IGNORED

Article: An Audiophile On Vacation

I was wondering what happened to Sheryl Crow.

Is she going with you?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

We did that cataraman tour a couple of years ago. Amazing. I usually go on vacation in silence, or nothing more than some cheesy reggae on the rental car radio while driving to the beach. Makes one system sound that much better on return.

Hawaii boat Napali flare-1006965.jpg

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Oh, how fun! We planned a trip with our adult daughter to Maui and Molokai, April 2020 and . . . welp.

Be sure to try snorkeling. Kauai was my first real snorkeling and I immediately fell in love with it. 

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Very cool setup. I used to travel with iPhone (headphone jack) + RHA MA750 but audiophilia eventually got me to add Chord Mojo and then upgrade to Shure SE535Ltd. Eventually with more upgrades, I now sometimes travel with Chord Hugo 2 and Mr Speakers/Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow Closed (v1) for flights and hotel room use. But if I'm out and about, I still use the wireless Jabra Elite Active 65t because sometimes good enough is good enough. The only constant is iPhone as I have to carry it anyway. Although I have to admit, sometimes I just use my iPad instead.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-m-scaler-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.885042/page-210#post-14601847

Actually Hugo M scaler plus Hugo 2 only on planes. I pack a TT2 in my suitcase, and use that with the M scaler in hotel rooms (like now)...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-167#post-16461141

TT2 is quite a bit warmer (in a good way) in tonal balance than Hugo 2; so when I travel, I take a TT2 with me for hotel use, as the SQ difference is worth the hassle. But it's no where near not a big enough difference to use a TT2 on aircraft (unlike the M scaler for example). So Hugo 2 is still the perfect match for portable/transportable use, which of course is it's raison d'etre!

That might be somewhat "hardcore" if you will, though our lives certainly got much easier thanks to this gift called PGGB from @Zaphod Beeblebrox

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-rs6-next-generation-hi-res-android-music-player.958878/page-85#post-16659926

RS6 supports 2xDXD, which is crazy! I did not try 32bit DXD, and all files were 24 bit, but if you really have a favourite album and you want to hear what it is capable of, try upsampling it and feeding it to your RS6, you never know what you might hear!

It is fair to say this is the first time I've heard 2xDXD on a portable setup, colour me impressed!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-rs6-next-generation-hi-res-android-music-player.958878/page-85#post-16660761

In short, I have nothing but praise for RS6. I will upsample my favourite albums to the maximum resolution RS6 accepts as I hear its benefit. It might also have to do with the program I used. PGGB does extreme filtering using a Matlab upsampling algorithm. The files that I used were upsampling with 256 million taps.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-rs6-next-generation-hi-res-android-music-player.958878/page-85#post-16661266

For me, RS6 is the best product I bought this year, and this year I bought P6, LP6 Gold. The best pairing for me so far has been with Faudio Major paired with Simphonio CS10.

I'm also rocking HiBy RS6 (so far that's the only R2R-based DAP out there with NOS mode and it's exactly we need for PGGB) with JVC HA-FW10000 myself, and it's just incredible to enjoy hundreds of millions of taps anywhere I want.

There's no need to stack something on top of yet another DAC/amp unless I really choose to do so, while I could actually use RS6 as an external DAC for another machine with a much larger SSD. Its USB-C port also supports coaxial S/PDIF output and it already came with a cable for that particular purpose. HiBy also managed to add dedicated line-output ports for both single-ended and balanced connections, there will be no double amping whatsoever if I were connecting RS6 to another headphone amp that's even more powerful. And then it's also quite convenient to control HiBy Music remotely with any iOS / Android devices

https://blog.son-video.com/en/2017/12/two-way-bluetooth-and-hiby-link-control-technology/

Plenty of room for music library since we could add up to 1TB of storage via micro SDXC cards, and then it's also silky smooth to navigate through all that files

https://twister6.com/2021/12/08/hiby-rs6/5/

Also, RS6 is one of the fastest DAPs I have tested to date, even putting to shame my aging Galaxy S9 which has a faster processor and optimized to run Android 10.

BTW, let's just ignore that even MQA turned out to sound quite decent on RS6 since none of us here would even give a damn at all.

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Envy you.  We just cancelled a 15 day vacation in Maui due to Canadian Travel Advisory.  Lost 50% of deposit :(

we had an amazing experience in an open door helicopter tour of Na Pili coast a few years ago.  Just pick a clear day if you want this tour.

Sad to hear @[email protected]. Barring a positive COVID test or Air Canada refusing to fly, I'm still off to Honolulu next week. I've had enough of these dark days and "atmospheric rivers" out here in the West Coast. I agree the helicopter tour is spectacular in Kauai.

Have a great time @The Computer Audiophile on the beautiful island.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

44 minutes ago, joelha said:

I'm a little disappointed in Chris' choices.

I had suggested that he take the Wilson's with him and he gave me the lame excuse that they would be a tight fit in overhead storage.

You either care about the music or you don't.

Have a fantastic trip with your family, Chris.

You deserve it.

Joel

Ha!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png