IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

4 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Would you prefer that I kept bringing up Martin Colloms and the increasing number of A.S members that have already verified my main reports ?  There are now several highly respected, and high profile qualified members among them.

It's not my fault if you, and a core group of members, are unwilling to even investigate the proof that I have offered to make available on numerous occasions, as well as the material that is available in My Profile.

I don’t prefer anything regarding your posts. I was merely pointing out that your fallback position in discussions is the “Appeal To Authority” of Mr. Diament. 

7 minutes ago, mansr said:

I was going to mention The Colloms, but Alex beat me to it. There's also that guy with the Bricasti DAC.

You really must have a highly selective memory, because there are also members such the designer of one of the best DACs currently available, Mani, acg, (all 3 were involved in the same C.A. thread where they confirmed hearing differences) and quite a few lesser well known members besides Audiophile Neuroscience, as well as now another 2 very high profile long term members.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

39 minutes ago, sandyk said:

You really must have a highly selective memory, because there are also members such the designer of one of the best DACs currently available, Mani, acg, (all 3 were involved in the same C.A. thread where they confirmed hearing differences) and quite a few lesser well known members besides Audiophile Neuroscience, as well as now another 2 very high profile long term members.

Pics or it didn't happen.

mQa is dead!

9 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Unfortunately, the thread that I mentioned is no longer is accessible as the original links no longer worked after a forum upgrade.However, the thread is probably still findable, but would be time consuming to find.

The name of the 2 comparison tracks used in this thread was  Unter Donna und Blitz Polka (Thunder and Lightning Polka) from the album in the attached photo.

Ein Straussfest- Erich Kunzel  - Tracks.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Hi John

Barry's 24/192 material IS sold to consumers.

I think that we should agree to disagree on the merits of high res LPCM or DSD, as there are a large percentage  of members and people world wide who love those formats and prefer them over RBCD for whatever reasons, including a less abrupt roll off of frequencies above 22kHz.

It seems highly likely that we have yet to discover the definitive reasons why many people have this preference.

There is obviously some reason that they do, and in fact our member Teresa , before Alzheimers afflicted her, found something about RBCD that annoyed her, yet high res material including DSD did not.

I seriously doubt that it came down to the poor design of her source either.

Kind Regards

Alex

Unfortunately your little crusade is moot. There is a minuscule amount, and that is being generous,  amount of  popular music recorded natively at 24/192.  Let's move on.

24 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Unfortunately, the thread that I mentioned is no longer is accessible as the original links no longer worked after a forum upgrade.However, the thread is probably still findable, but would be time consuming to find.

The name of the 2 comparison tracks used in this thread was  Unter Donna und Blitz Polka (Thunder and Lightning Polka) from the album in the attached photo.

Ein Straussfest- Erich Kunzel  - Tracks.jpg

Give me the old link and I’ll make it work. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

33 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Give me the old link and I’ll make it work. 

Chris

Unfortunately I removed the reference to that link some time back after I found it no longer worked .

I tried doing a search again this morning using the title of the track used, even with Google,  but came up empty.

Peter,Mani and Anthony can confirm the existence of the original thread.

Alex

'

P.S.

One of several referencesthat I can find to the existence of that thread is here, it was before May 25 2016

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/39048-wav-or-flac/page/8/   Post 195

26 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Well, while guys have been having fun, I've been spreading my brand of darkness around the web. Find a positive comment and post enjoy MQA and Tidal while you can. 

I love the spreading of darkness. After all, the Scandinavian countries, including Denmark and Norway, are the darkest, and yet most content according to the UN.🙂

1 minute ago, Rt66indierock said:

I didn’t even use my blue laser pointer on JVS or Ken  Forsythe at t.h.e. Show in Long Beach.

Can we get a MQA and/or Tidal Deathwatch thread going.  Whats the over/under about 6 months?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

13 hours ago, John Dyson said:

But -- when there is music at that frequency (when there is) -- you cannot hear it unless you start getting into the high SPL levels -- then other problems ensue.  It is a ZERO win for distributing material above 20kHz or so.  (I am NOT saying relgiously at 20kHz -- just that the cost/benefit drops rapidly.)

BTW -- it is okay for 'experts'  to be wrong all of the time...  That is okay -- but I am correct about the 20kHz thing.  Also, the 'splat' thing is certainly dependent on the situation...  You are speaking wtih Barry that he is using a pristine internal/professional recording source.  For distribution -- lots of nonsense gets mixed in.  I look at all kinds of distributions that get to the consumers -- The same material/different distributions  have different distortions/ control tones/etc.

Geesh -- I can create a test tone just as high in frequency as anyone else, but above about 18kHz (21-22kHz in some very special people), it cannot be heard.  Don't even bring in the idea of transients -- that has nothing to do with it -- unless the SPL is powdering you.

Note that I am a 40yr EE/Computer (EE Analog, all kinds of computer, degree in EE -- not technologist) person from Bell Labs, on the other hand -- a recording technologist knows his world -- that is okay, but what I am telling you is a physical true engineering fact (not only as a technologist -- user of equipment.)

You are comparing Barry's (or whoever my daddy is bigger than your daddy expernt) LAB experience with real world material that is sold to consumers -- different things.   The splats are almost IMPOSSIBLE to distinguish from pure material -- and in fact the splats might LOOK nicer, but they are wrong.   (Actually, I do believe that I can seperate some of the splat energy from the signal -- the DHNRDS decoder does that, but it all depends on the circumstance.)

Barry can generate a 100k test tone, then I can generate a 101k test tone -- got the idea? 

John

You're stuck on frequency. I am not sure anyone is claiming the frequency response is the key factor.

Whatever that factor or factors happens to be, or what combination of factors. If you listen to a direct analog mic feed, then listen to whatever it records, the sample rate / format that sounds as much like the mic feed is often to be preferred. It’s a fact, though different people choose somewhat different settings as “the best.” That is possibly because of different equipment.

Arguing that sample rate provides no benefit because you can’t hear anything that a 16/44.1 recording cannot reproduce is not very productive. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

4 hours ago, esldude said:

Can we get a MQA and/or Tidal Deathwatch thread going.  Whats the over/under about 6 months?

OHhh - count me in in Tidal Deathwatch.  Has there been new news of Tidal’s eminent demise? Please say yes. 🤬

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Re my post 15036

The original thread has apparently been removed, but Peter discusses some of the results in this thread from 2016

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/28395-donner-und-blitz/

The track discussed can be found in MY Profile.

Please, no discussion about this in this thread which is about MQA .

Alex

6 hours ago, Paul R said:

OHhh - count me in in Tidal Deathwatch.  Has there been new news of Tidal’s eminent demise? Please say yes. 🤬

Boy, I hope not. I regularly use Tidal to decide if I want to buy something and for me it’s integration into Roon works really well. 

8 hours ago, Daccord said:

I don't understand the schadenfreude. I am firmly in the anti-MQA camp, but in Canada 7digital is the only place I can consistently find redbook downloads and Tidal is the only lossless streaming service that actually works. I'll be sad to see either of them go.

Wet blankets are the only ones that survive sending up smoke signals.  Or cutting off air to undesirable fires.  

Fostering of new and current growth will remain a priority of many here.  ☝