IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 hours ago, daverich4 said:

Boy, I hope not. I regularly use Tidal to decide if I want to buy something and for me it’s integration into Roon works really well. 

Qobuz does both just as well

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Spotify works just as well for that purpose.

But not with Roon. I add music I think I might be interested in to my Roon library and leave it there for a while. After living with it for a while I buy it if I like it enough to do so and if not, I delete it from my library.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Qobuz does both just as well

Just out of curiosity, what’s the big knock on Tidal by so many here? MQA? Most of the time I find out about new music by reading about it and I’ve saved myself a ton of money by not buying music it turns out I don’t care for. 

10 hours ago, Daccord said:

I don't understand the schadenfreude. I am firmly in the anti-MQA camp, but in Canada 7digital is the only place I can consistently find redbook downloads and Tidal is the only lossless streaming service that actually works. I'll be sad to see either of them go.

I'm reporting what 7digital announced April 11th. If they don't get material additional funding they will go out of business. On June 7th they reported revenue for the first six months will be down compared to last year. 

As for Project Panther Bidco to me and Tidal to you, Jay Z has put everything but Reasonable Doubt on Apple Music. A hedging move. The auditor's opinion notes without additional funding the companies ability to continue is in doubt. Right now Jay Z needs a valuation of $100 million dollars to have a net worth of $1 billion dollars. I've been reporting Tidal financial problems since June of 2017.  It is an interesting juggle between valuation and financial results.

I actually hoped 7digital would succeed everywhere but with MQA but the old business model didn't work and I have to wonder about the new one.

As for Tidal, I believe based on research by McKinsey & Co in a digital marketplace there are only winners. What has Tidal done to gain market share? 

35 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

Just out of curiosity, what’s the big knock on Tidal by so many here? MQA? Most of the time I find out about new music by reading about it and I’ve saved myself a ton of money by not buying music it turns out I don’t care for. 

Some people don't like the MQA thing, others don't like the push of hip hop and similar music. Qobuz has non MQA hi-res. Some prefer the jazz and classical catalog of Qobuz. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

20 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Would you have heard of Tidal without the audio press pushing it? 

Yes, that isn't where I found out about it. I read about it when Jay-Z bought it. In any event, I find out all kinds of things by reading about them in the audio press. Why is that something bad?

1 hour ago, daverich4 said:

With some folks here, I expect it is Tidal’s advocacy for MQA. With me, it is a dislike for the owners. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

3 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

One of my main points is MQA isn't better as a format. There is good and bad but mostly there is no difference if you volume match. You are safe.

The only person I've ridden out of town on a rail was Lee Scoggins. I listen carefully to what one of his former employers McKinsey  & Co says about digital business, he didn't. And I have little patience for someone who worked on Wall Street and doesn't understand consolidated financial statements.

Do you find interesting that he has been utterly silent about MQA on any other forum, including Hoffman where he was a major advocate? In fact he posted recently he likes Qobuz better than Tidal in many respects. I think there is a very deep dark back story to his MQA evangelism. Just my opinion btw.

19 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Do you find interesting that he has been utterly silent about MQA on any other forum, including Hoffman where he was a major advocate? In fact he posted recently he likes Qobuz better than Tidal in many respects. I think there is a very deep dark back story to his MQA evangelism. Just my opinion btw.

There are some people you want on the other side, Lee is one of them. I'm not particularly interested in what he does. Or that JVS told me he didn't receive any compensation from MQA Ltd at t.h.e. Show in Long Beach. Now the rumor I heard that ESPN was licensing MQA is interesting.

38 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I use the Daily Audiophile as my front end to access audio sites. Do I need to post a picture of sheep to reinforce the herd mentality of the audio press?

I have no idea what you’re blathering on about. I didn’t find out about Tidal from Stereophile or TAS. I do find out about other things from them, mostly suggested music to listen to but sometimes equipment. No sheep involved. 

2 hours ago, daverich4 said:

For me personally, my preference for Qobuz came down to 3 things: (1) Subjectively, I felt the sound quality was better. (2) Tidal's catalog wasn't so extensive for many of the relatively lesser-selling artists and genres that I like that it saved me a lot of money on new music, or more important, turned me on to a lot of great new artists. (3) Yeah, the MQA thing. I don't like the idea of adding to the stat sheet of a company so associated with MQA.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

Now the rumor I heard that ESPN was licensing MQA is interesting.

Why would ESPN be interested in MQA?  I don't get it.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

12 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

Just a quick search and I see that Disney owns 80% of ESPN, and the Disney Music Group is part of the Music Business Association.

The Disney Music Group includes record labels that are distributed by Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group, and Polydor Records depending on the region.

There are connections and board members that golf and dine together.

When the easiest solution is the the person who told me is not informed, go with that.