A compilation of versions of "Who's Lovin' You":

https://tidal.com/playlist/1d2bcc21-8a05-49ea-b895-cf68c78c42a1

And a new discovery:

https://tidal.com/album/83111074

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

5abf892df1046_ScreenShot2018-03-31at8_11_23AM.thumb.jpg.b7b889ce0581631bcda3616e99c4f16b.jpg

I've just begun to appreciate Bach's Lute Suites played on the lute after years of listening to them on the classical guitar. The sympathetic vibrations of the added strings give the music a depth that I'd been missing.

Excellent recording by Nigel North:

https://tidal.com/album/60237001

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

On 1/2/2018 at 12:25 AM, Musicophile said:

Gramophone just praised this recording quite a bit (recording of the month) in their latest issue. 

I still have my problems both with the Pathethique and with Currentzis, but I guess I´ll have to check this one out.

I guess I wrote about this recording couple of month ago here. Just to repeat - this was the most involving Tch.' 6th I heard in ages.

13 hours ago, YashN said:

The_Hurting_orig.jpg

This should really be 'album of the year'. I have re-listened to this album (re-discovering it with my custom USB filter + custom USB Connector + DIY Linear Regulated PSU + AC Filter Box + DIY SET Tube Amp) last year many, many times while geeking out on my code, AI, electronics and what not.

This album, these songs remind me of my youth where the world was rich with possibilities, those of technology, of science, of computers, circuits, synthesizers, when studying these was so pure and brought much happiness, and the clean synthesized sounds of British New Wave, together with other wonderful pieces by Italian, French and German bands.

Tears For Fears - The Hurting

What a beautiful album. The synthesizers are there. But although there are guitars too, they find their proper place as the songs are more than the sometimes simplistic naive romantic songs of early Brit New Wave (which in their own fashion are also beautiful).

Now, for me though, there's one piece that I have to remove from the album when listening to it, as it clashes against the refined pop of the others. It's 'The Prisoner'. It grates for me, it might not for you. This album also does in fact, in the feelings evoked and the songs and the subject matter, represent escapism for me. There might be an odd form of coincidence here.

In this album, TFF already showed a rather sophisticated flair for songwriting, confirmed later with their other smash hit follow-up album and some of the later ones too.

Simply amazing album!

AllMusic Review by Tim DiGravina

Rollerskate Skinny's Horsedrawn Wishes is an amazing 60 minutes of music that sounds like a stunning, warped genre onto itself. All four band members are credited with orchestration, and it's a credit that seems completely appropriate. Swirling, wailing, and buzzing guitars intersect with each other in a melodic cacophony that's as successful and innovative as My Bloody Valentine's trailblazing album Loveless; it should be noted that Rollerskate Skinny previously had Jim Shields (the brother of My Bloody Valentine frontman Kevin Shields) as a member. Where the band's debut Shoulder Voices was brilliant without complete cohesion, Horsedrawn Wishes contains a similar, amplified brilliance in a pool of focused songcraft. Each song is a mini-symphony, built on stunning melodies, charming hooks, and powerful dynamics. Some listeners might find the songs too busy, but that's where the music's heart rests; guitars, keyboards, and seemingly any instrument at hand blend into one smorgasbord of joy. Likeminded bands such as Mercury Rev and the Flaming Lips were never able to achieve the glory of a well-executed vision like that of Rollerskate Skinny here. It's quite hard to pick any songs as winners over others on the album. "Speed to My Side" sounds like the Beatles and My Bloody Valentine caught in a space-time continuum; Ken Griffin's touching vocals and a drum's thumping beat coalesce under crazed guitars in a soup of genius orchestration. The song is quite noisy, but equally gorgeous. "All Mornings Break" reveals the intelligent-spooky side of the band's sound. Hushed vocals and acoustic guitar suggest the La's in an echo chamber. "Shimmer Son Like a Star" seems lifted from a Mercury Rev and My Bloody Valentine collaboration that never happened. "Bell Jars Away" is as delicate as it is compelling, before falling apart in a grand way. Rollerskate Skinny creates elegant sounds, masters walls of guitars (and walls of other instruments as well), and arranges its songs so the hooks have maximum impact. Horsedrawn Wishes should be required listening for...everyone. It's one of the most original albums in rock and one of the best albums of the 1990s.

023117A3-148E-442D-94A8-91EABDE85FA0.png

41 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

One thing you have to give to Currentzis, he never leaves people indifferent. It's typically love or hate.

Also, he is one who completely out of stale soviet-russian performing traditions which is still dominate in that more and more iron curtained part of the world. It is quite amazing by itself, even considering he is a Greek living there.

5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Which versions of 6th you would recommend? Thank you.

The classic versions by Mravinsky and Markevitch.  Most recently, Honeck.

4 hours ago, Musicophile said:

One thing you have to give to Currentzis, he never leaves people indifferent. It's typically love or hate.

I will grant you that.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

The classic versions by Mravinsky and Markevitch.  Most recently, Honeck.

Mravinsky is, probably the best for Tchaikovsky readings. I heard many of his versions, starting from LPs in old times and numerous TV concerts in Soviet times. From current CDs I believe mono DG are the best from his 5th and 6th. But I will not even compare it with Currentzis. The sound, the approach, everything is vastly different. And I would like to have both. Didn't hear Honeck yet, but will be much excited after his Beethovens.

2 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

The sound, the approach, everything is vastly different.

I thought the sound is pretty poor.  Poor balances, limited dynamic range, lack of soundstage depth, some harsh-sounding brass and a few extraneous non-musical sounds.  What is that noise that begins the last movement?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

10 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I thought the sound is pretty poor.  Poor balances, limited dynamic range, lack of soundstage depth, some harsh-sounding brass and a few extraneous non-musical sounds.  What is that noise that begins the last movement?

I like the sound very much, in my earphones it sounds terrific, very emotional. Yes, there was a strange sound in one moment, but it doesn't spoil the impression much.

On 3/29/2018 at 6:19 PM, pkane2001 said:

Debargue is definitely not the same old. Very enjoyable Ravel and Liszt. Chopin too. Scarlatti not my cup of tea. 

image.thumb.png.cb1bf8a2dcf27af832bd9b664449a1cd.png

Thank you for this posting! Somehow this album (and pianist) eluded me when it was released a couple of years ago, as I'm usually very keen on new recordings of 'Gaspard de la Nuit'.  I got the 96/24 download yesterday and just listened to it today--pretty fantastic, and dare I say the most exciting recording of Gaspard since Pogorelich's (and in much better sound).

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3