Mahler: Symphony No.6

Osmo Vanska/ Minnesota Orchestra

5019897-origpic-8f15bb.thumb.jpg.343a769cba31ce6c527dab66eb32f354.jpg

http://www.eclassical.com/conductors/vanska-osmo/mahler-symphony-no6.html

"Albert Camus once wrote ‘when I describe what the catastrophe of modern man looks like, music comes into my mind – the music of Gustav Mahler’. If asked to specify a particular work, it is quite possible that Camus would have proposed Symphony No. 6 in A minor – the symphony that Bruno Walter claimed portrayed ‘a terrifying, hopeless darkness, without a human sound’."

2 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

"Albert Camus once wrote ‘when I describe what the catastrophe of modern man looks like, music comes into my mind – the music of Gustav Mahler’. If asked to specify a particular work, it is quite possible that Camus would have proposed Symphony No. 6 in A minor – the symphony that Bruno Walter claimed portrayed ‘a terrifying, hopeless darkness, without a human sound’."

+1 My favorite till now is the Bernstein/VPO, but this one may be better. Sonics are great.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Sound quality is a bit harsh but the performances are thrilling, with a lot of slapping and kicking, in a sweet and sour manner that reminds me of Mravinsky's recordings of Tchaikovsky's 4, 5 and 6th:

MI0003554452.jpg

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 3/24/2018 at 8:46 AM, christopher3393 said:

I am a huge fan of Osmo - I guess that makes me an Osmonaut. ;) His Sibelius cycle on BIS are among the most treasured recordings in my library.

When it comes to Mahler though, both this release of the 6th, and the previous 5th on BIS - while they're both outstanding recordings - do not move me as much as my 2 favorite modern Mahlerians: Benjamin Zander and Michael Tilson-Thomas (MTT). Osmo's interpretation seems to be a bit too reserved and - dare I say it - Nordic - for my tastes. But this is a matter of taste. I'm sure many will disagree, and that's OK. Either way, there is no disputing these new Mahler BIS releases are sonic gems, and a worthy addition to any library.

In my case, this is the 7th recording of the Mahler 6th in my library. 9_9

Goodbye To Love by Claudia Thompson

"A sultry and sophisticated songbird. The ultra-rare debut and sole output of a wondrous and mysterious vocalist, perfectly accompanied by guitar icon Barney Kessel. An Early Stereo marvel from the original 1959 tapes! 

Kessel was a jazz pioneer -- as one of the leading lights of the hard-bop movement, his jazz guitar was legendary, and he was ranked the No. 1 guitarist in Down Beat and Playboy for numerous years. He played with Sonny Rollins and Oscar Peterson and Ella Fitzgerald as well as leading his own super-tight group. On albums such as The Poll Winners, Kessel defined the bop style with a jazz "power trio," creating a body of work that made him a legend. 

Not much is known of Claudia Thompson -- even though the record's a long-time crate digger classic, she remains a mystery. But her stunning voice will knock you out -- sounding like the precedent of singers like Karen Carpenter, her no-nonsense, emotion-soaked singing carries marvellously a collection of standards including "Stormy Weather" and "Body And Soul." Kessel's remarkable playing provides a sparkling backing for her vocals. The album has been pressed onto gold vinyl and wrapped in a restored sleeve that captures the beauty of the era. 

Claudia Thompson has a perfectly tuned, and wildly dramatic voice. Picture a female Chet Baker; you’ll have to hear it to believe it. released March 14, 2018"

That's the spiel, the recording from Hollywood in 1959 would make you think it was recorded yesterday, (where's the tape hiss...> Nowhere) . Stunning and pristine voice imaging, great height and certainly a test for any chain is a feature from this excellent recording. 

The publisher, Sundazed/Modern Harmonic have quite a few gems in store, worth a browse!

image.thumb.png.318ab81c4a7262ee32c49e120c07031e.pngFrom the 1960's beat era, excellent examples

Claudia Thompson a1622155464_10.jpg

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

21 hours ago, semente said:

Sound quality is a bit harsh but the performances are thrilling, with a lot of slapping and kicking, in a sweet and sour manner that reminds me of Mravinsky's recordings of Tchaikovsky's 4, 5 and 6th:

MI0003554452.jpg

Interesting, what format?

42 minutes ago, Norton said:

Interesting, what format?

Redbook. I wonder if the original is a Melodiya recording.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

12 hours ago, One and a half said:

The publisher, Sundazed/Modern Harmonic have quite a few gems in store, worth a browse!

I like their slogan:

Kinda like a record company, except fun and run by music lovers.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I haven't been impressed with the previous installments of Manze's RVW cycle, but this one's different.  His 5th is gorgeously warm and radiant; it might very well be my new favorite.  (And the 6th ain't bad either.)  Rich, glowing sound quality, too (96/24 download from HDtracks).

5abc257c95201_VaughanWilliams_Syms56.thumb.jpg.aacecfc8b0a02dbaeb9bed7b8493cdde.jpg

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3