IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

As Stereophile doesn't publish content from anonymous sources, your question is moot.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Does that mean you ignore and/or don't try corroborate anonymous tips/information/possible facts OR does it mean that you will always identify your sources?

(sincere, somewhat neutral question)

v

11 hours ago, botrytis said:

There is no mQa news as it is the same ol' same ol'

You are right. MQA stays the same but things around it don’t, sort of.

Let me try to explain.

First we had «MQA is lossless». Then we had «MQA is better than lossless». What happened on the way?

MQA is an excellent tool for separating fake from real. This outburst from Amir/ASR, where he uses all tricks to discredit a person ( @GoldenOne ) he disagrees with, is telling:

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/blind-test-we-have-a-volunteer.23857/page-13#post-805315

[For the link to work one has to replace the quotation marks around «science» with period (.) sign]

And then we have other journalists whose view on anonymity, whistle blowers and power balance has come up to the surface.

In my view, MQA is a big success.

13 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

For the sake of full disclosure and openness, could you answers the following questions.

During your tenure at Stereophile, what percentage of the market did Meridian hold?

I have no idea.

During your tenure at Stereophile, how many reviews were made of Meridian equipment?

24 Meridian products were reviewed in that period. To put that number into context, there were 41 reviews of Audio Research products, 37 reviews of Sony products, 32 reviews of PS Audio products. 23 reviews of PSB products, etc etc.

What is your relationship with Bob Stuart?

I have been acquainted with Bob Stuart since the late 1970s, but I have no relationship with him any more than I do with the dozens of other audio engineers with whom I interact as an editor or reviewer.

John Atkinson

12 hours ago, botrytis said:

What % of advertising dollars are from MQA. Not the amount, just the % would be useful. This gets to the meat of the nut.

MQA has never advertised in Stereophile, so the answer to your question is 0%.

And to forestall other questions, manufacturers of D/A processors that are compatible with MQA advertise in Stereophile but so do manufacturers of similar products that are not compatible with MQA. The same appears to be the case with Audiophile Style.

John Atkinson

10 hours ago, vmartell22 said:

Does that mean you ignore and/or don't try corroborate anonymous tips/information/possible facts OR does it mean that you will always identify your sources?

I ignore anonymous tips. Not that I am sent any anonymous tips.

In the case of the articles/videos that are being discussed here, I read/watch them to learn what is being said. Nut unit the authors publish using their real names that's all I do.

John Atkinson

12 hours ago, Currawong said:

In your first post, not after the omission is pointed out. 

I did. In the first post on this subject where I wrote "Having worked in audio magazine publishing for 45 years, I strongly believe that if you are going to publish opinions and test results that may result in financial consequences for those whom you write about, you must do so using your actual name. With one exception - an exception that was agreed to before I joined the magazine - every contributor to Stereophile signs his work with his real name."

See audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/?do=findComment&comment=1137995

John Atkinson

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

MQA has never advertised in Stereophile, so the answer to your question is 0%.

And to forestall other questions, manufacturers of D/A processors that are compatible with MQA advertise in Stereophile but so do manufacturers of similar products that are not compatible with MQA. The same appears to be the case with Audiophile Style.

John Atkinson

Mr. Atkinson - you replied quickly and courteously - Thank you.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

59 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

should be "But until"

John Atkinson

but you gotta admit - the typo IS funny.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

4 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Apparently, the author did not understand what is meant by "MQA stereo original resolution". He should have been able to discern what the file was after playing it. But the fact that he couldn't make the correct determination even then makes me dubious of his entire article.

But, mQa mavens will point to this a definitive proof that it mQa is better. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

It is not that I am not interested in how the other half spends their coin, it doesn't bother me at all, but it shows who the press is really supporting, the manufacturers. The audience for the magazines are the manufacturers and the product is to influence the buyers.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

25 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I have to give credit to Bob Stuart and John Atkinson. They are both in their seventies, a time when most are retired and enjoying their golden years.

And yet they are still manning the ramparts against the "anonymous bloggers" that are launching truth bombs.

Well, I am 60 and still doing cutting edge biotech research. Most people though may need to be pushed out because they are not cutting edge, just also ran type of stuff. I ran into this during my Post Doc.

I love Mr Atkinson's objective measurements, that is something I totally respect and look forward to seeing. He gets my whole hearted thanking on that.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

3 hours ago, botrytis said:

but you gotta admit - the typo IS funny.

Perhaps revealing how he truly feels about some of us... 👺

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull