IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

35 minutes ago, crenca said:

Excellent.  I did not think to compare the Qobuz hi res to the MQA.  Interesting you could tell the differing masterings so easily, and through speakers.  I was using HP's so the differing mastering came through load in clear - it is immediately obvious.

So here we have an example of a brand new album that is using differing mastering for the 16/44 and the MQA/Hi Res.  Must be what the artist intended... 😋

Ok, just compared the MQA (unencoded - so sent natively to my "legacy" DAC 😋) to the real Hi Res on Tidal.  These two are the same mastering, which is obviously different from the 16/44.

I did not take much time/effort to try to discern a SQ difference between the MQA and Hi Res, but they are very close which confirms what we know:  as a SuperMP3, MQA is pretty good.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

8 minutes ago, shtf said:

And here I thought mine was the only valid critisim back in late 2014 / early 2015 when I called MQA a fraud then in several forums and to this day I've yet to see a little green light emitting to know I'm authenticating (I've yet to listen to a single MQA recording).  :)

Sorry to break the news to you but this thread doesn't exist because of you as you (all of us) are but the effect and the cause is fraud and MQA, as the thread title clearly indicates.  MQA fraud is why this and other threads exists.  Fraud perpetrated by charlatans.  Well, that and because of the cowardly or compromised many who remained silent. 

Actually the green light says something different  according to Bob.  

1 hour ago, manisandher said:

So you identified decoded-MQA vs. hires correctly 5/9 times, right?

Mani.

I would say that any results with regards to differences between the HiRes Qobuz or decoded MQA were inconclusive to my ears from the testing I performed.   I wasn't necessarily testing for a difference with those 2 files, as they sounded similar to me.  Now, whatever Tidal is using for their lossless 16/44.1 version was much easier to identify when compared to either MQA or Qobuz HiRes.  I'm confident that I could identify a difference between the Tidal 16/4.1 and the Qobus 24/96 HiRes or the MQA file decoded to 24/96 by Roon.

In summary, to me, MQA decoded by Roon to 24/96 and Qobuz 24/96 sounded very similar.  It seemed like the same mastering.  The Tidal 16/44.1 was noticeably different to either. 

I know that there is a delay for Roon to have new music available.  I'd be very curious to see if Qobuz offers a 16/44.1 version so I could test that one as well.  Maybe it will be available in the next day or two.

1 hour ago, crenca said:

Ok, just compared the MQA (unencoded - so sent natively to my "legacy" DAC 😋) to the real Hi Res on Tidal.  These two are the same mastering, which is obviously different from the 16/44.

I did not take much time/effort to try to discern a SQ difference between the MQA and Hi Res, but they are very close which confirms what we know:  as a SuperMP3, MQA is pretty good.

It seems we both came to similar conclusions.  MQA sounds similarly unencoded or encoded with software to the first unfold.  For this particular music, MQA sounds very close, if not identical, to the Qobuz HiRes version.  Tidal offers a lossless 16/44.1 version of the same music, and this seems different.

What we are not sure of is whether the HiRes/MQA sounds different because of the format or if something else is responsible for this audible difference.  I've never heard any difference between HiRes and Red Book with any music, so I think this is something intentional and not merely the same music converted to a lower bit depth and sample rate.

54 minutes ago, Archimago said:

I see this announcement for AXPONA on TAS:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mqa-champions-master-quality-sound-at-axpona-2019/

Looks like primarily the Mike Jbara Show... 

Why doesn't Bob Stuart show up anymore?

The thing to notice is that TAS/Stereophile are "championing" MQA - they mention it any chance they get.  This is the gift that keeps on giving, because as we all know Stereophile, TAS and their writers are not getting $compensated$ by MQA to do this championing.  How do we know this?  They have told us 😉

52 minutes ago, crenca said:

The thing to notice is that TAS/Stereophile are "championing" MQA - they mention it any chance they get.  This is the gift that keeps on giving, because as we all know Stereophile, TAS and their writers are not getting $compensated$ by MQA to do this championing.  How do we know this?  They have told us 😉

And you believe otherwise (as you have stated so many times in so many ways)

"crenca" means belief, doesn't it? Same Latin root that gives us the word credo?

To what extent do these expressions of belief ride on the coattails of the hard objective work done by others?

3 hours ago, Archimago said:

I see this announcement for AXPONA on TAS:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mqa-champions-master-quality-sound-at-axpona-2019/

Looks like primarily the Mike Jbara Show... 

Why doesn't Bob Stuart show up anymore?

I think it is pretty clear why Stuart won't attend. When MQA blows up and the shit flies far and wide, he can pretend to be immaculate and carry on unsullied. I think that is also the reason MQA was ultimately spun off from Meridian. I bet once MQA dies they will try to pump life back into Meridian as an upscale "respectable" brand that London Hedge Fund managers would want in their flats. 

46 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Perhaps I missed it... Please do tell (if you can).

I was standing with the label guys and MQA Ltd representatives just before Bob's presentation at the the Los Angles Audio Show in 2017. The MQA people said that Bob would give technical presentations from now on. He wasn't effective with other audiences.  This presentation ended with Bob Stuart and Robert Harley called liars. 

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

maybe they will intro "MQA 5G"

Given that the marketing message for 5G is that it has bandwidth to spare, it will make the bandwidth saving of MQA even less relevant.

(If one were to go through this thread and change all references to MQA to 5G, the thread title and contents would be perfectly at home in a telecommunications forum.)

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

6 hours ago, Archimago said:

In any event, will be interesting to see if Jbara and team bring with them any new graphs, charts, or if it's all "just so" feel-good stories of the "pioneering revolutionary studio authenticated deblurred perceptually lossless sound" packaged in a box typically with a beautifully reassuring "blue light" :-).

I'm sure they will bring the same stuff we have all seen before-stuff that "proves" all sorts of irrelevant things. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

10 hours ago, Archimago said:

In any event, will be interesting to see if Jbara and team bring with them any new graphs, charts, or if it's all "just so" feel-good stories of the "pioneering revolutionary studio authenticated deblurred perceptually lossless sound" packaged in a box typically with a beautifully reassuring "blue light" :-).

I think you nailed it.  What else can they do?  When you don't have the substance, all you have is a sells narrative.

5 hours ago, firedog said:

I'm sure they will bring the same stuff we have all seen before-stuff that "proves" all sorts of irrelevant things. 

Don't worry the smoke and mirror show will be performed to only support MQA and no doubt bash the truth which has been shown here many, many times.

The Truth Is Out There