IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

7 hours ago, esldude said:

But yes if an instrument or other sound caused intermodulation into the audible band, microphones will record it.

Unless there is intermodulation occurring within our ears. Anything happening outside our ears will obviously be captured by a microphone.

I do sometimes wonder whether a liking for audio that has spurious ultrasonics, such as MQA, is due to our missing some slight level of ultrasonics in live sound, however we may sense the presence of them (bone conduction, ...?).

As I say, it's something I'm occasionally curious about, not anything I'm contending is necessarily significant or real.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

I do sometimes wonder whether a liking for audio that has spurious ultrasonics, such as MQA, is due to our missing some slight level of ultrasonics in live sound, however we may sense the presence of them (bone conduction, ...?).

As I say, it's something I'm occasionally curious about, not anything I'm contending is necessarily significant or real.

I've said more than a few times I can detect ultrasonics from a crash cymbal when I'm hitting it (bone conduction probably). But I can't detect them listening 10 feet away. But then Richard Vandersteen considers my hearing abilities "lucky." 

OMG -- sorry about replying to my own post -- but regarding 'splats' which happen *to some degree* on almost any automatic gain control device.   The splat (IMD) characteristics depend on both the gain control mechnaism and the signal.

I got some very encouraging results with the DHNRDS decoder WRT 'splats' (haven't checked in a few weeks) - doing ANY DolbyA processing on the old HW, encoding or decoding, will produce IMD splats across the audio spectrum -- even without extreme transients in the audio.  (The effect is paradoxically a softening/fuzzing of the sound.)  

My DHNRDS measurement show ZERO measurable splats in the ever so important higher audio frequencies, even where they could happen.  This very nice observation does NOT utilize the absolute IMD avoidance of band splitting... 

Band splitting: the DA decoder splits the audio band up so that the audible below 20kHz doesn't create splats into the super-audio range, and the super-audio range cannot create IMD that drops into the audio range.

Additionally on the DHNRDS DA -- recently made some trajectory shaping improvements -- even below 20kHz, on pretty intense material, I can not measure any IMD splats above 14kHz when simply bandlimiting the input audio below 14kHz on the input.  This shows that the IMD control is really good.*

* This means that even without the band splitting, the IMD is very substantially (seems like completely) suppressed.   I know that it isn't really 100% suppressed, but it is created and put in a different -- less audiblle -- place.

What is a 'SPLAT'? (my nomenclature, not standardized)  It is a burst of intermodulation energy that often comes from gain control changes being mixed with th audio.   A 'SPLAT' can actually be any kind of intermodulation energy -- sometimes looking just like a cymbal crash encroaching into and beyond 20kHz frequency range.

Normally, with the fast/relatively ragged DolbyA attack/release, you'll get splats as strong as any normal audio above 20kHz -- with a slow RMS style compressor, the splats still happen -- but are of lower magnitude.

So, generally, a fast fet-style limiter will tend to produce splats more easily (unless very carefully designed) than a smooth RMS compressor...  The DolbyA technology is almost  a worst case of a fast FET-style compressor that doesn't explicitly clip the audio.  (DolbyA could be worse than it is/was, but R Dolby was a brilliant engineer/researcher, and did an excellent job with the technology that he had.)

13 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I've said more than a few times I can detect ultrasonics from a crash cymbal when I'm hitting it (bone conduction probably). But I can't detect them listening 10 feet away. But then Richard Vandersteen considers my hearing abilities "lucky." 

Deep in my past memories -- I do seem to remember that bone conduction does have wider HF bandwidth than 'hearing'.  I know nothing about the actual mechanism (one can always guess) -- but your possible implication about bone conduction did wake up that stale/old memory.  It might be proven wrong, but I'd guess that you are actually manifesting the bone conduction that the old papers spoke of (I mean decades-old papers.)

John

1 minute ago, John Dyson said:

Deep in my past memories -- I do seem to remember that bone conduction does have wider HF bandwidth than 'hearing'.  I know nothing about the actual mechanism (one can always guess) -- but your possible implication about bone conduction did wake up that stale/old memory.  It might be proven wrong, but I'd guess that you are actually manifesting the bone conduction that the old papers spoke of (I mean decades-old papers.)

John

John, I noted it with an all hands on deck situation (a dam breach) which had me welding for a couple days as well. I did not find either case a feeling I wanted to repeat. 

Speaking of memory I remember something about needing high sound pressure levels to transmit ultrasonics through the air any distance but I can't seem to remember the source.

18 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

R Dolby was a brilliant engineer/researcher, and did an excellent job with the technology that he had.

Off-topic.

I see Dolby had 2 academy awards and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. How many engineers can say that?

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

Haven't I said this under a couple of conditions? Hitting a crash cymbal and some types of welding but when can't it be perceived? In my case 10 feet away.

When dealing with a close-miked production, I wonder whether we subconsciously feel there ought to be ultrasonics if we're (audio-wise) within a foot or two of the instrument, so that our cues are messed up relative to what we'd be hearing in that situation live. Again, just complete speculation, wondering why at least a portion of the audience apparently likes spurious ultrasonics.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

17 minutes ago, Jud said:

When dealing with a close-miked production, I wonder whether we subconsciously feel there ought to be ultrasonics if we're (audio-wise) within a foot or two of the instrument, so that our cues are messed up relative to what we'd be hearing in that situation live. Again, just complete speculation, wondering why at least a portion of the audience apparently likes spurious ultrasonics.

Jud, I was going to post that some people like the distortion ultrasonics cause. The pro guys have been wondering about this for more than a decade.  I received a thread going back a long time this morning as part of a weekly update. And at t.h.e. Show we talked a bit about the artifacts created by large amounts of empty space in a 24/192 file.

5 hours ago, John Dyson said:

You are comparing Barry's (or whoever my daddy is bigger than your daddy expernt) LAB experience with real world material that is sold to consumers -- different things. 

Hi John

Barry's 24/192 material IS sold to consumers.

I think that we should agree to disagree on the merits of high res LPCM or DSD, as there are a large percentage  of members and people world wide who love those formats and prefer them over RBCD for whatever reasons, including a less abrupt roll off of frequencies above 22kHz.

It seems highly likely that we have yet to discover the definitive reasons why many people have this preference.

There is obviously some reason that they do, and in fact our member Teresa , before Alzheimers afflicted her, found something about RBCD that annoyed her, yet high res material including DSD did not.

I seriously doubt that it came down to the poor design of her source either.

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

8 hours ago, Jud said:

Hi Jud

You forgot to mention SACD along with MQA

Kind Regards

Alex

best-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

Its been apparent for some time now that you use Barry Diament as some type of shield, waving him around to protect yourself from opinions different from your own. Don’t you know anyone else?

Would you prefer that I kept bringing up Martin Colloms and the increasing number of A.S members that have already verified my main reports ?  There are now several highly respected, and high profile qualified members among them.

It's not my fault if you, and a core group of members, are unwilling to even investigate the proof that I have offered to make available on numerous occasions, as well as the material that is available in My Profile.