IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

@ARQuintWith regard to your otherwise competent review of the Odeon Absolute DAC:

Negatives or compromises, if you will? No MQA, if you happen to be a fan.

Really? This is a broken effing record from the main stream audio press, the obligatory swipe at any digital piece not bowing to the throne of BS, isn't it?

Shameful, at this late stage, and after all the BS claims have been long ago fully debunked, and even lame-ass supposed subjective listening preference also highly questionable in the context of the McGill study, how is it possible TAS thinks any/all mention of Master Quality Approximated is in any way important or relevant to the prospective buyer of a piece like the Odeon Absolute DAC?

Did you think adding the "if you happen to be a fan" part actually absolved you of any complicity? Did your editor ask you to add that bit about no Master Quality Adulterated, or do you personally feel it is truly relevant and useful information to the readers of TAS, and that the review would be incomplete without it?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Bottom line -- esp with MQA -- if they keep on selling the compressed cr*p that almost every POP and many classical recordings are, then MQA solves nothing.   I can pretty much prove the compression by demo and existance proof.   That does NOT mean that I have always been 100% successful at recovering the original uncompressed material, but I can come close.   By encapsulating the audio into MQA, it becomes more difficult to prove the dishonesty of the distributors.

The difference between 'clean' recordings and most consumer recordings can be anything from 'who cares?' to substantial improvement.

Bottom line -- MQA is further damage to already damaged material.

The audiophile consumer deserves better quality, not worse.

9 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

At this juncture why any DAC manufacturer would even bother is beyond me,

Maybe because some manufacturers have lots of customers requesting it... ?

Remember the Paul McGowan discussion? Where he says he doesn't like MQA and we don't need MQA but he included it in DirectStream DAC because he had loads of customers phoning in asking for it?

Is it possible this has happened with more manufacturers? 

Is it possible there are more people requesting it from manufacturers than there are voicing displeasure on this thread?

And this is all coming from someone (me) that would rather MQA go away.

2 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Is it possible this has happened with more manufacturers? 

It is possible, though no one will ever know the real numbers involved, and the blame for that lies with the audio press for their relentless and reckless promotion of all things Master Quality Adulterated.

It's also possible that those very same manufacturers are not innovators, and are merely looking for the easy way out with regard to shifting boxes, so they play the game of "tick the feature list".

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group