IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

I could discover music and performances via streaming, but only a reduced subset of what I want to try out - mostly recent items.

Instead, I use the xlnt collection of CDs at our city library, with a university library for backup (which has a very decent music school - tho not competitive with the music school/library at Indiana univ. like this place thinks they are...).

But that may not apply to others.

There is also bandcamp.

3 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I acknowledge all that and, frankly, I listen mostly to my own collection for those reasons.  I prefer hi-resolution multichannel for which there is no streaming source (yet).

That said, I can discover music and performances via streaming and then make informed purchases for my library.  Streaming is only an adjunct but an important one.

I also uses streaming to make purchasing decisions....I still buy a lot of downloads..but I use FREE streaming sources, of which there are endless choices....

33 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

If listening to streaming material is like listening to the old time radio (moderate quality, casual), then why pay for it?  I'd just listen to free stuff.  Why pay for butchered material (like MQA?)  Why pay for something that just might go away?  For casual,  I'd listen to something free.  For something that I invest ANYTHING in, I want a copy that no-one can easily take from me.

I stream everything and only purchase music if I want to hear something that is not available to stream.  If I look at just my last.fm scrobbles, the unique plays I have listened to over the last year alone greatly exceed what I would be willing to purchase over a decade to own all of this music.  I don't have magic ears, and like the evidence I see, even AAC 256 is quite good and few could distinguish this format over HiRes.  To consider lossless and HiRes streaming to be moderate quality is a bit of a reach.  Even MQA, which I am not a fan of at all, sounds identical to lossless and HiRes when the same master is actually used.  Did I miss some repeatable test showing this to be untrue?

55 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

If listening to streaming material is like listening to the old time radio (moderate quality, casual), then why pay for it?  I'd just listen to free stuff.  Why pay for butchered material (like MQA?)  Why pay for something that just might go away?  For casual,  I'd listen to something free.  For something that I invest ANYTHING in, I want a copy that no-one can easily take from me.

I take it then you do not have Cable TV, Satellite Radio, or use Amazon, Apple, Netflix, or Hulu? Or you make a recording to keep a recording of every live concert you attend?

It's basically the same thing as Netflix, one  pays a little for access to a vast library of media choices. A far more extensive library than most people could ever collect, especially if one had to buy the CD, Download, Disc, DVD, LP, Tape or whatever before one could listen to it. Like in the bad old days when FM radio was the only choice. That was a time when 30-40 albums was considered a respectable collection. Having 100-120 albums made one a outlier for sure.    ;)

On the other paw however, I do follow your philosophy enough to buy as much music as I can. Lately it has been more thrift store finds than new releases, but then, that's okay with me for now. Not all that much coming out in pop music I can fore, and classical music can only repeat the same music for so many centuries. I adore sound tracks for that reason, I think it is the place where the most classily classic music is created today. 

YMMV of course, just pointing out the logic behind a QUobuz or Apple Music subscription. 

Yours,

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

12 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

1.  Each of the writers and editors is free to express his opinions in print and I will not speak for them.  

2.  Over the years, I have disagreed with many statements made by my colleagues and, I suspect, they have returned the compliment.  

3.  I see more obsessiveness about MQA around here than at Stereophile.

1-Clearly they are free to express their own opinions, but their impressions, opinions, and observations about MQA are amazingly similar  Almost like they got Fox News style talking points.

2-No doubt.

3-No one here markets MQA and positions it as an essential feature and "technology". And no one here called it the Birth Of A New World.  So a big fail for # 3 Kal.

In no way to i expect you to have the answers or to be responsible for the absurd MQA coverage by the magazine. It

seems you have made your position about MQA clear, and it is that it serves little or no purpose.  I would expect nothing less from a scientist, and from someone who clearly understands how digital audio works. 

Unfortunately the same thing CANNOT be said about your new editor. 

Just now, Kal Rubinson said:

Not entirely.

In truth, not even mostly.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

18 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Not entirely.

But you did and continue to stand idly by while your colleagues and superior sought to potentailly compromise or even cripple an entire industry for some kinda' gain, right?

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

55 minutes ago, Allan F said:

IMO, it's ridiculous to blame Kal for the actions of others. He has already told you that he has disagreed with his colleagues on many occasions. What more do you expect him to do?

Seriously?  You cannot think of any other more reasonable options available to Kal that might have helped better minimize any potentially permanent damage to at least the high-end audio sector of the music industry?  Nor any options that could have better minimized the countless thousands or even millions of accumulative hours spent in the forums debating, dissecting, driving down rabbit holes, or otherwide spent defending the industry agaist a potential monopoly of a nonsensical inferior performing format pretending to be something it simply is not?  For  a format that may never had gotten out of the starting gate if it were not for the cows can now jump over the moon and pigs can now fly endorsements by these same superiors?  For a format that is simply impossible to come even remotely close to Kal's magazine performance claims?

All under the guise of performance levels equating to exactly what the engineers heard in the recording studio or perhaps the equivelant of "experiencing the birth of a new world" - whatever the hell that means?

Seriously.  You cannot think of any other options available to Kal?  Ok, so you're no history buff.  But do you at least know the definition of fraud?  How about complicity?

Off topic... wasn't Kal just recently promoted by this same magazine?  The same magazine some others might have fled from 4.5 years ago if not sooner had they witnessed what Kal witnessed?

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

do not have Cable TV, Satellite Radio, or use Amazon, Apple, Netflix, or Hulu streaming unless they are free.

I do use Youtube and there is  lot of interesting music on it.

A great deal of which , I am given to understand, is pirated. I might point out that makes a good case for DRM, even if it resides within MQA.  Better to pay a little and have no moral grey area.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

12 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Yes, seriously. You should find a lower soapbox. The one you are using is blinding your vision. You are holding Kal responsible for the the "evils" of MQA and its promotion by people over whom he had no control. Your suggestion of complicity on his part is, quite frankly silly, and shows a complete ignorance of the meaning of that term.

My bad.  I heard Kal was recently promoted at Stereophile and hence, still worked for them.  You know Stereophile, the "high-end" audio magazine that perhaps induced more overall harm to high-end audio over the past 20 years than any other entity, including MQA?  

If as you imply he left Stereophile, then I certainly appreciate his integrity and good for him and good for us all.  Even though there's always a price to pay, it speaks volumes of the one taking a stand for righteousness' sake, right?