IGNORED

ASR Audio Science Review forum YouTube Channel

asdf1000

51 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If not, there must be a reason. I don't know what that reason is, but I'm guessing it has to do with commerce and money. Just my guess, based solely on being a human being and understanding how life works.

Maybe I missed some things, but AFAICT he never brings up MQA by himself. Whenever he talks about it, it is always only as a response to some MQA opponents' arguments, which he thinks are flawed in some way (the arguments, not the opponents :-)). Like his vs others definition of what DRM is. I don't know where the money is in that.

47 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

All I know is I recently bought a Matrix Mini-i Pro 3, and when researching it and other Ch-Fi DACs of course ended up at ASR via Google search, and in many of his reviews he had exclamation marks and positive things to say when it came to the fact the DAC(s) supported MQA.

Really? Can you point some actual examples? I just looked through first pages of:

and other than saying if the DAC supports MQA, there are no more mentions of it.

Ok, in Matrix review he says "It was fun to see the MQA indicator light up on the DAC". Damn, I guess he's a fan /s.

43 minutes ago, danadam said:

Ok, in Matrix review he says "It was fun to see the MQA indicator light up on the DAC". Damn, I guess he's a fan /s.

Ok, maybe I'm wrong. Honestly I don't really give a s**t one way or the other and just tossed that off without doing my internet research first. All I know is he has some sort of beef with Sonore and Uptone, two companies whom I use their gear extensively and support. Made me dislike him from the get go, so I suppose call me as biased as he is. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Think about his business, which is a major conflict of interest, and the possibilities of talking bad about MQA. You have to consider the big picture and long term relationships. 

You leveled this type of criticism at Archimago. I think if I turned on monetization on my YT videos for the $0.007 it would make me I'd get painted with the same brush. Is there anything more than a gut feeling you have on this?

4 hours ago, plissken said:

I'm sure he has a pretty penny tied up in audio gear. If you are curious about specifics I would encourage you to register and ask.

No need to, he lists it openly: 

Mark Levinson amplifiers and DAC.

Revel Salon 2 Speakers

Berkeley Alpha USB->AES/EBU converter

Windows 10, silent, custom PC music server

Roon Music Management

Tidal Music Streaming   

(it's a pretty serious gear, I'm quite surprised the guy can't hear eg differences between cables on this system..)

I don't know the ASR site, just been checking Amir's speakers review list. This is nonsense. Not only for me - for him as well, although he probably doesn't know it yet.

I'm taking into account the KRK Rokit 5 which review I posted to here, JBL 305 and Adam Audio T5V which I prefered out of these three. 

BTW Amir also liked them a lot and wrote in their review: 'Really, I live for days like this. Discovering a budget speaker that exceeds your expectations and produces great sound with almost no faults.' IMO he is right - these are really good speakers in their very low price range. They are also quite forgiving as far the quality of of components connected to them is regarded and even for such 'killer' formats like mp3 which on my main system is simply unlistenable. They do everything I expected my 'desktop' speakers to do. 

And to KRKs, JBLs and AAs I will add ...Kef Ls50 which I and I believe also many here as well know quite well. Still very good in their price range (4-5 x more expensive than the earlier mentioned transducers) - IMO of course but I'm sure many will agree.

Here comes the nonsense part.

The KRK's get the score of 3.6 according to Amir and I'm ok with that - they were IMO the worst of the three active speakers I compared with each other. Adam Audios which  both me and Amir preferred to JBLs get 4.2 points. I might be ok with that if it wasn't for the fact that the JBLs get 4.6 points... This is the moment in which he clearly shows he prefers speakers with the lower score - AAs..

But we are only half way into the nonsense at this point, cause..

..Kef LS50 which are absolutely and definitely speakers offering much higher sound quality than any of the three mentioned earlier... also get 4.6 points - just like JBLs... O.o

In addition Kali LP6 (which I haven't heard and Amir prefered much more AAs to them - check the review and his comparisons also with JBLs) costing ..$150 get ...5.2 Audio Science Review points which means they should sound even better than Kefs..O.o

What does it prove.? It proves clearly there is absolutely no correlation between Amir's measurements and sound quality, even sound quality subjectively perceived by Amir.

I think it also shows why in my very first post here I wrote:

23 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

'Audio Science' phrase just makes me laugh

Thank you, for me the topics of both Audio Science and their 'Reviews' are closed :)

40 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Charles, the whole point of that quote was a joke, the fact being that he recommends things like DACs without ever listening to them. I agree that first impressions can be deceiving which is why I wait before deciding to purchase or do a review for that matter, to make sure I fully grasp the sound of a product.

Yes, I realize that, just elaborating on your valid point/joke. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 minute ago, plissken said:

That beef is well defined actually. It goes back to Whatsbestforum when Superdad responded to my post about blind testing his own usb regen product blind. He said any day of the week. Before I could respond Amir offered to go out at his own expense (I offered to split the costs). Then Alex up and didn't post for 18 months immediately after that.

Umm, perhaps because these 'blind test' challenges with expenses paid and big bets going to charity etc are more than a bit puerile in the scheme of things (how life actually works when you have a life), and most likely not truly sincere and waived about to just try and make a point? I wouldn't respond either.

1 minute ago, charlesphoto said:

Umm, perhaps because these 'blind test' challenges with expenses paid and big bets going to charity etc are more than a bit puerile in the scheme of things (how life actually works when you have a life), and most likely not truly sincere and waived about to just try and make a point? I wouldn't respond either.

I believe in your ears as much as you do.

11 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I'm taking into account the KRK Rokit 5 which review I posted to here, JBL 305 and Adam Audio T5V which I prefered out of these three.

FYI you can routinely get the 308p MKII for $189. JBL put's the on sale often. The T5V are $200 normally. Just saying. The 305P MKII can be had for $125 per sometimes.  Just some ROI info.

48 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

But we are only half way into the nonsense at this point, cause..

..Kef LS50 which are absolutely and definitely speakers offering much higher sound quality than any of the three mentioned earlier... also get 4.6 points - just like JBLs... O.o

Currently listening to my Ls50's in the office. Superb sounding as always, even with the highly rated by ASR Matrix Mini Pro-i 3. Even more absurd is he rates the ATC SCM19's, an even better speaker than the Ls50's (I've heard them) at 4.6. It's all hogwash and 'science' filtered through bias imo, which isn't science at all. I'm all for subjective opinions upon actual listening mixed with measuring, but not bias based on solely some most likely inaccurate numbers. 

11 minutes ago, plissken said:

FYI you can routinely get the 308p MKII for $189. JBL put's the on sale often. The T5V are $200 normally. Just saying. The 305P MKII can be had for $125 per sometimes.  Just some ROI info.

What do you think about the other things I said?

5 hours ago, plissken said:

If you are curious about specifics I would encourage you to register and ask.

How much commission are YOU being paid to increase ASR membership ?  😄

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020