IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

On 8/8/2023 at 10:24 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Pretty soon MQA will be vaporware. 

From your lips to Gods ear.

Very slowly but surely, some common sense is returning to high end audio.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information? "Peter Aczel"

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

13 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information? "Peter Aczel"

The gullibility is a consequence of not wanting to understand or accept the "reliable sources of scientific information."  It is a choice.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Even as of a few days ago, the shamless Stereohile editors post this "review":

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ifi-audio-neo-stream-streaming-da-processor

This piece of rubbish writing stood out:

"I think I am developing a sweet tooth. Something just felt "right," to pick one simplistic word, about the sonic product MQA achieves. Played back via Tidal Connect, the sound on Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster (24/96 MQA, Verve/Tidal) was startlingly fine."

46 minutes ago, garrardguy60 said:

Is it a always a case of consciously not wanting to understand, or is it an inability to understand?

Consider this question by looking at an example from the sell side of MQA; namely, the staffers and contributors to the pub for which you write.

I am not going to engage in this discussion.  My comment was intended to be more general than MQA as, to be sure, was Aczel's intention.  

I was really objecting to using the term, "gullibility" as being too simplistic a diagnosis.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

11 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I was really objecting to using the term, "gullibility" as being too simplistic a diagnosis.

Sometimes treating issues as more complex than they really are is not the proper approach either.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

I am not a psychiatrist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so here goes. The MQA and the audio press issue is a complicated one. Some may generally prefer the sound. That is OK. Some fell prey to the sales job of Mr. Stuart or the audio show demos where they were first told what they would hear and as most folks do, thought they heard it. Some of those folks will realize they were duped, others will not admit for varied reasons, such as embarrassment. Some for financial reasons. Others will hold on due to their feelings that they know more than the masses. Those folks will never admit they are wrong because their self worth is tied up into their belief structure. By all accounts, MQA is an abject failure, but those true believers will go down with the ship At least the rest of us have options for listening not tied to MQA. For that we should be happy.

Sir, a beautifully crafted analysis. I agree.

But then we still need to ask the question. WHY were this relatively small group of reviewers the virtually the only ones that time after time, were enamored with the sound of MQA, when it  is clearly, very clearly, a distorted version of the master file. The fact that a fool like Fremer was able to get away with saying "IF digital sounded THIS good 30 years ago, I would be all in"...not, to mention the countless absurd observations by others

There comes a point where subjectiveness reaches its end. One can claim they "like" the tasted of grilled cardboard better than fillet mignon, but since the vast majority of sane people don't, it does not make some outlier more valid, just ridiculous, actually.