IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

3 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

He did, and the answer is what you'd expect:

Compared against my custom server, the Zenith SE has a touch better dynamics (although you really have to listen carefully to know one is slightly better than the other) although my server is better in every other respect.  The problem with my custom server is that it requires 5 PSU rails (1 for the mobo, sCLK-EX, tX-USBexp, tX-USBhubIN, SSD) and to devote this many PSU rails to it is a challenge.

So yeah - get yourself 5+ rails of SR-7 goodness, and you can have a custom server that surpasses the Zenith SE. 

2 hours ago, BigGuy said:

I subscribe to this threadand yet have not gotten any notifications since I last posted on 04/28 tho' the posters here continue to be quite prolific!

Anyone else with this issue?

Hi BigGuy,

no i do not have that problem.

Sometimes you get a reaction sometimes you do not. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

At least you know now the notification machine works x-D

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

On 29/04/2018 at 9:59 PM, seeteeyou said:

This one from Corning should be somewhat flaky since it might not even last that long

https://www.corning.com/optical-cables-by-corning/worldwide/en/products/usb-optical-cables.html

I've been using this Corning for 3years now : very good.

The only point is that you need to cut the power from the computer & power it with better PS ; I use a power bank, even better SQ than using a modded LPS (and far cheaper, so why bother...).

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

1 hour ago, tgb said:

I've been using this Corning for 3years now : very good.

The only point is that you need to cut the power from the computer & power it with better PS ; I use a power bank, even better SQ than using a modded LPS (and far cheaper, so why bother...).

Thanks a lot and it's good to know that maybe some batches might be better than the others, though it's still hard to tell why there were so many horror stories reported by other owners before

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/22816-corning-optical-usb-cable-experiences/

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/24759-how-i-resurrected-a-corning-usb-cable/

For $109 maybe it's worth the gamble?

https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Cables-Corning-Cable-Meter/dp/B00JOJRF6K

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1057862-REG/optical_cables_by_corning_aoc_acs2cva010m20_type_a_plug_to.html

Some PCI Express cards have connector(s) for external power so that could be the way to go for USB 3.0 cards.

BTW, there's something similar from Monoprice for $98.99 and it's backward compatible with USB 2.0 by default

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16377

s84Bb6q.jpg 3qz8FXF.jpg

To complete my previous post : 

to cut the 5V from the computer & power externaly the Corning with the power bank I use this adapter to  :

https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/adaptateurs-divers/cable-adaptateur-usbb-pour-alimentation-externe-usba-p-8389.html

Audiophonics sells this adapter too : https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/adaptateurs-divers/cable-adaptateur-usb-b-pour-alimentation-jack-55-21mm-femelle-p-8332.html

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

Oh well, Corning seemed to be no good for galvanic isolation

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/22816-corning-optical-usb-cable-experiences/?page=10&tab=comments#comment-416520

On 4/28/2015 at 2:55 PM, JohnSwenson said:

I received a corning cable today. I have not had time to try it out, but I did do some continuity checks:

the shield and pin 4 (USB GND) are connected at both ends AND between ends. There is a low resistance path between the GND pins on both ends, thus this cable is NOT galvanicaly isolated. The resistance is 3 ohms, much higher than most cables, but not "isolated" by any means.

This is what I expected given the copper wires inside designed to power the device end.

Tomorrow I'll hook it up try some listening with it.

John S.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/22816-corning-optical-usb-cable-experiences/?page=10&tab=comments#comment-416676

On 4/29/2015 at 4:02 AM, JohnSwenson said:

This morning I checked some "normal" USB cables I had and they all wound up with around 0.3 ohm for the GND (pin 4) connection. So the corning has about 10 times the ground resistance of normal copper cables.

The 3 ohm of the corning is higher but by no means can be called galvanically isolated, that would take at least a mega ohm. The 10 times higher resistance CAN have an affect on ground loops in some circumstances, and not in others. For example if there is another ground path in parallel to the USB cable that is around 0.5 ohms, the ground current will be shared between them. Replacing the USB cable with the corning will cause most of the ground current to go through the other path, significantly decreasing ground current through the DAC. But lets say the ground source impedance is 75 ohms and the USB cable is the only path for a particular loop segment, the change from 0.3 to 3 will make almost no difference.

My personal take is that most of the sound improvement of the corning is that it is generating a new USB signal right at the DAC, sort of like what the regen is doing, but not as good.

Technical stuff below:

As an interesting tidbit, the corning cable cannot be sending straight USB over the optical path. USB is a differential bidirectional bus (the same physical wires are used to send data in both directions). The corning contains two fibers, one for data going in one direction and the other for data in the opposite direction. Thus it has two unidirectional single ended connections. In USB there are some conditions where the two wires are not differential (both hi or both low), this cannot be directly represented on one single ended connection. There are two ways to deal with this: use a different protocol that can handle these extra states, or add one or more states to the analog signaling, for example instead of just having the light on or off add an additional part way on state or two to represent the non differential states.

My guess is that corning did the different protocol approach, which also has the big advantage that they might be able to get around the delay issues by putting their own protocol in place between the endpoints.

I'll try and get some listening in tonight.

John S.

On 29/04/2018 at 4:55 PM, seeteeyou said:

That wasn't even end of the story, here's yet another example with PS Audio DirectStream fed by the Toslink output of this $50 USB DDC

On 29/04/2018 at 8:08 PM, seeteeyou said:

In other words, nobody even got halfway serious about optimizing those sources in the first place but the results for those jitter-agnostic DACs from Chord / PS Audio should already speak for themselves. That $50 USB DDC turned out to have DIL14 clock sockets, we could take advantage of some clocks with fantabulous phase noise (such as Pulsar Clock) without much degradation when both clocks could sit right on top on the clock sockets

http://www.pulsarclock.com/ENHome.html

I tried my MacBook Pro > optical > PS Audio Junior DAC last night and it sounded excellent, but then all the inputs to Junior DAC sound superb. I also tried the Optical input via a cheap DDC and it also sounded very good. Last time I used my Laptop as a source was a long time ago, but that was with USB, I can still feel the bleeding ears effect!

I never thought to use the Optical input for serious listening and from a laptop for that matter. The common understanding 5 years or so ago was that Optical was inherently jitter prone. However this conversation on HeadFi does raise some puzzling and interesting questions.

I am in the meantime working on a project to get the best streaming I2S source using Ian Canadas boards. I2S to my ears is the best input on the PS Junior DAC.

Thanks for pointing this out @seeteeyou !

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

Thanks for pointing this out @seeteeyou !

You're very welcomed.

The common understanding 5 years or so ago was that Optical was inherently jitter prone. However this conversation on HeadFi does raise some puzzling and interesting questions.

Maybe the mitigation of jitter back then wasn't as good as what we've got now? It's certainly a viable option to go for Toslink these days if DXD and DSD128 (or above) weren't such a big deal.

I also tried the Optical input via a cheap DDC and it also sounded very good.

That could very well be the "strangest" part if you will, there are so many great things out there while they don't always cost that much to begin with. LT3045 from Alexey (0.5A and 1A) and Michael (3A and 5A) are fantastic as long as we don't need anything more than 15V / 5A.

Recently Bob also discovered the transformational power of passive PoE with quite a few shielded CAT 7 short cables, they almost cost next to nothing and we're good to go as long as the current draw ain't too high.

Then we could also combine both LT3045 and passive PoE to feed an extremely cheap USB hub plus a card reader, the only one that's "somewhat" expensive should be this 4GB SLC card for $65 or so

https://ciiva.com/part/rp-smsc04da1-20938590

10 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Bottom line:  will you be buying Habst cables?

Not sure yet. The cost is eye watering, for one. Also, I want to compare with the SOtM cables.

I also need to negate the impedance mismatch. I will be borrowing Eric’s 75 ohm tX to try in my system. 

If the results hold, I’ll have to send my tX back to SOtM to reconfigure to 75 ohm, just to use the Habst.

That’s a real hassle. So at the moment, I will likely Habstain. :P 

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

LOL.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Habst will easily beat the SOtM cables.  Since they are more than twice the price for a 1m cable, they ought to be better.  BTW, Habst is introducing a 50 ohm cable this month, so you may not need to send the tX back to Korea.

I hope we can eventually do the comparison.

46 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Not sure yet. The cost is eye watering, for one. Also, I want to compare with the SOtM cables.

I also need to negate the impedance mismatch. I will be borrowing Eric’s 75 ohm tX to try in my system. 

If the results hold, I’ll have to send my tX back to SOtM to reconfigure to 75 ohm, just to use the Habst.

A case of he who habst and he who habst not!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Clock the Casbah!

Just clocking in with some updates and findings. First the big news - I have sold my Cybershaft OP-14, and acquired a Mutec Ref 10. The main reason is that I anticipate, over the next few months, to have need for more than one 10MHz clock output. Of course, the Ref 10 also delivers a substantial sonic boost, as it should, given the price differential.

I still remain very interested in how the Ref 10 and sCLK-OCX10 compare to each other, and I hope to be able to do this comparison in the near future.

The other area I've been dabbling in is clock cables. My baseline for some time has been:

I recently tried the following alternatives:

Results

First, the SMB cable comparison - this was a test to see if going from a 12" RG-316 to an 8" RG-400 cable would yield an improvement. I had asked Lee about it, and he thought it should... but it did not. I found the Digikey RG-316 baseline to sound better. Obviously, for this test, I was using streamed music from Tidal to flow through my reclocked switch.

Next up, I compared the two 50Ω BNC cables, from the Ref 10 to my tX-USBultra. Here, I found the Pasternack was better. Not a huge difference, but just a subtle uptick in resolution and coherence. Just in time, since the Cybershaft cable was accompanying the OP-14 to its next happy owner.

With the Habst and mystery cable, Eric and I had planned a session on his system, because his tX-USBultra is configured for 75Ω reference clock input. But I couldn't help trying both out anyway in my system, despite the impedance mismatch. With these 75Ω cables, I connected them to a 75Ω output of the Ref 10, but obviously on the destination, they were hooked up to the 50Ω input of my tX-USBultra. The results were very interesting. Compared to my new baseline (50Ω Pasternack PE3582LF):

• the mystery cable did not sound good at all. Very smeary and unfocused.
  • the Habst. OMFG! At first, I didn't really register it, but from the second and subsequent A/B switches, the improvement with this cable was astonishing. It was a combination of even more focus, coherence, and resolution (I always explain this to people like the focus knob of a camera lens), as well as smoother tone, and a big bump in realism. Instruments sounded more real and natural. There was more meat on the bone.

My reaction to positive improvements by cables is always annoyance. 9_9 Dagnabbit! I hate the idea of spending 700€ or more for one of these puppies. But the improvement was repeatable and big. I am still floored by it. BTW - Roy's cable's ground plug was broken, so I didn't ground this to anything. Looking at these Habst cables, it's a twisted pair of two fairly hefty gauge 5N cryo silver conductors. I'm guessing the silver alone jacks up the cost of these things. Oy!

But that's not the end of the story. Today we did a 75Ω BNC comparison on @limniscate Eric's system. Eric's setup is different than mine, and looks like this:

• Zenith SE > tX-USBultra (HDPlex 12V) > dX-USB HD Ultra (LPS-1.2 12V) > (AES) > Yggy DAC
  • Ref 10 -> 50Ω BNC to SMB Digikey cable > dX
  • Ref 10 -> 75Ω BNC to BNC Amphenol cable > tX (baseline)

We considered the Amphenol the baseline, and then compared it to the Habst and the mystery cable. We tried 2 different tracks: Game of Love, Daft Punk, and Mahler 5th, last movement. In terms of methodology, the test was blind for Eric, but sighted for me, as I was switching the cables.

On the Daft Punk, we both agreed on our order of preference for the cables:

1. mystery cable (!)
  2. Habst
  3. Amphenol

On the Mahler, Eric's preference order was still as above, although the gap between 1 and 2 was close. For me though, the order of preference was:

1. Habst
  2. mystery
  3. Amphenol

Scratching your head? Yeah, us too! Make of all this what you will.

Cables. Gah!

You should try a cable direct from the sCLK to the REF 10.  RF/UL to BNC.  Avoiding multiple cables and connectors.

I will be able to soon. Had everything ready. REF 10 warming up. Got the boards back from SOtM and no video. Power is good. Lights on the LAN but no video so don't know what's up. Need to send it back. More time and money... 

In the mean time I brought home a Manley Chinook phono pre to audition. Looking forward to that. 

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

The other area I've been dabbling in is clock cables. My baseline for some time has been:

First, the SMB cable comparison - this was a test to see if going from a 12" RG-316 to an 8" RG-400 cable would yield an improvement. I had asked Lee about it, and he thought it should... but it did not. I found the Digikey RG-316 baseline to sound better. 

Your baseline 50Ω smb to smb digikey cable - is this the one going from your Tx-ultra to the Zyxel switch? 

I'm using the (longish) generic smb-smb cable supplied by sotm between my music server and a tx-USBhub-EX.  Just wondering  if you originally had the same sotm smb cable and upgraded to this digikey cable?

5 minutes ago, tims said:

Your baseline 50Ω smb to smb digikey cable - is this the one going from your Tx-ultra to the Zyxel switch?

Yes.

5 minutes ago, tims said:

I'm using the (longish) generic smb-smb cable supplied by sotm between my music server and a tx-USBhub-EX.  Just wondering  if you originally had the same sotm smb cable and upgraded to this digikey cable?

I never used the 1m cable supplied by SOtM. I ordered the Digikey before my trifecta arrived.

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Clock the Casbah!

Just clocking in with some updates and findings. First the big news - I have sold my Cybershaft OP-14, and acquired a Mutec Ref 10. The main reason is that I anticipate, over the next few months, to have need for more than one 10MHz clock output. Of course, the Ref 10 also delivers a substantial sonic boost, as it should, given the price differential.

I still remain very interested in how the Ref 10 and sCLK-OCX10 compare to each other, and I hope to be able to do this comparison in the near future.

Results

First, the SMB cable comparison - this was a test to see if going from a 12" RG-316 to an 8" RG-400 cable would yield an improvement. I had asked Lee about it, and he thought it should... but it did not. I found the Digikey RG-316 baseline to sound better. Obviously, for this test, I was using streamed music from Tidal to flow through my reclocked switch.

Next up, I compared the two 50Ω BNC cables, from the Ref 10 to my tX-USBultra. Here, I found the Pasternack was better. Not a huge difference, but just a subtle uptick in resolution and coherence. Just in time, since the Cybershaft cable was accompanying the OP-14 to its next happy owner.

With the Habst and mystery cable, Eric and I had planned a session on his system, because his tX-USBultra is configured for 75Ω reference clock input. But I couldn't help trying both out anyway in my system, despite the impedance mismatch. With these 75Ω cables, I connected them to a 75Ω output of the Ref 10, but obviously on the destination, they were hooked up to the 50Ω input of my tX-USBultra. The results were very interesting. Compared to my new baseline (50Ω Pasternack PE3582LF):

• the mystery cable did not sound good at all. Very smeary and unfocused.
  • the Habst. OMFG! At first, I didn't really register it, but from the second and subsequent A/B switches, the improvement with this cable was astonishing. It was a combination of even more focus, coherence, and resolution (I always explain this to people like the focus knob of a camera lens), as well as smoother tone, and a big bump in realism. Instruments sounded more real and natural. There was more meat on the bone.

My reaction to positive improvements by cables is always annoyance. 9_9 Dagnabbit! I hate the idea of spending 700€ or more for one of these puppies. But the improvement was repeatable and big. I am still floored by it. BTW - Roy's cable's ground plug was broken, so I didn't ground this to anything. Looking at these Habst cables, it's a twisted pair of two fairly hefty gauge 5N cryo silver conductors. I'm guessing the silver alone jacks up the cost of these things. Oy!

But that's not the end of the story. Today we did a 75Ω BNC comparison on @limniscate Eric's system. Eric's setup is different than mine, and looks like this:

• Zenith SE > tX-USBultra (HDPlex 12V) > dX-USB HD Ultra (LPS-1.2 12V) > (AES) > Yggy DAC
  • Ref 10 -> 50Ω BNC to SMB Digikey cable > dX
  • Ref 10 -> 75Ω BNC to BNC Amphenol cable > tX (baseline)

We considered the Amphenol the baseline, and then compared it to the Habst and the mystery cable. We tried 2 different tracks: Game of Love, Daft Punk, and Mahler 5th, last movement. In terms of methodology, the test was blind for Eric, but sighted for me, as I was switching the cables.

On the Daft Punk, we both agreed on our order of preference for the cables:

1. mystery cable (!)
  2. Habst
  3. Amphenol

On the Mahler, Eric's preference order was still as above, although the gap between 1 and 2 was close. For me though, the order of preference was:

1. Habst
  2. mystery
  3. Amphenol

Scratching your head? Yeah, us too! Make of all this what you will.

Cables. Gah!

Another option with clock cables is to apply JSSG to improve the shielding.  Perhaps $2 USD per foot for materials.

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

My reaction to positive improvements by cables is always annoyance. 9_9 Dagnabbit! I hate the idea of spending 700€ or more for one of these puppies. But the improvement was repeatable and big. I am still floored by it. BTW - Roy's cable's ground plug was broken, so I didn't ground this to anything.

It's a pity you didn't get to try the grounding plug of the Habst. It made quite a difference when I tried it compared to without the grounding plug.