IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

I have heard Peter McGrath do two presentations over the years pre Covid hawking Wilson speakers. One at Overture in Delaware the other at HiFi House in Philly. Both very very unimpressive. First he talked way more than he played music. Second, both times the presentations were way too loud and I mean loud, and too bright. I can imagine the MQA ones being similar.

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

I have heard Peter McGrath do two presentations over the years pre Covid hawking Wilson speakers. One at Overture in Delaware the other at HiFi House in Philly. Both very very unimpressive. First he talked way more than he played music. Second, both times the presentations were way too loud and I mean loud, and too bright. I can imagine the MQA ones being similar.

nothing wrong per se with talking during a presentation… depending on the presentation purpose.

Last week I attended a presentation by a very famous speaker designer, who talked a lot about speaker design with quite minimal musical interruption. It was ideal and I’m glad he talked else we wouldn’t have learnt anything about his lessons of speaker design…..

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

1 hour ago, krass said:

nothing wrong per se with talking during a presentation… depending on the presentation purpose.

Last week I attended a presentation by a very famous speaker designer, who talked a lot about speaker design with quite minimal musical interruption. It was ideal and I’m glad he talked else we wouldn’t have learnt anything about his lessons of speaker design…..

I have heard the late Dave Wilson describe his philosophy. It was a very organic description, and very humble description I might add, and I at least started understanding. When a company brought the original WAMM's to AXPONA, that really helped me to understand even more.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Creditors owed nearly £24.6 million (largely Muse a subsidiary/holding company of Reinet).

The administrators indicate some ongoing interest expressed by 2 private individual/investor groups, 3 corporate entities, and 2 venture capital firms. Previous discussions with 2 other private individual/investor groups, 2 other corporate entities, and 1 additional venture capital firm now considered "inactive".

Also some small mention of the possibility of an MBO, but no formal offers from Stuart/Jbara as yet.

I wonder what Reinet is willing to take on that £24.6 million they are owed.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Interesting mention on the company timeline about MQA audio being released on Amazon Music (2017), then Qobuz, and Deezer (both (2021). I'm guessing that's another shred of truth taken to the extreme of misinformation in true MQA fashion, likely just alluding to various record labels force feeding, surreptitiously slipping by, or plain making a mistake in supplying  MQA to those services. Deezer did sign an early agreement with MQA but were then said to have quietly walked away from any formal implementation.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Over the years, the company has received more than $35 million in cash. Still the book value has already dropped to $2.4 million. One would think that the intellectual property would be the largest asset, but for whatever reason it is only valued at most at $204,000 (Intangible Fixed Assets). See Appendix E, page 40.

You might think the intellectual property has already been transferred to others, or everyone agrees that it is worthless anyway.

2 hours ago, Gustave said:

Over the years, the company has received more than $35 million in cash. Still the book value has already dropped to $2.4 million. One would think that the intellectual property would be the largest asset, but for whatever reason it is only valued at most at $204,000 (Intangible Fixed Assets). See Appendix E, page 40.

You might think the intellectual property has already been transferred to others, or everyone agrees that it is worthless anyway.

IP is only valuable if it benefits a process or if it blocks another patent. This one really has no benefit.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

28 minutes ago, Currawong said:

Just started reading the filing and my first question is: What is the litigation mentioned involving Blue Spike over patent infringement mentioned on page 9 (page 3 of the main document)?

Not sure if they are some sort of patent troll or not, but Blue Spike brought suit against both Warner and Universal over their use of the MQA encoder.

If I read the MQA filing right, they are not (yet) being sued directly but had indemnified both Warner and Universal previously.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2022/09/09/warner-music-group-universal-music-blue-spike-patent-suits/

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, Fokus said:

A patent troll?  In Texas???

Noooo.

How about by way of Ireland, Florida, and Bermuda?

Lastly, in terms of the background details associated with both cases, the legal text indicates that Blue Spike International operates out of Dublin, Ireland, and “was recently acquired by Blue Spike Inc., a Florida corporation.” Wistaria, for its part, “is a Bermuda corporation with a place of business” in Hamilton.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

If you read the link, Blue Spike seems to be suing about the DRM built into MQA. They say they have a patent on DRM and the plaintifs are violating that patent by using MQA. That makes sense, the end of the production train makes the cash here and that is who they are going after.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590