IGNORED

ASR Audio Science Review forum YouTube Channel

asdf1000

2 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Sensible approach?

Ok, it is, to some degree at least.

I will not commit seppuku although Yukio Mishima used to be an interesting guy to me, but I must admit some things.

First of all, being an audio dealer I used to be in a quite privileged situation as for the access to the audio gear, possibilities of testing it in comfortable situation etc. I actually used to say that in fact an average customer is in quite hopeless situation - with press which is often but not always corrupt, with dealers often more interested in selling one gear than the other cause they have eg a 3% higher margin on it, with limited possibilities of comfortable comparative listening sessions in a shop and last but not least with audio fora 'experts', the ones who just got their second amp and it is better than their previous one and the one they compared it to before decision, so their knowledge of amplifiers based on 3 amps is broad as the sky, you know what I mean..

Secondly I mostly attacked ASR, not you and I hope we are not deadly enemies (I have no life insurance)..:)

BTW I've just realized (I almost didn't visit the ASR site earlier) that whilst Amir listens to the speakers which he reviews, he doesn't listen to eg amps and DACs which may definitely be a confirmation of my old theory that I shared here years ago when sharing such theories could result in becoming an object of (nomen omen) objectivist lynch here (luckily those times are over and I've survived somehow;)).. 

The theory is simple - the extreme objectivists who rely solely on measurements and numbers do so, because they have no choice - they simply can't hear a damn thing. Since it is not possible to measure the differences between cables they all must sound the same. In case of speakers or headphones the differences in SQ are too obvious not to notice them, hence Amir listens to speakers and doesn't care about the remaining gear - the measurements tell him if it's good or not. Very simple!

The whole thing most probably has to do with the problem of male inches which I mentioned earlier - after all what was the first important audio measurement..? The power of course! Like I also said earlier the luck of trust in one's organ, in this case, ears is also involved ;)

BTW as for hearing of the subtle differences between audio components - IME this ability can be trained, I would say that probably 20% of it is predisposed and 80% can be gained by training. I IMO at least started at a quite low point in this regard, hence to this point of sdolezalek's post which IMO makes lots of sense:

1 hour ago, sdolezalek said:

3) Which leads me to the conclusion that to make intelligent choices I must:

a) pay attention to available measurements, but take them with a grain of salt;

b) pay attention to what others (whose opinions I value, and a few who I may disagree with but who have expertise) like and dislike and WHY;

c) listen to as many different components and systems as possible and try to make my own judgements;

d) recognize that just like with wines (what I like as a novice is highly likely to change as my learning/listening improves) 

I would add, rely on more experienced listeners as for what can be heard in music material and train your hearing.

Have a good evening! Cheers!

On 2/25/2021 at 4:31 PM, plissken said:

Anyone could shut up the entire objective bent of ASR if they would only sit down for a true blind session of say two DAC's that measure incredibly close but spend $$ incredibly far apart. Same thing for speaker, line, power cables that supposedly make a difference but the measurement data doesn't support the supposition.

That would remove any leg that Amir has to stand on.

People have done that. Marv at SBAF went to great length to do blind tests. They were posted at ASR and dismissed. Same with Schiit, which has used blind tests to evaluate products. The Schiit representative on ASR discussed that, and those tests were dismissed. 

It’s essentially become a tautological, no-true-Scotsman thing at ASR. If someone hears a difference, they must’ve done the test wrong. If someone doesn’t hear a difference, they must’ve done the test right. 

The problem is that confirmation bias runs both ways. If one expects there’s no difference between two pieces of equipment, it’s essentially impossible for them to fail to say “I hear no difference.”

On 2/25/2021 at 4:21 PM, plissken said:

He's repeatedly said he's not out to subjectively evaluate DAC's.

I'll drop another truth bomb for everyone here. He's doing something right and I believe this is just the tip of the ice burg. Throw in the social media platforms that he's going to start engaging. And here's another take away: $0 advertising dollars.

ASR

image.png.7e31f060c0a09eff99ea0a6379008ad0.png

AS

image.png.dc55cfe3e762e765305a8582449fbc63.png

ASR Metrics:

image.png.8a4a4a34d7a450d46596a6c35b6f468e.png

AS

image.png.c58d6e3dfbe43ac49d3d2c4b72f88bf2.png

Here’s the thing about ASR, at least in my view: 

Amir is providing something both financially and psychologically valuable to his donors and fans. He’s saving them money by telling them that one can get literally the best setup “scientifically possible” for a few hundred dollars. He’s also telling them that they should feel superior to “audiophools” paying more than that. 

Putting aside suspicions about his relationship with certain manufacturers (and the undeniable fact that he’s a dealer for others), I’m sure Amir figured out early that dunking on Schiit and other “HiFi” brands, while praising Topping and other cheap(er) brands brought him lots of clicks, donations, and clout. This has become a self-reinforcing cycle. 

Initially, I felt that this was unfortunate, in that lots of people were missing out on the chance of hearing better gear. But at least they weren’t wasting big bucks on Amir’s “recommended” gear. However, now Topping is putting out >$500 products, as well as ones that are blowing up people’s headphones (and possibly blowing out their ears). We’re now at a whole other level of damage to the hobby, IMHO. 

The frustrating part is that there are plenty of quality products out there that don’t cost an arm and a leg. They’re just usually not the ones that catch on at ASR.

Exactly. I am a lower tier person and I admit it. But, I enjoy listening to everything and all levels of equipment but I can tell you when something is off. Measurements, hearing IN YOUR ROOM, etc. all need to be done.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

2 hours ago, JoshM said:

If ASR were simply measurements of gear with no commentary, it would be less of an issue. (Though, as has been well-documented, his measurements are not always accurate.) Unfortunately, the site is more about Amir's idiosyncratic viewpoints, as with his defense of MQA, than "science."

Amir started ASR to run the site he wanted to run without the baggage he had in a business partner at WBF. Early in the thread I posted traffic data and it appears that its working. He's been around less time and done more with a non-vendor sponsored site.

Amir isn't perfect, but for some things as they stand right now, he's the best we got.

Chris picked up an AP analyzer and started the objectify forum and I thought we were going to have some of what Amir is doing here. I'd still like to see it happen.

I think a product can be made to measure and sound differently and that difference marketed. I've had tubed gear before and I understand what people are after regard to that 'tube' sound. That may be what people are liking about R2R, Multibit, Tube-pre, Tube-amp or other. I've no issue with that. I'm sure if Schiit made a 'clean' yggy there is subset of customers that would be upset.

17 minutes ago, JoshM said:

I don’t think Amir’s getting banned from a forum he co-founded is a ringing endorsement of his acumen. (Nor, frankly, are the products Microsoft put out when he was in charge of audio there.)

As I said earlier, ASR presents a worldview that says both that you can have world-class sound for a few hundred bucks and that you’re much smarter than “audiophools” who pay more. I have no doubt that such a message is bound to make one popular. It saves people money and strokes their egos. But popularity doesn’t equal correctness. Lots of dogmatic faiths gain fervent adherents. Even when I generally agree with a certain view, I get turned off when it’s presented too condescendingly or overconfidently. For example, I’m an agnostic, but I get really annoyed by the atheists who spend all of their time portraying religious people as rubes. 

Likewise, I think measurements are tremendously valuable. They’re just not the be-all-end-all that ASR makes them out to be. I’d support @The Computer Audiophile getting into measurements, and I think he’d do a much better job than Amir does. However, I can understand why he might not want to do that. It’s not the measurements that make ASR popular, it’s the ideology that they’re wrapped in. After all, other people out there do much more detailed measurements than Amir does (AtomicBob comes to mind), but they’re far less popular than ASR is because they’re more nuanced in how they present them. 

I've been to the ASR website on various occasions. It is what it is.  It seems like you are taking this way too personal, like you are holding a grudge.  Did Amir commit some wrong against you?  Were you taken aback by the assessment of the Schiit Yggdrasil, etc.?

mQa is dead!

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

One bit of humor for the day is that Alan March (March Audio in Australia, who puts Khadas Tone Boards and Purifi Audio class D amps into Chinese chassis) got banned from ASR--and he claims it was because he felt Amir's speaker reviews were too subjective!  So then he signs up under another name to start a thread to debate/berate the moderator over the ban: https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/please-explain.20848/

I admit to taking slight glee in this as Alan was frequently incredibly nasty--and personal--in his comments towards John and I, which the "moderators" there never batted an eye at. Karma... :P

Also one of the guys who made me stop going to ASR.

Not that I feel that the site would have much to offer for me, and the stuff I could give to the forum wasn't welcome either.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 2/27/2021 at 4:12 PM, PeterSt said:

If you put up such a test then you'd be doing the very same as Amir. You may like his methods, but I blatantly disagree. Amir laughs his ass out over the back of Alex Crespi, and all contestants will laugh their asses out over the customers who'd also may score a 10/10 in their homes. They (Lush users) will of course join too (I won't) and they all will score 5/5. And Paul is laughing and laughing and laughing because finally he is right.

After changing the goal posts.

It doesn't work like that.

This reminds me of Toole’s proposed theory that listening to speakers in mono is more discriminating because the rating differences were larger than when the assessment of the same three speakers was performed in stereo.

What seems to have happened is that the listening panel was coached to prefer wide dispersion and rated this type of speaker higher when in mono because it produced increased envelopment than narrow dispersion models.

This is called science.

8NEklhC_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

20 hours ago, danadam said:

IIRC it was told on several occasions already, that he tests what people send him, so I'm not sure what is so odd about it. I'm sure that if you send him all those things, he will gladly pick on them too 🙂

If UpTone sales increased because of representation at ASR I would think @superdad would send them their entire lineup, no?

I’ve never been on the ASR Forum before so I thought I’d have a small peak!  

mmmm....not sure I’ll be going there again! 

This post is in reference to the Taiko Extreme...so many opinions rather than say I’ve heard it and I think X! 

I think users here need to understand how good this forum is compared to some of the horse sxxt out there! Excuse my french! 

992DEEE3-0D78-4EB3-AE45-E0411D838AFA.jpeg