to the simulation to get a truer picture (!) of what they will see on a scope with a probe. We can also see what the waveform looks like without a scope, So we simulate and work on the real waveform and use l probe loaded waveforms to confirm the results...

And as we are talking about GROUND heres how to measure the noise:

http://www.analog.com/media/en/analog-dialogue/raqs/groundNoiseMeasurement.pdf

Thanks for sharing marce! Is there a more simple way to see if the antenna theory is correct or not, without having to buy a scope? I was'nt really planning to get a lab for the job! ?

🎛️  Audio System