Juilliard String Quartet

1. Haydn: Three Quartets, Op.54 (Remastered) [24/96]

2. Beethoven: String Quartets (Remastered) [24/96]

qobuz

There are some more 2018 remastered albums of the Juilliard Quartet, but these two are my favorites. Interpretation and SQ are great. I listened to them in the last few days and enjoy them this evening again - really great and a pleasure!

folder 2.jpg

folder.jpg

1 hour ago, rando said:

Dennis Russell Davies, while heading the St Paul Chamber Orchestra, decided to fix the lack of romantic material for small orchestras by re-orchestrating Dvorák's Bagatelles.

The phantom cursor typo was bugging me even it was still decipherable.

Bach: Suites Nos. 4, 5, 6

Hopkinson Smith

MI0003494255.jpg

This is an odd one. On first listen, both suites #4 and #6 have bass notes added to prop up the implied harmony. Checking random places with score in hand confirms that. Suite #5, on the other hand, doesn't sound nearly as embellished. Then it hits me it might be Bach's own lute transcription BWV 995, which is G minor instead of the cello version's C minor.

Showed a youngster with perfect pitch the last phrase of #5's Prelude and was told that the last chord is a G# major chord. Quick glance at the cello score shows a raised median in the tonic chord on the final cadence. That means it's really a movement in minor with a Picardy third ending. Assuming Baroque pitch on the lute here, what sounds like G# in modern pitch should really be an A. Quick peep at the album booklet finds Hopkinson Smith saying he transposed BWV 995 up a whole tone to A minor to avoid awkward finger caused by the G minor key.

So mystery solved and everything makes sense now :D

8 hours ago, Spacehound said:

This is an  extremely aspirational pastime which mostly isn't about music.

Ouch, you got me! Yeah I don't really know much about music. Just spewing mumble jumble to impress fellow audiophiles. But everybody knows 發燒友 are really uncultured. That's why they're so gullible. Anyway, enough of my pretentious garbage above. Please tell us something substantial about music so we too can develop some culture. Thank!

Hello Musicophile,

Listened to Perahia's Beethoven in the car yesterday. Read your blog (I like it :)). It's on the "greed-list".

Started the day with his French Suites, I keep returning to these discs (it's one of my favorite Bach recordings). Every music lover should listen to Bach, and Perahia is not a bad choice to start with.

We played a lot of music today (Schubert/Harnoncourt, Art Pepper (+Eleven), BB King), but the disc of the day is:

Folder.jpg

1 hour ago, WAM said:

Hello Musicophile,

Listened to Perahia's Beethoven in the car yesterday. Read your blog (I like it :)). It's on the "greed-list".

Started the day with his French Suites, I keep returning to these discs (it's one of my favorite Bach recordings). Every music lover should listen to Bach, and Perahia is not a bad choice to start with.

We played a lot of music today (Schubert/Harnoncourt, Art Pepper (+Eleven), BB King), but the disc of the day is:

Folder.jpg

My favorite EST album!

7 hours ago, WAM said:

...but the disc of the day is:

Folder.jpg

A creative voice lost too soon.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

14 hours ago, Booster MPS said:

New Jarosz/O'Donovan/Watkins here as the band I'm With Her.  If you are a fan of their solo work, you get a unique combo here that sounds like no single one of their albums, yet like all of them at the same time.  Also a pretty contemporary spin.

ImWithHer_SeeYouAroundFINAL.jpg

Just st ordered at prostudiomasters.com

thanks for your post

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

10 hours ago, HIFI said:

Just st ordered at prostudiomasters.com

thanks for your post

The same here. I've enjoyed the work of Jarosz and Watkins but Aoife O'Donovan is new to me. Discovered that "I'm With Her" is come to Seattle soon. A most anticipated event. So, again, thanks for sharing...

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

cover.thumb.JPG.9cce9785f5969939dde6160c90daa86e.JPG

Beethoven: Triple Concerto. Pierre Fournier, cello; Geza Anda, piano; Wolfgang Schneiderhan, violin. Ferenc Fricsay conducts the Radio Symphony Orchestra Berlin.

The 1960 sound isn't among the best, but the playing makes up for it. A 24/96 HDTapeTransfers download.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.