IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Bottom line is this:

Lossless encoders can handle any signal. 

Lossy encoders can handle certain types of music. 

Any bending and twisting to explain why mQa requires a musical signal, not a test signal, only proves the point that mQa is lossy. Period. No need to get into the weeds. 

My request was genuine—so, thank you Chris, thank you botrytis, thank you March Audio. I much better understand the points you're making.

Why doesn't one of you who is willing to use his name send a letter to Stereophile? I bet they'll print it. Jim Austin acknowledges several of MQA's issues in his editorial—wouldn't that be a good way to further your argument with a different constituency than CA (where I'd say the battle is won—talk about preaching to the choir!) one that, if they like MQA, feel that way because they believe it sounds better. That kind of dialog, in my opinion, would serve everyone well.

21 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

My request was genuine—so, thank you Chris, thank you botrytis, thank you March Audio. I much better understand the points you're making.

Why doesm't one of you who is willing to use his name send a letter to Stereophile? I bet they'll print it.

Honestly? Chris has already tried to do that at RMAF. Did you watch the video of that? The MQA people Rude, loud, and obnoxious and those were the people who ACTUALLY work for MQA. They added nothing. Now you want us to do that again? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

I am not an expert, in this area, nor do I claim to be. I am an end user and want to be educated. When I say that, I mean technically educated, not educated from marketing speak which means nothing.

Mr. Stuart likes to say that he based MQA on auditory science. I can say, with out a doubt, his assertion there is 20 years behind the times. WHY? There are many new papers out that show that ultrasonics DO AFFECT our hearing and that instruments do make sounds in those areas. So his assertion that ultrasonics are not needed is flawed. If he based MQA on that, well then the whole codec is flawed - period.

There's life above 20 kilohertz! A survey of musical instrument spectra to 102.4 kHz (caltech.edu)

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

3 minutes ago, botrytis said:

WHY? there are many new papers out that show that ultrasonics DO AFFECT our hearing and that instruments do make sounds in those areas. So his assertion that ultrasonics are not needed is flawed.

????????????

1) there is NO research that unambiguously proves that healthy people aged above 20 years or so can perceive >20kHz sound through the normal pathway of air + ears. There are quite a few papers trying this, most of these have been debunked sufficiently.

2) Stuart's position is that ultrasound does matter! That's why MQA tries to push it through a 44.1kHz carrier. The original MQA papers carry a very long list of references, including many of the papers in point 1) above. Plus a whole bunch that are quite irrelevant upon closer inspection.

18 minutes ago, Fokus said:

????????????

1) there is NO research that unambiguously proves that healthy people aged above 20 years or so can perceive >20kHz sound through the normal pathway of air + ears. There are quite a few papers trying this, most of these have been debunked sufficiently.

2) Stuart's position is that ultrasound does matter! That's why MQA tries to push it through a 44.1kHz carrier. The original MQA papers carry a very long list of references, including many of the papers in point 1) above. Plus a whole bunch that are quite irrelevant upon closer inspection.

Then I am corrected.

There are papers.

ultrasonic-hearing-in-humans-applications-for-tinnitus-treatment.pdf (tinnitusjournal.com)

Effects of very high-frequency sound and ultrasound on humans. Part I: Adverse symptoms after exposure to audible very-high frequency sound: The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America: Vol 144, No 4 (scitation.org)

Review of Audiovestibular Symptoms Following Exposure to Acoustic and Electromagnetic Energy Outside Conventional Human Hearing (nih.gov)

just a cursory glance - there are others.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

The first paper concerns bone conduction and is not relevant here.

The second stops at 20kHz, which to audio engineers is still the aduible band, readily served by CD.

The third paper I did not delve in deeply, but I would not be surprised if it concerned ultra sound at idiotically high levels, not something one would encounter in music.

13 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Did you read the papers? I selected this one copied above for a closer look. It doesn't test for audibility at all – it was testing for physiological symptoms such as nausea, pain or tinnitus.

Furthermore, the test tones started at 12kHz. Hardly ultrasonic and not relevant to the discussion here.

It really pays to read studies before citing them ;)

Volumio (with PEQ) on RPi4, Khadas Tone Board DAC, Luxman L-230 amp, Rega RS5 speakers

I have read them. The point is there is information out there - see above description of my background. 

Measurements of of ultrasonics has been limited to animals that can actually hear in those ranges, like bats and cetaceans. It is becoming of more interest to scientist recently.

Just because it doesn't hearing, doesn't mean it is not applicable. Too many people do not think outside the box enough. Not saying it is y'all.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

10 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I happen to have a wide field of references in science. The fields I have worked in are (in no particular order):

1. Petrochemistry (have a patent)

2. Biofuels

3. Plant Pathology

4. Instrument design and testing

5. mycology/microbiology

6. Environmental Science (EPA contractor)

7. Artisan distilling industry

8 Cannabis research (current)

The point is, too many people think too narrowly and miss much information that is related and could be used but don't. That is the way I think and sometimes it startles people how I pull in what seems like disparate information to explain something, but I haven't been wrong, so far.

In opinions, yes, I can be wrong and often am. But, I try to admit when I am wrong and learn. That is what a good scientist does. There are always people out there who know more than you, especially when you stop learning and rest on your laurels.

Another example from another walk of life:

https://robjhyndman.com/hyndsight/statistics-vs-econometrics/#:~:text=Econometrics is often “theory driven,to be “data driven”.&text=Typically, econometricians test theory using,after looking at data sets.

From the outside it looks as if the statistician and the econometrician do the same. Buried below the surface are great gaps between the two.

21 minutes ago, botrytis said:

That is the way I think and sometimes it startles people how I pull in what seems like disparate information to explain something, but I haven't been wrong, so far.

And that is very good. But in the case of the audibility of airborne ultrasonic sound in the context of music I am afraid you are not going to find much.