IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

10 minutes ago, Daccord said:

Maybe no apocalypse yet, but there's definitely a red Tidal. Many new releases are now MQA only. I don't use the Tidal app for playback, and my DAC doesn't do MQA, so I am looking for CD-quality only. Tidal has quickly become very frustrating due to MQA. I hope whatever MQA Ltd is paying them makes up for lost subscriptions. Unfortunately, Qobuz isn't in Canada yet.

I don’t have Tidal subscription anymore. Are you saying new releases are also not available in standard CD quality? In any case, can you give a few examples of releases  where no non MQA is available?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, mav52 said:

Ok, Paul I really don't know if you use 2L or not, but their collected artist sold on their site used to be in all formats, but now its MQA.   ITS MQA on Tidal and its MQA on this site. https://www.highresaudio.com/en/label/view/e9303123-e18a-4694-bda5-2edd10004141/2l

You can still get their artist on HDTRACKS and Native DSD but some of that music was old.  

Checking that page, I see albums available in multiple formats, one of which is MQA. What album is only available in MQA?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 minutes ago, firedog said:

I don’t have Tidal subscription anymore. Are you saying new releases are also not available in standard CD quality? In any case, can you give a few examples of releases  where no non MQA is available?

It used to be that when Tidal showed you only the MQA version of an album you search for the album by name and see both the MQA and standard versions. But the "Explore" feature is showing me a new Joshua Redman album named Come What May. No matter how I search, I can only ever find an MQA version of that. There are several others already, but Come What May is ominous enough.

26 minutes ago, Daccord said:

It used to be that when Tidal showed you only the MQA version of an album you search for the album by name and see both the MQA and standard versions. But the "Explore" feature is showing me a new Joshua Redman album named Come What May. No matter how I search, I can only ever find an MQA version of that. There are several others already, but Come What May is ominous enough.

I just checked and Roon is showing only MQA for that album - no equivalent 16/44.  I don't use the Tidal app much anymore so perhaps I am missing it, but I don't see a way to search within it for 16/44 only.  If you adjust your streaming options to "HIFI", it plays this album but I don't know if it is a real 16/44 version or downsampled MQA.

In the past year I have found a handful of albums in Tidal without an 16/44 version...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

50 minutes ago, Daccord said:

Maybe no apocalypse yet, but there's definitely a red Tidal. Many new releases are now MQA only. I don't use the Tidal app for playback, and my DAC doesn't do MQA, so I am looking for CD-quality only. Tidal has quickly become very frustrating due to MQA. I hope whatever MQA Ltd is paying them makes up for lost subscriptions. Unfortunately, Qobuz isn't in Canada yet.

I did find that "Polarity" (a recent 2L release) is available on Qobuz only in MQA.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Checking that page, I see albums available in multiple formats, one of which is MQA. What album is only available in MQA?

Should have noted Tidal and 2L only.   Kal already mentioned it.

The Truth Is Out There

2 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

When @Firedog asked for some examples of the “many new releases” the response was exactly one.

In any event,

https://www.hdtracks.com/still-dreaming-feat-ron-miles-scott-colley-brian-blade?___store=default&nosto=nosto-page-search1

If you don't believe me, or if you think there is exactly one MQA-only album on Tidal, sign up for a trial account and check it out yourself.

I don't understand what you intended with the link unless you meant it as some kind of insult.

3 hours ago, Daccord said:

If you don't believe me, or if you think there is exactly one MQA-only album on Tidal, sign up for a trial account and check it out yourself.

I don't understand what you intended with the link unless you meant it as some kind of insult.

I have a Tidal account which I access through Roon. My point was that even if you found 10 MQA only albums on Tidal, that isn’t exactly “many new releases” out of the millions of albums on their service.

I’m not sure how providing you with a link to the hi-Rez/non-MQA version of the album you were concerned about could be viewed as an insult but apparently you managed to do so. 

5 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

I’m not sure how providing you with a link to the hi-Rez/non-MQA version of the album you were concerned about could be viewed as an insult but apparently you managed to do so. 

Please forgive my confusion. This is the album I mentioned:

image.png.414888fe7bc820a2458f115859a39c66.png

This is the album you linked:

image.png.db4d7f9f6a31aa14cd01f29e100d8fdd.png

54 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

I have a Tidal account which I access through Roon. My point was that even if you found 10 MQA only albums on Tidal, that isn’t exactly “many new releases” out of the millions of albums on their service.

No, it's becoming  more common.  "Millions" of unmolested catalog does not affect the current trend.  Just found another one, "Buble (original soundtrack)."  I found another one last night while browsing but I have already forgotten its name as I was not interested in the artist.  So that's two in a day, just from about  an hour's effort of casual browsing.  This easy "here's another one, and another one" has been my experience for the last 6 weeks or so... 

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

26 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

This thread enforces my decision to stay away from streaming...

20 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing -- your position on streaming is the same as mine.

Why?  Just ignore the MQA stuff.  There is little of it, still, on Qobuz and there's lots of great music in lossless formats.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

8 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Why?  Just ignore the MQA stuff.  There is little of it, still, on Qobuz and there's lots of great music in lossless formats.

I isn't just MQA -- it is also the transient nature -- the lack of posession.  Probably a generational culture difference.  Too much control, alteration and dependency for my own emotional comfort.   (As my grandma used to say -- a little off color -- 'whatever blows your skirt up' :-)).

3 hours ago, Daccord said:

Please forgive my confusion. This is the album I mentioned:

image.png.414888fe7bc820a2458f115859a39c66.png

This is the album you linked:

image.png.db4d7f9f6a31aa14cd01f29e100d8fdd.png

My apologies, I apparently copied the link next to the album you were talking about. Because of the somewhat ephemeral nature of music on Tidal (and perhaps Tidal itself) I tend to buy music I’m interested in listening to long term. It’s been my general expierencec that if something is available as MQA it’s also available as standard hiRez. Sorry about causing the confusion over the link, I’ll try again and hope this is the right one. 

https://www.hdtracks.com/come-what-may-770322?___store=default&nosto=nosto-page-search1

2 hours ago, John Dyson said:

I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing -- your position on streaming is the same as mine.

John

Unless you are always "on" - that is, always engaged in critical listening, then streaming has it's place. Critical listening is work, even if it is work one loves, it is still work. Casual listening on the other hand, is all about enjoyment. 

Streaming is for casual listening. Trying out stuff you want listen to, but don't know if you want to buy. After you listen to it, you may decide to buy it, or you decide not to buy it. You can even choose to just listen to it again. The choice is yours. And stuff that makes you run away with your ears starting to bleed?  That you know to stay away from pretty quickly, and at minimal cost.  

Building a system that sounds good when streaming is then, and important consideration. Even better, have a couple systems around, one just for casual listening from streaming sources, and the other for serious listening or for critical listening. 

If you look at things along these lines, MQA doesn't make a rat's ass of difference in the overall scheme of things. On the other hand, if your primary source of music is streaming, well then.. maybe that changes things up a bit. But it isn't like MQA is going to creep Into my existing digital or physical library. 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

On 4/3/2019 at 2:31 PM, Ralf11 said:

Your risk assessment is mere speculation.

A proper risk assessment has parameters of validity added, either by calculation or by expert judgement. 

Uh no. It is personal, but it is based upon decades of experience.  You disagreeing has zero effect on its probability. 

The risk assessment of everything being in MQA *and* MQA being used as a DRM control both is rubbish though.

MQA may, probably will, make an impact. In fact, it already has. How great an impact will depend upon a lot of other things than just wishful thinking though. Many of which have been pointed out time and time again, and are joyfully ignored by the folks having too much fun spreading FUD. None of whose judgements are either professional or expert, or even calculated. 

That is separate from the facts that were uncovered and presented, which, by the way, have a depressing effect on the spread of MQA. 

My risk assessment does have a depressing effect on the gleeful spread of FUD around here though. 

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

That said, I can discover music and performances via streaming and then make informed purchases for my library.  Streaming is only an adjunct but an important one

This is why I utilize streaming.  If I like it, I buy it.

The Truth Is Out There