IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

18 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

But I'm as skeptical of those who are certain that MQA degrades Redbook sound

Miska and mansr have provided good technical information that I would say bolsters the idea that MQA doesn't *improve* sound, and lets through ultrasonic distortion that might conceivably result in some degradation.  I believe @mansr at least may have said the differences between MQA and non-MQA might not be audible, but he can speak for himself.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

41 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

Isn't it conceivable that the guy just likes the way MQA sounds?

I guess so, but isn't it also conceivable that he has repeatedly demonstrated that he is nothing more than a shill? We've seen no evidence to the contrary.

Crenca, I sense hates the magazines on general principles—

Perhaps, but what about me then? I've subscribed to TAS and Stereophile magazines for decades now. I live in NY, but I buy the U.K. pubs on the news stand at $11 a pop... HiFi+, HiFi Choice, HiFi World, HiFi News & Record Report. I'm not a hater of the magazines, though I have seen the content quality diminish greatly over the years.

some agitprop blog.

I'm pretty sure we have no idea which blog you are even referring to based on that characterization. Doesn't begin to ring a bell.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 minute ago, Jud said:

Miska and mansr have provided good technical information that I would say bolsters the idea that MQA doesn't *improve* sound, and lets through ultrasonic distortion that might conceivably result in some degradation.  I believe @mansr at least may have said the differences between MQA and non-MQA might not be audible, but he can speak for himself.

The compression part of MQA is probably not audible in most cases. Where people hear a difference it is more likely due to whatever secret processing MQA does before the compression stage.

25 minutes ago, crenca said:

For example, it is true that Stereophile, TAS, and most of the rest of the "audiophile press" plug MQA "at every turn" and have done so for at least 3 years now - your spin is just that, spin.

TRUE ✔️

37 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

you'd think Stereophile and TAS are plugging MQA at every turn, when it actually comes up only episodically.

FALSE

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

Where people hear a difference it is more likely due to whatever secret processing MQA does before the compression stage.

For me this is an important point to remember.  I *have* heard MQA sound better, but it was with masters that were obviously different (for example, instruments in different locations).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

56 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

Don't call me a shill and I won't push the button

Remember what your 'leading elected official' said about his button?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Are you aware of 2L's claims about only distributing MQA content to these services?

Just found out about it here within the past day or so. I haven't listened to any 2L material as yet via primephonic.

I  finished writing an article about primephonic a couple of weeks ago. I interviewed the CEO, Thomas Stephens, and my impression was that primephonic had no idea which files  were 24-bit and which were Redbook (they aren't identified one way or the other)—much less which have been MQA'd.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

I *have* heard MQA sound better, but it was with masters that were obviously different (for example, instruments in different locations).

In my three 'MQA vs HiRez: an apples-to-apples comparison' threads, the MQA and hirez were from the same master in each case. In each of the three comparisons, there were people who preferred the sound of MQA over hirez, without knowing which was which beforehand. Some were shocked that they'd chosen the MQA over the hirez, having read (here and elsewhere) that it's lossy and therefore must sound audibly inferior to the hirez.

FWIW, I've pretty much given up on MQA. I actually tend to prefer the sound of redbook vs. the equivalent MQA on Tidal. And I lost interest in pursuing hirez a long time ago - redbook done well sounds more than fine to me.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

33 minutes ago, firedog said:

3. JVS recently wrote a column saying Qobuz streaming was inferior to Tidal MQA streaming b/c MQA streaming gave us streaming of DXD resolution, as opposed to Qobuz, which maxes out at a "mere" 24/192. Several posters commented pointing out to him that by definition, the actual resolution of MQA files maxes out at about 17/96, and that all that extremely high "resolution" is just upsampling performed as part of the "unfolding" and conversion to analog.

Is not this claim also dubious? The 24-96khz data is "unfolded" from a compression scheme, no?  So MQA is really uncompressed only to 24, lossy from 24-96, and unsampled from there. 

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

47 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

Just found out about it here within the past day or so. I haven't listened to any 2L material as yet via primephonic.

I  finished writing an article about primephonic a couple of weeks ago. I interviewed the CEO, Thomas Stephens, and my impression was that primephonic had no idea which files  were 24-bit and which were Redbook (they aren't identified one way or the other)—much less which have been MQA'd.

Very interesting ARQuint.  Now, you were interviewing the CEO who in all likelihood does not really understand what bit level or sampling rate means.  Behind the scenes he has (hopefully) a CTO and staff that does know the difference, how to verify what they actually are streaming, etc.

Here is some text from their homepage:

"Lossless 24bit FLAC streaming" (if you sign up for "Platinum")

and

"Our audio player streams music at the highest quality possible. If an album is available in 24-bit, that’s what you get. If your connection ever drops or slows down, we dynamically adapt the audio to make sure the music never stops..."

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

I see we’ve reached Godwin’s Law territory (or close enough).

How about "are commissars effective in the age of the internet"...that will get you back to the point of the post 😉

32 minutes ago, crenca said:

How about "are commissars effective in the age of the internet"...that will get you back to the point of the post 😉

commissar: 

• an official of the Communist Party, especially in the former Soviet Union or present-day China, responsible for political education and organization.
  • a head of a government department in the former Soviet Union before 1946.a strict or prescriptive figure of authority"   
  • a strict or prescriptive figure of authority

Nope.  

56 minutes ago, crenca said:

Very interesting ARQuint.  Now, you were interviewing the CEO who in all likelihood does not really understand what bit level or sampling rate means.  Behind the scenes he has (hopefully) a CTO and staff that does know the difference, how to verify what they actually are streaming, etc.

and

"Our audio player streams music at the highest quality possible. If an album is available in 24-bit, that’s what you get. If your connection ever drops or slows down, we dynamically adapt the audio to make sure the music never stops..."

I believe they use the same OraStream technology as the Neil Young Archives.

1 hour ago, crenca said:

and

I examined some of the 24/96 streams from primephonic and they appeared to be normal 16/44 files, even though primephonic asserted that these were 24/96 recordings. I found primephonic's web player to be buggy and only a limited classical catalog. Qobuz is definitely a higher value service.

1 hour ago, crenca said:

Is not this claim also dubious? The 24-96khz data is "unfolded" from a compression scheme, no?  So MQA is really uncompressed only to 24, lossy from 24-96, and unsampled from there. 

Yes It’s lossy and just upsampled above 96k, that was part of the point. It also isn’t actually 24 bit. It’s a max of about 17.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)