IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

The problem I have with people listening to MQA is that MQA themselves put on a  number of demonstrations where they completely controlled all aspects of the demonstration and did not allow examination of the sources.

In other cases comparisons were made where the provenance of the recordings could not be authenticated. It would have been more authentic if an independent mastering engineer had processed both versions from exactly the same master.

In some cases comparisons are made after the listeners are told which is which.

There are people who say that they prefer MQA. I do not believe that they are a preponderance of of music consumers. In blind tests it shows that people do not pick MQA.

For the minority of people that say they prefer MQA, is it worth the cost of implementing MQA and the loss of choice to the music consumer?  Is it worth all the BS that goes along with MQA?  We absolutely do not need MQA in order to get the best music!  MQA is simply a scheme to take money from the music consumer and restrict the availability of music to the music consumer. The studios want to tell you what music you will have access to and how often you will pay them for the next "remake".

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Posted by Twitless Machines-

https://twitteringmachines.com/mqa-that-sounds-good-to-me/

"t’s OK to enjoy MQA. You can even say, “MQA sounds good!” without adding “to me” because when we say things like “sounds good” or “tastes good”, we are necessarily voicing an opinion. And we all know no one owns the right opinion."

In this context MQA is bad for artists, bad for the recording process, bad for consumers and doesn't sound better. In any case on February 6th MQA will only be available on two small platforms, Tidal and Nug.net. Tidal kept afloat in 2019 by not paying its bills. And where can you download MQA files in the United States these days?

10 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

In any case on February 6th MQA will only be available on two small platforms, Tidal and Nug.net.

What's so special about the date Feb 6th?

What happens that date?

10 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Tidal kept afloat in 2019 by not paying its bills

And 2020?

MQA aside they are still spending on development - the Tidal app continues to get lots of great improvements. And Tidal Connect is a great new feature coming to more gear.

28 minutes ago, UkPhil said:

The same goes for erasing the 16bit PCM versions off Tidal and leaving the MQA equivalents only nobody could compare them 

I don't want to be paranoid or make up conspiracy theories... But sometimes when this kind of thing happens, it's hard not to!

👽😈

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

On 1/12/2021 at 12:24 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is truly amazing. As of December 4, 2020, MQA is still using the lossless term and at the same time suggesting its better than lossless. Wow, can we get just a tiny bit of honesty from this company. 

https://mqa.jp/article/is-mqa-lossless/

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 5.22.16 PM.png

Waitwaitwait... "the unified standards team that first developed lossless compression 30 years ago" ?!?!?!

Anybody mind elaborating on that please ?

(and yeah, MLP, I get it, but, still... if there's no nuance stripped in translation, a bit of a bold claim, no ?)

9 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

What's so special about the date Feb 6th?

What happens that date?

And 2020?

MQA aside they are still spending on development - the Tidal app continues to get lots of great improvements. And Tidal Connect is a great new feature coming to more gear.

Xiami Music is closing down February 5th so no Chinese steaming service using MQA.

I try to stick to facts anyone can see for themselves so I posted information from the recently published 2019 financial statements.  2020 may see Tidal closing in on financial neverland where trade and other payables exceed revenue.

Xiami Music had  a nice app too and it didn't help them.

9 hours ago, Archimago said:

I don't want to be paranoid or make up conspiracy theories... But sometimes when this kind of thing happens, it's hard not to!

👽😈

Let us avoid paranoia and conspiracy theories and go with this. Mike Jbara CEO MQA Ltd., and I talked, emailed, and had a phone conversion after 2018 RMAF that began after Chris’s MQA presentation. Our October 16, 2018 emails discuss that there is more content prepped than are on the streaming services today.

For Tidal adding more MQA content from Warner may have a simpler explanation. Give Tidal something to market to help keep them alive or make Tidal look more attractive to a potential buyer like Jack Dorsey.

Because at some point the labels would like to be paid and they are not currently.

Project Panther Bidco financials for 2019 that were just posted, do not look good.  It seems like now is the make or break time for Tidal.

Was the introduction of the new Warner MQA titles a boost or a bust for Tidal?

Dorsey may be buying Tidal at a firesale price.

The results of the infusion of MQA titles to Tidal will have ramifications for MQA Ltd.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

And, I think the worst part is looking at that video of RMAF 2018 and thinking that these are the people that want to control the future distribution of music.

I wouldn’t want them washing my car. I can see it now, “that scratch was there before you came in” “you never said don’t use sandpaper” etc...

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png