IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, daverich4 said:

I have no idea what you’re blathering on about. I didn’t find out about Tidal from Stereophile or TAS. I do find out about other things from them, mostly suggested music to listen to but sometimes equipment. No sheep involved. 

www.dailyaudiophile.com

34 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Well maybe MQA will prevent smear attacks.

Wouldn't that be prevent blur attacks?  You have to admit goal scoring is a temporally dependent phenomena.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Oh come on now.  15 bits is more audible.  With 24 bits too much sound falls into too deep a hole and isn't heard.  The aliasing just fills in the somewhat silent parts and is masked in the loud parts.  ;)

Eh, correct me if .i am wrong, but 16bits is about 20% above the noise level of most equipment, and 24 bits is about 20% below the noise level? 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

26 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

You are wrong.

That's okay -  but you are now invited to provide the correct information.  I would expect the extra 48db of lower noise floor means the limiting noise floor would be the analog devices - i.e. the mic and pre-amplifier. Also, modern converters are only using about 20-22db of the 24bits. 

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

Eh, correct me if .i am wrong, but 16bits is about 20% above the noise level of most equipment, and 24 bits is about 20% below the noise level? 

Well, I wasn't being serious.  

OTOH, you are wrong.  I don't know what the noise level of most equipment is.  But if 16 bits is 20% above, 24 bits isn't 20% below.  

20% is only about 1.58 db.  

Now percent db doesn't really make sense if you meant most equipment is 20 bit capable and 16 bit is 4 bits higher with 24 bits being 4 bits lower.  Nor do I think most equipment is 20 bit capable in terms of SNR or dynamic range. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 minute ago, esldude said:

Well, I wasn't being serious.  

OTOH, you are wrong.  I don't know what the noise level of most equipment is.  But if 16 bits is 20% above, 24 bits isn't 20% below.  

20% is only about 1.58 db.  

Now percent db doesn't really make sense if you meant most equipment is 20 bit capable and 16 bit is 4 bits higher with 24 bits being 4 bits lower.  Nor do I think most equipment is 20 bit capable in terms of SNR or dynamic range. 

Gads, silly me.  Change the dang "%" to "db".  Sorry, I proofread that but I must have had a brain misfire. 

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein

27 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

You might find this amusing....posted today by Lavorgna:

"...Computer audio is dead and streaming has killed it. Of course there are still people interested in music storage, disc-ripping, and high-res downloads but these people are part of a demographic—Age. Seeing as I’ve been getting AARP literature for coming up on a decade, I speak as a member. Hell, I’m old enough to remember when being able to quote something was impressive."

Would love to see someone stream without a computer (on either end of the stream). It just so happens most of the first world has a pocket sized computer that makes phone calls and plays music. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

11 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Dave here are a couple of pictures of the audio press at t.h.e. Show in Long Beach recently courtesy of Eric Franklin Shook of the Part-Time Audiophile and some sheep in Oregon just before they got a treat.  The press got booze, the sheep clover notice the similar herding.

The press at the show 1.jpg

The press at the show 2.jpg

Sheep Oregon.jpg

You post some pictures of members of the audio press at an industry get together and pictures of some sheep and somehow there’s a connection? You keep presenting yourself here as some kind of “industry insider” so I suspect this is mostly a case of you being cheesed you weren’t invited. 

The combined efforts at stereotyping lacked originality.  Or so I've gathered.

One normally easily applied and taken off element in there conjured a ridiculously funny image.  An unexpectedly skillful punchline right at the end relevant to MQA over the personal insults.  Almost as bad as Pan-el speaker fishing in Chris' thread.  

5 hours ago, daverich4 said:

You post some pictures of members of the audio press at an industry get together and pictures of some sheep and somehow there’s a connection? You keep presenting yourself here as some kind of “industry insider” so I suspect this is mostly a case of you being cheesed you weren’t invited. 

You have it backwards the press wasn't invited where I was.