IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

8 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

I wrote earlier this year: "as long as audiophiles can download or stream original, non-MQA, hi-rez PCM files, why should MQA be an issue? However, what if they no longer have such access to the originals, but only to their MQA versions? . . . Regardless of MQA's technical elegance and promised increase in sound quality, the removal of consumer choice in recorded music is indeed a relevant issue."

See https://www.stereophile.com/content/more-mqa

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Progress.

• 2 weeks later...

The charlatan Alan Taffel states the following in his Golden Shower Award for dCS-

:

"dCS Rossini DAC/Player with Roon and MQA

When originally introduced in 2015, the Rossini was an immediate hit. Though far from cheap, it nailed features and sound for the money. When you listen to the Rossini, all you hear is beautifully fleshed-out music. The player even manages to elicit from CDs much of what usually distinguishes SACDs. As for value, the Rossini easily vanquishes its little brother, the Debussy, and comes close to the performance of dCS’ Vivaldi flagship.

The Rossini’s sound and value make for a compelling story; but even more striking is the Rossini’s ability to morph as time and new technology demand. With a simple downloaded update, it instantly incorporates two of the most important recent developments in digital audio: MQA and Roon. Between them, they catapult this unit into a new class of sonics and operability.

The Rossini started life as a truly exceptional component. Now, it is even more so."

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2018-golden-ear-awards-alan-taffel/

Yes, MQA is one of the most IMPORTANT RECENT DEVELOPMENTS in digital audio..right up there with Roon...

16 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

New "MQA Partners" announced..and new companies added to my Do Not Buy List:

DALI

A&K

Krell

EMM Labs

Audiolab

Hi,

OK - if MQA claims are false - such as reversal of dispersion, and other technical firsts, why has no one approached the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) to present prove of the MQA false claims ?

If MQA is a false system, then evidence presented to the ASA will initiate an investigation.

Why has no one challenged the AES presenting evidence that MQA claims are false, such they remove the paper from their archives ?

Regards,

Shadders.

2 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

OK - if MQA claims are false - such as reversal of dispersion, and other technical firsts, why has no one approached the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) to present prove of the MQA false claims ?

If MQA is a false system, then evidence presented to the ASA will initiate an investigation.

Why has no one challenged the AES presenting evidence that MQA claims are false, such they remove the paper from their archives ?

Regards,

Shadders.

On the list of false claims..how high do you think MQA is as a priority?? As despicable as is MQA is..no one's safety is at risk.

4 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

On the list of false claims..how high do you think MQA is as a priority?? As despicable as is MQA is..no one's safety is at risk.

Hi,

The ASA has taken hifi sellers to task and their claims have been retracted. ASA is about advertising, not safety.

The AES is not a professional body if it allows false claims to be presented, and unchallenged. Such claims would never be unscrutinised by the IEEE or IET, and MQA would certainly receive severe criticism on a technical basis.

Again, i cannot see why the professional community has not exposed MQA for what it is.

Regards,

Shadders,

3 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

The ASA has taken hifi sellers to task and their claims have been retracted. ASA is about advertising, not safety.

The AES is not a professional body if it allows false claims to be presented, and unchallenged. Such claims would never be unscrutinised by the IEEE or IET, and MQA would certainly receive severe criticism on a technical basis.

Again, i cannot see why the professional community has not exposed MQA for what it is.

Regards,

Shadders,

..because they really don't care...

1 hour ago, Shadorne said:

I was seriously looking at one of these manufacturers listed above. Contemplating a very large expenditure and having already ruled out DCS for their MQA support. Not anymore. I have dropped my interest entirely. It is impossible to have respect for any “audiophile” manufacturer that deliberately adds technology that is detrimental to sound quality - materially and audibly  decreasing fidelity. Either they are totally incompetent or they are dominated by marketing (looking for any excuse to boost sales of newer products no matter how dubious) rather than serious quality engineering. Both are unacceptable faults to someone looking for high fidelity in audio reproduction.

I think I will take a look at Chord. The Hugo M-Scaler looks crazy overkill for just a brick wall imaging filter but I can’t find fault with the engineering logic. Only their claims seem too exaggerated. Hard to justify why that level of precision is necessary - 1 Million tap filter - obviously the manufacturer claims it is -  is there a good critical thinking thread here about Hugo M-Scaler? I wonder what latency it introduces. Anyone try it with Roon? And why wouldn’t HQ Player or other computer based filtering be a simpler more flexible solution? Obviously I have questions that are off topic here. So please direct me to the right place.

Needless to day, I agree with your stance 1000%.

Companies who embraced MQA need to be punished..by consumers voting with their dollars..it is a real power we have.

The Chord DACs indeed sound really good. Their prices raise eyebrows, but sonically they are beyond reproach..and yes their technical claims are overkill.

5 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

I was perusing a thread on MQA at WBF, and someone quoted JA:

"My analyses comparing the spectrum of the original WAV file with that of the decoded MQA version did indeed prove that MQA's "music origami" worked, the spectra of the original WAV file and the decoded MQA version overlaying one another exactly up to the 44.1kHz Nyquist frequency of the original recording."
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-mqa#5hxkIqAyG5X5BgVH.99

In the article, JA goes into a bit more regarding the "origami," and concludes:

"Case proved for the music origami aspect of MQA, I feel. However, the only way of testing the second claim—of MQA's correction of time-domain errors—is through listening."

Here is my question:  If the spectra of the original WAV file overlay exactly with the decoded MQA version up to the 44.1kHz Nyquist frequency of the original recording, then how is it possible for there to be any correction of time-domain errors?  If the overlays are exact, then if there were time-domain errors in the original, wouldn't they have to be present in the decoded MQA version as well?  Use of the word exactly doesn't leave any wiggle room.  How would a listening test show time-domain errors when his spectral analyses showed an exact overlay up to 44.1kHz.  And another question:  How can he posit that the only way of testing MQA'a claim of correction of time-domain errors is through listening?  His "I feel" was a qualifier for his statement about proving the case for the music "origami."

Anywho.  This has probably been discussed already, but I don't recall coming across these points before.

Archie and Paul Miller proved there is aliasing and artifacts. Poor JA simply did not have the chops to do proper measurements and he was shown up. Not much more to say about it.

The only other explanation is that he had no intention of doing proper measurements in order to show MQA as a viable technology.

A truly humiliating episode in Stereophile's history.