IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

I think what might be nice at this point would be to use common analysis tools on the hi res and MQA versions of a track or two from the White Album and compare.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 hours ago, shtf said:

You are quite right.  In fact, sometimes it seems the more one focuses on hearing any minute differences, the less one hears any differences.  Especially when you might have easily distinguished those same differences the night before.  And of course audio memory can be so short too.

Which is why one works towards developing competency of the playback chain - then "minute differences" are completely irrelevant - changing which seat you're on while listening to a live violin player, some feet away, type of thing.

With that in hand, the non-MQA file will sound convincing - and, the MQA cooked variety will be just as convincing ... i.e., zero net gain.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

I think what might be nice at this point would be to use common analysis tools on the hi res and MQA versions of a track or two from the White Album and compare.

•  Most people use their ears, not Test Equipment to evaluate Music quality . ;)
  • There is not always a direct correlation between measurements and what human hearing prefers.
  • It would be great though if we could get a general consensus (say more than70%)  on the degradation caused by MQA with high res material, then show why with measurements.
  • Perhaps it's bloody MQA that has placed 5 unwanted full stops in my reply ? :o
  •  I can't go back and delete them either.:x

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

17 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

An amazing article for sure. I guess I was referring more to a one or two page summary, with no affiliation to any publication, that could be passed around, fact checked and verified. 

If that is ever necessary it can be easily done. But people doubted financial numbers about Meridian and MQA Ltd pulled from audited financial statements publicly available.

16 hours ago, Jud said:

Probably not a good example because the White Album MQA files posted on Tidal are not MQA Studio, just generic MQA.  Even to this listener who finds many of the MQA Studio files to have excellent SQ, the White Album files are a bit strident and wonky.  (The Qobuz White Album hi rez files sound better, and the vinyl sounds better than both.)  I guess that the White Album wasn't important enough to merit the full MQA Studio treatment (wink).

14 minutes ago, Ski Bum said:

Probably not a good example because the White Album MQA files posted on Tidal are not MQA Studio, just generic MQA.  Even to this listener who finds many of the MQA Studio files to have excellent SQ, the White Album files are a bit strident and wonky.  (The Qobuz White Album hi rez files sound better, and the vinyl sounds better than both.)  I guess that the White Album wasn't important enough to merit the full MQA Studio treatment (wink).

Maybe the people processing it messed up. Wouldn't be the first time.

10 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Hands down winner for post of the day!

You mean it was supposed to receive the white glove treatment, but instead someone put it through the hamburger batch processor in the cloud, and Lee's snazzy "machine learning" didn't yield a perfectly de-blurred sonic result with all of the ADC's flaws now fully compensated for?

Yes, and any one care to take bets whether Gilles Martin "authenticated" MQA slop processing on his 2018 mix and master? 

I would say there is an overwhelming chance he had no clue.  In his mind, the Blu-Ray audio and HD downloads both @ 24/96 are the definitive approved versions.

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

Hands down winner for post of the day!

Do I get a plaque commemorating my achievement?

I still like MQA Studio, but I'm trying to maintain a sense of humor about the whole mess.  I just wish that someone would give us access to better masterings in any digital format.

6 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

If that is ever necessary it can be easily done. But people doubted financial numbers about Meridian and MQA Ltd pulled from audited financial statements publicly available.

Is MQA under the  U.K. Corporate Governance Act of 2003? Is, and you can prove what you say, someone would one going to jail. Especially true since they operate in the U.S.

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

19 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Is MQA under the  U.K. Corporate Governance Act of 2003? Is, and you can prove what you say, someone would one going to jail. Especially true since they operate in the U.S.

-Paul 

Paul people doubted the numbers were accurate when the source was Companies House. I told them look for yourself. One of my arguments against MQA is Bob Stuart has lost too much money since 2001 to listen to.  And I have a nice spreadsheet of the operating losses.

I'm waiting patiently for 7Digitals financials to be posted. They should be a good read.