On 3/6/2018 at 10:05 AM, christopher3393 said:

The Medieval Piper

Silke Gwendolyn Schulze

MI0004361761.thumb.jpg.1c4a77d4fb8c5be880efa3d8c60400a1.jpg

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2262319

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/the-medieval-piper-silke-gwendolyn-schulze/5028421955667

not for everyone (understatement) but I really enjoyed it.

Well, I enjoyed it.  Listened to it last evening, and may just do it again this evening.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Can anyone comment on this latest release from Jordi Savall. Eleven discs for $30!

It is not with Alia Vox but rather appears on Warner Classics. Although I have utter confidence in Senor Savall's work, my concern is with Warner Classics. I recently purchased a three disc compilation and discovered when I attempted to "rip" to disc that none of the online databases listed the meta-data. I enjoy tagging but entering all track and disc info by hand for eleven discs is a bridge too far.

They appear to be re-releases of previous albums so that may be helpful.

España Eterna - Jordi Savall

Five Centuries of Spanish Music

91XYhHsJ8HL._SL1500_.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Freedb takes a month or slightly more to update with new releases.  I feel your pain with regards to lengthy metadata entry.  Especially where languages and symbols foreign to English keyboards come into play.  So most classical music.

The Savall box looks interesting.  Fairly sure he didn't make any new digital recordings with Victoria de los Ángeles.  This makes me wonder if it means unearthed from the archives in a quality that saw it put there in the first place, for the asking price?

Front2.jpg

4 minutes ago, rando said:

Freedb takes a month or slightly more to update with new releases.  I feel your pain with regards to lengthy metadata entry.  Especially where languages and symbols foreign to English keyboards come into play.  So most classical music.

The Savall box looks interesting.  Fairly sure he didn't make any new digital recordings with Victoria de los Ángeles.  This makes me wonder if it means unearthed from the archives in a quality that saw it put there in the first place, for the asking price?

Front2.jpg

The album without any online metadata I mentioned was released in the first week of January and still nothing there or any where else. I hold Savall in high regard and it would be hard to imagine him "dumping" inferior recordings but I am puzzled. I'm used to spending $20 on a handsome SACD with lovely artwork and scholarly liner notes.

+1 on Frost and Mozart!

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

The first three, as well as ninth and eleventh are listed as older remasters.  I wasn't suggesting inferior SQ so much as a mixed bag; artistically banished(?) and reissued works that didn't sell.  It could be wonderful or forgettable or simply for the completists.  JPC has samples of the first disc.

Packaging might very well define minimal.  When Naïve reissued Vivaldi edition discs as small boxed sets the sleeves all but disintegrated upon removal for playing.  

With a closer look, I see that I have a couple already. I'm sure that even if it is of uneven appeal to me, I could pull together a few "discs" in a compilation of sorts. The concern that gives me pause is the chance that metadata is not available. I dropped a note a few weeks ago to Warner Classics about the absence of album & track info and have yet to hear from them.

Austin... My favorite ST is Crime Of The Century, especially on the Japanese vinyl...

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

4 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Hi BacHolz, working from memory here, but I believe all of these are re-releases. I never purchased this because I already owned a number of them and had no problem ripping them with dbPoweramp. Some of the sq isn't up to the better AliaVox recordings, but there are some real gems in this set. I'd encourage you to get it. But I'd have to add that I've done the meta-data manually for numerous recordings, possibly including a few in this set. I have the time and patience for it but realize many may not.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the encouragement and feedback. I've ordered it with the thought of selecting those tracks that appeal to me and putting together a personal perspective on 500 Years of Spanish Music. I also use dBpoweramp and am hopeful that the meta-data can be found therein.

On 08/03/2018 at 6:39 AM, austinpop said:

Old favorite.

Supertramp_-_Crisis.jpg

Have you been worrying about Brexit? :D

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 3/9/2018 at 9:21 AM, Priaptor said:

Here is another Great Supertramp, particularly the first cut.  Not sure if you can find it on a download BUT if you can find the initial redbook release it is one of my favorites. 

Folder.jpg

On 3/9/2018 at 9:29 AM, freesteve said:

Austin... My favorite ST is Crime Of The Century, especially on the Japanese vinyl...

Guys, I have all the ST albums. Multiple versions. :D My faves are the 24/192 remaster of the Crime of the Century, and the Japanese SHM-SACD of Breakfast in America.

I would love to see SHM-SACDs of Crisis What Crisis and Even in the Quietest Moments. Has anyone tried the SHM-CD (not SACD) versions?

7 hours ago, semente said:

Have you been worrying about Brexit? :D

I have enough worries in good ol' US of A for me to worry about other counties. 9_9 

On 3/8/2018 at 6:48 PM, BacHolz said:

Can anyone comment on this latest release from Jordi Savall. Eleven discs for $30!

[...]  España Eterna - Jordi Savall: Five Centuries of Spanish Music

5 hours ago, Musicophile said:

The latest recording of Bach's magnificent b-minor mass, from the great William Christie. [...]

Wow, buy queue overflow... :D And speaking of William Christie, Album of Friday Evening and Saturday Afternoon:

Jean-Baptiste Lully: Atys

Les Arts Florissants, William Christie, et al.

MI0002842323.jpg