On 3/30/2018 at 4:20 PM, accwai said:

Heinrich Schütz: Lukas-Passion

Ars Nova Copenhagen, Paul Hillier

51lOrq1IxAL._SL300_.jpg

Now all three of Schütz passions have made appearance in this thread...

Streaming on Tidal now, hitting the spot....somehow is meshing with my 4 year olds chatter 

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

29 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Gerry Rafferty - City to City

Just relaxing tonight with old familiar music...  sounds even better these days than it did when it was new. Perhaps a new definition for "classical" music? :)

5ac1b5f63ddf9_ScreenShot2018-04-01at11_46_27PM.thumb.png.ba554ade1675af0a0fca87869cb0f15e.png

Paul

A favourite of mine too.

Nice to see you posting.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

7 hours ago, austinpop said:

Exploring MQA classical albums on Tidal, and found this gem:

61IT2gcP3rL._SS500.jpg

Really enjoyed the Sibelius, haven't heard the Walton yet.

I feel just slightly pedantic, but you did use that awful three letter scourge of the upright and courageous prominently in your post.  x-D

On 1/1/2018 at 2:56 PM, rando said:

1280x1280.jpg   1280x1280.jpg

Slowly uncovering some good music on Tidal I'd otherwise not expend myself to track down just based on reputation.

7 hours ago, austinpop said:

Exploring MQA classical albums on Tidal, and found this gem:

61IT2gcP3rL._SS500.jpg

Really enjoyed the Sibelius, haven't heard the Walton yet.

Have you, by chance, compared it to the SACD (or DSD rip)?

2 hours ago, rando said:

I feel just slightly pedantic, but you did use that awful three letter scourge of the upright and courageous prominently in your post.  x-D

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Have you, by chance, compared it to the SACD (or DSD rip)?

I am staying out of the religious wars.

I merely have a nice MQA-capable DAC in house for a few weeks, so wanted to explore what was out there on Tidal, especially in the classical genre.

So Ted - I don’t own this recording in any other format to be able to compare.

What I will say is the classical pickings are slim, but there are some nice gems, that I will post here as I find and enjoy them.

Finding stuff is a bear too, but I found this list (http://www.meridianunplugged.com/downloads/MQA_List.csv), in conjunction with the Tidal desktop app’s little M designator, to be fairly useful.

R-8307489-1483235129-4843.jpeg.jpg

Recorded in 1939. To give a hint what's so special  (from excellent review on Musicweb)

"...Mengelberg sat in the audience in Amsterdam in 1904 to hear Mahler conduct the symphony with the Concertgebouw Orchestra twice in the same concert. He also attended the rehearsals, discussed the work with Mahler, and made copious notes in his score with Mahler's co-operation..."

http://www.musicweb-international.com/Mahler/Mahler4.htm

PS - I noticed that the album art cover shows up WAY bigger than others on the thread.  I copied and pasted it from Discogs.  As I'm rather new to this, how does/can one/ scale imported images ?

2 minutes ago, Norton said:

Likewise:

0190295775070%20Du%20Pr%C3%A9%20-%20Dvor

What a coincidence. I just listened to a 24/96 download of this album last night. The mix of instruments was really odd, with the cello upfront and huge and some of the orchestral passages sounded in the distance. I don't know if the MQA remaster will sound like that.

But man, what a performance by du Pre!  and Barenboim leads the CSO with complete self assurance and mastery. Outstanding.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

A BBC recording of the year, listening in SACD

"This beautifully thought-through disc has horn player Alec Frank-Gemmill and pianist Alasdair Beatson playing four different pianos and four different horns, all historically appropriate, in a programme ranging through Rossini, Glazunov, Dukas and more."

A Noble & Melancholy Instrument

by Alec Frank-Gemill (horn) & Alasdair Beatson (piano)

5002938-origpic-2256b4.jpg_0_0_100_100_1

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.