IGNORED

ASR Audio Science Review forum YouTube Channel

asdf1000

On 1/6/2019 at 4:03 AM, Teresa said:

I thought Amir was female based on her avatar. So am I wrong and Amir is a male? If so how does one explain her (his) avatar?

2.jpg

I remembered this cute post (quoted above) of yours @Teresa and thought to mention Amir now has a YouTube channel where you can see him.

I can't explain his forum avatar but you will see that isn't him 😃 

Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWp1NY1KXGwcOh1RxKp_-FA/videos

2 hours ago, plissken said:

I can assure you that I'm indeed a cat. Joe is a penguin. I see him at my AA meetings.

Audiophiles Anonymous?

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

3 hours ago, botrytis said:

Audiophiles Anonymous?

Or Audioholics or Avatar Anonymous.?

Or maybe Audioscientists Anonymous..? x-D

Some impressions from the ASR site and their youtube channel, which I've just visited.

I must admit I'm not a huge fan of 'Audiophile Style' name but 'Audio Science' phrase just makes me laugh. Amir, judging by fragments of two youtube clips that I quickly checked out seems pretty nice though. Even though he's not a woman. Anyway I will never trust a guy with a female avatar. I'm serious (I don't mind the Pink Panther toy though). I will also never trust an audiophile/his system if all the cables sound the same to him/on it. They don't. I won't express my views on Audioquest Wind (I quickly checked the review) cause I haven't heard this cable. OTOH while buying my 'desktop' speakers I happened to check KRK Rokit 6 also reviewed by Amir. BTW IMO JBL LSR 305's sounded better (which I regretted cause I have lots of sympathy for KRK's and their Focal drivers) but Adam Audio T5V's sound IMHO was even more refined (they are slightly more expensive though). Anyway, having quite lots of experience with comparative listening tests as an ex dealer I had spent probably 40min in an Amsterdam shop's listening room choosing among these three. Amir didn't need that much time..

So what about his KRK Rokit 6 review and listening test.? Let me quote it.

Here's the descriptive/objective measurements part of it:

........................................................................................................................

"This is a review and detailed measurements of the KRK ROKIT 5 Gen 4 active studio monitor (speaker). It was kindly purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $176 each from Amazon including Prime shipping.

I think these yellow drivers look cute image.gif.df57c103601da449ab15b9162f90e027.gif:  

Nice to see the cabinet sides curved to reduce diffraction. A small waveguide is provided another tweeter:

Given the small woofer, it is probably sufficient.

You can't see it here since the unit is not powered up but despite being a cheap black and white LCD, I was surprised at its usability (JBL, are you listening?):

There is an App that lets you pair with it and apply equalization. I did not test that. On that note, all measurements and listening tests were performed at factory setting.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I performed over 1000 measurement which resulted in error rate of around 1%.

Measurement temperature was 63 degrees. Left the heater on overnight by accident. Probably cost me $5 in heating bill!

Reference axis was center of the tweeter.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

KRK ROKIT 5 Gen 4 Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

The on-axis may look a bit messy to the eye but really, if you zoom out a bit, it is more or less flat. We do have a port interference around 680 Hz which is common with front ports:

Back to spin graph, directivity is good. Tweeter has some ups and downs as we also see in the drive response.

Early window shows a drop in mid-range but also a droop in highs which is not bad a thing:

As noted, floor (and ceiling) reflection are the issue here so put some absorber there or keep that path length long.

Predicted in-room response in far field shows what we already know:

Beamwidth is surprisingly good:

This small woofer is mating well with that wave-guided tweeter. The sharp narrowing toward the end is probably not a bad thing to take away extra sharpness.

We see the same in our contour plot:

Vertical response is typical of these two-way speakers so stay at or slightly above tweeter axis to avoid the holes at 2 to 3 kHz:

Waterfall shows some resonances:

We see the prominent one around 680 Hz which we observed in spin graph just as well.

Distortion is quite good actually at 86 dBSPL, and horrible at 96, the latter of which I could hear during testing:

I am going to show the 96 dB graph in absolute form as I always do. Question: should I switch to using 86 dB in the future for smaller speakers? It will make it harder to then compare all speakers together.

..............................................................................................................................................

Stop here please!!!!!!!!!

A reminder - according to Amir he had performed over 1000 measurements!

OTOH here are his listening impressions:

...............................................................................................................................................

"I only needed 10 seconds of listening to my standard first reference track to know the sound was right. Very nice tonality which continued to deliver just the same through the rest of my tracks."

................................................................................................................................................

That's it. Seriously.

I have to admit I have a problem with the review proportions like that. Not only because I can tell much, much more about not only KRK's but also about the above mentioned JBL's and obviously Adam Audio's which I had bought - I'm almost obliged to, after spending with all three of them 4 quarters of an hour, and not simply judging them after 10 seconds - but also because:

I don't buy audio equipment to measure it (I don't mind if it measures good of course though), maybe I'm weird but I buy it to listen to the music. I never measure it, maybe some do but I turn it on when I want to listen to some music.

I also don't measure cars, I drive them (although I like to know how much power they have cause I know the difference eg between 200bhp and 100bhp cars which are similar in size).

I watch movies on TVs I buy, I don't measure them as well (except from the fact that I'm interested in their size before buying them).

BTW I also don't measure women (but I must admit here I'm a little bit interested in their size - I have a preference for slim ones), I ask them about their size if I want to buy them eg some lingerie, next I quickly forget about it though. Anyway never in my life I have measured a woman.. I do some other things with them though.

But it's probably only me. I guess ASR readers do the opposite...

Edit: I'm neither a sexist nor I objectify women, some exaggeration in the above examples was intended.

14 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

At least he listened to these speakers for 10 seconds before he decided all was good.

I think one might have some problem with the fact that people who will eventually buy speakers that a reviewer listened to for 10 seconds in some cases will listen to them for the rest of their lives :D

@The Computer Audiophile   @Kal Rubinson , if I may ask, guys:

1. What's the average time you spend on listening to speakers or other gear while reviewing it.?

2. How often the initial impressions from, let's say the first minute of listening are all you have to say after your listening tests about how particular gear sounds and can be expressed in one sentence.?

I'm just trying to show something which is pretty obvious to me.. 

Edit: Ps. Here's link to the original review, couldn't embed the beautiful png graphs:

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/krk-rokit-5-gen-4-review-studio-monitor.20711/

Amir worked as a software engineer ad Microsoft, I think, before the ASR site. I think he has too much of his ego in the game there and that is dangerous. Unlike Chris, who usually let's us look like buffoons at times, Amir uses the ban hammer quickly.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

14 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Amir uses the ban hammer quickly.

I may be tempted to check him in this regard soon x-D

9 minutes ago, plissken said:

ASR

image.png.7e31f060c0a09eff99ea0a6379008ad0.png

AS

image.png.dc55cfe3e762e765305a8582449fbc63.png

I'm somehow not surprised, Fiats are also more popular than Porsches..:D

I don't know - maybe there is even a rule (that would probably work in case of my subjective ranking) - the more popular the site, the more probable that (subjectively - for me) sh...y it is. Definitely works in case of FB where I needed (due to some business plans) to register a couple of months ago..

Just now, sphinxsix said:

I'm somehow not surprised, Fiats are also more popular than Porsches..

This is the false equivalency that ASR threads often revolve around.  AS and ASR cost exactly the same unlike Fiats and Porches.

No if we made Fiats and Porches the same price you let me know which you would buy.

1 minute ago, plissken said:

This is the false equivalency that ASR threads often revolve around.  AS and ASR cost exactly the same unlike Fiats and Porches.

No if we made Fiats and Porches the same price you let me know which you would buy.

I meant popularity vs quality factor, didn't take prices into account. Read the whole post.

Just now, sphinxsix said:

I meant popularity vs quality factor, didn't take prices into account. Read the whole post.

I'm quite capable of reading the post. As a matter of fact you said popularity not quality. Please don't move the goal posts. I asked a simple question: if Fiat and Porsches were the same cost which do you think more people would drive?

4 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I said popularity vs sh....yness (which is connected with quality or rather lack of it)

Here is your post in it's entirety in case you misremember some more:

I don't know - maybe there is even a rule (that would probably work in case of my subjective ranking) - the more popular the site, the more probable that (subjectively - for me) sh...y it is. Definitely works in case of FB where I needed (due to some business plans) to register a couple of months ago..

10 minutes ago, plissken said:

Here is your post in it's entirety in case you misremember some more:

I don't like to quote myself but since you're asking: 

27 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

How about getting back on topic.?