IGNORED

Afterdark Master Clock for Uptone EtherRegen

6 hours ago, ambre said:

And a distributor for 50 or 75 ohms with 4 outputs also Cybershaft

https://www.adark.co/collections/cybershaft/products/cybershaft-limited2-ocxo-10mhz-op14-op20

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

I currently running an Ether Regen with Uptone LPS 1.2 power supply that is fed with SMPS "brick". Can I use the After Dark power supply in place of the SMPS "brick"? Would there be any advantage to doing this? I have an After Dark Queen re-clocker on order, so I would like to run both off of the same power supply. Thank you . 

Hello @AfterDark ,

I currently run a Mutec mc3 +usb which has the 75 ohm inputs.   I believe the Mutec handles both square and sine waves.   Others may confirm this fact or fiction.

From your Master Clock range of Units, which ones are the most suitable to use with Mutec using the 75 ohm BNC.   

Also which Unit is most suitable for the Mutec re the Square vs Sine wave issue.

I am interested in the Emperor Double Crown with the Afterdark LPS unit.

Regards Cazzesman. 

53 minutes ago, DSK6 said:

I really can’t see how replacing the EtherREGEN’s SMPS with a good LPS could improve things further … but … 

Yes you can easily  go for a Farad Super3 9v👀

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

14 hours ago, ambre said:

Yes you can easily  go for a Farad Super3 9v👀

@ambre Stop it ... stop it ... stop it ... I must resist ... I must resist ... I must resist ...

The Uptone website suggests 7V/1.4A, 9V/1.0A, 12V/0.8A  ... if I don't intend sharing it with another device, is there any difference in performance?

PS. Sorry for sounding like a fanboy but I really was caught off guard by the scope and scale of improvement brought by the addition of the EtherREGEN and AfterDark clock/LPS. I'm in no way affiliated with either company apart from being a very happy customer.

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@DSK6

You need two new power supplies from Uptone. (LPS-1.2).
One for the clock and the other for the EtherRegen 😅

I'm going to respectively disagree here. The Etheregen doesn't care, the clock may not either since it has very stable supply inside.

The issue is how will that supply affect the rest of the system as far as conducted emissions (noise) is concerned. More power supplies create more noise, it's fact. The less of them the better.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 hours ago, Nikko1960 said:

I took delivery of the AfterDark Reference OCXO clock for EtherRegen  - the Queen 75ohm square wave version with additional discount for folks from this forum and a free clock cable.  I also bought the AfterDark Black Modernize LPS to power it.

I am only 6 hours after powering it up but... wow!

If you are on the fence on this item, get off now and buy one.  Don't do what I did - get the expensive version.  This is a superb addition to my system - not a subtle improvement at all.

Thanks Adrian, and I wish I had listened to your first suggestion (buy the Emperor).

It is good idea to go with higher model right away. I made the same mistake and bought Queen 75 ohm EtherRegen version.

I ‘m using farad super 3 with level 2 silver to power it and I have it on for the last 25 days. It improved SQ up to the point, that just few days after I received it I ordered 75 ohm Emperor Eva for which I am waiting now.

Another huge improvement was changing bnc cable.

Another when I put it on audio shelf, then on stillpoint ultra 6 and I weighted it down with HRS dpx05545 (around 3 lbs).

8 hours ago, SethARider said:

It is good idea to go with higher model right away. I made the same mistake and bought Queen 75 ohm EtherRegen version.

I ‘m using farad super 3 with level 2 silver to power it and I have it on for the last 25 days. It improved SQ up to the point, that just few days after I received it I ordered 75 ohm Emperor Eva for which I am waiting now.

Another huge improvement was changing bnc cable.

Another when I put it on audio shelf, then on stillpoint ultra 6 and I weighted it down with HRS dpx05545 (around 3 lbs).

Hi, to wich BNC cable did you change?

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

@LEO SOUND

I think such a clock is better if it’s bought as it’s native 50 ohm. Fiddle with it, may not be beneficial. (Which is what must be done). These clocks isn’t a high end design.  Also available adapters and filters is 50 ohm. And so is some of the best cables. There may be other products coming that standardize on 50 ohm. 50 ohm may raise the second hand value. 

As pr. John’s paper, the impedance doesn’t matter when it’s sine wave. The 75 ohm filter is soon sold out, and may not be available any more.

“Lead Time: CURRENT LEAD-TIME 1-3 WEEKS BASED ON LOW STOCK, IF OUT OF STOCK AT TIME OF ORDER LEAD-TIME 4-12 WEEKS
There is a 700.00 minimum per non-catalog model with the exception that the minimum is waived if the units are in stock and there is no date code requirement.”

To my knowledge: All current phase noise numbers is based on 50 ohm. 

If Adrian totally modifies the design in to a selectable (done properly) version of his single output clock, that may be a solution. Also lower voltage requirements may be beneficial, as some good or reasonable priced LPS is in range 5 to 9 volts. 

Here is some clocks I think is in use. 

https://www.microsemi.com/product-directory/high-reliability-rugged-oscillators/4847-ocxo 

Maybe a updated (universal) design where you could trade in a clock board is a possible way to further develop these clocks. 

I think we soon will have all digital signals by fiber. This includes clocks. There may also come technologies that will replace OCXO, but probably not this decade, even I think (know) the technology exist. 

Maybe some future products will have extremely good clocks built in.

We don’t know if these clocks will survive this decade, or even next 5 years. 

1 hour ago, JonD said:

Now the Bartok was good before the EtherREGEN, but the improvement is very nice to have and its one of those that once you hear it, you don't want to go back.

Next step will be to test with/without the Giesemann in the setup. This will determine how much the external clock adds to the EtherREGEN. More to come.

Very interested in your next step! I don't have a Bartok but more or less the same network bridging technology before my DAC: a dCS Network Bridge.

I personally didn't experience an improvement by adding an external clock (Mutec REF-10) to the EtherREGEN but the owner of the REF-10 does. In his system he has the ER directly connected to the ethernet input of his Lyngdorf amp.

The dCS NB does buffer and reclock the input signal (as does the Bartok?) itself. I think this is why. But... adding the ER before it did make a noticeable difference as did an opticalModule before the ER (to a lesser degree).

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

@skatbelt I did make sure I totally powered down the Bartok when i was changing the network setup; trying to ensure nothing stored is just being reused, since i was using one track to test for differences.

I just finished testing the setup with the EtherREGEN and then with and without the Giesemann EVA; and it does add some additional depth, vibrancy etc to the music; an improvement. I would say the EtherREGEN is delivering at least 70+% of the uplift and then the clock adds a little more; say 20-30%. On paper the Giesemann EVA is a higher spec than the standard REF10, but I am no expert, so don't know how the two compare in back to back tests.

Now to caveat, I am using a really cheap LPSU with my Giesemann EVA clock for now; the TeraDak is known to be towards the bottom of LPSUs in terms of performance. I would order another Farad Super3; however, I have already paid for a Sean Jacobs SR5T that will arrive towards the end of May. So I do expect that to make a difference. The SR5T was going to be used with a Melco N100; but I am not decided about that just yet. In any case, if i do go for the N100, I would get another Farad Super3 for the Giesemann EVA.

10 minutes ago, JonD said:

@skatbelt I did make sure I totally powered down the Bartok when i was changing the network setup; trying to ensure nothing stored is just being reused, since i was using one track to test for differences.

I just finished testing the setup with the EtherREGEN and then with and without the Giesemann EVA; and it does add some additional depth, vibrancy etc to the music; an improvement. I would say the EtherREGEN is delivering at least 70+% of the uplift and then the clock adds a little more; say 20-30%. On paper the Giesemann EVA is a higher spec than the standard REF10, but I am no expert, so don't know how the two compare in back to back tests.

Now to caveat, I am using a really cheap LPSU with my Giesemann EVA clock for now; the TeraDak is known to be towards the bottom of LPSUs in terms of performance. I would order another Farad Super3; however, I have already paid for a Sean Jacobs SR5T that will arrive towards the end of May. So I do expect that to make a difference. The SR5T was going to be used with a Melco N100; but I am not decided about that just yet. In any case, if i do go for the N100, I would get another Farad Super3 for the Giesemann EVA.

I studied your diagram again and now see that you have copper in on the EtherREGEN. So our setup's differ.

I wouldn't say 20-30% but going from copper to fiber/OpticalModule was certainly noticeable. I have ER and oM on high quality LPS's.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

8 hours ago, LEO SOUND said:

@AfterDark.

Can you confirm to me that the master Clock Emperor Triple crown is in stock in a 75 ohm version and it is a sine wave. It is necessary to add a mini filter circuit for 75 ohm suddenly.

There is no need for an adapter too?

Hello! LEO SOUND,

Thanks for your interested. The master Clock Emperor Triple Crown in 75 ohm require to made to order in limited supply every month. This version is in sine wave.

The mini filter is designed to work with sine wave Giesemann, connect directly to EtherREGEN or Mutec MC3-USB. This filter is quite amazing tweak, which can improve the vocal and details. 

Have a nice day. 

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

On 4/14/2021 at 5:35 AM, JonD said:

Hi! JonD,

Thanks for your good feedback. Please let the Giesemann EVA burn in for 7 days, the music will make you smile. The vocal will be so sweet and soundstage will be much wider. 

The specification on Giesemann EVA (-121dBC/Hz) is much higher then REF10 is around (-116dBC/Hz) on Phase Noise. 

The Allan Derivation is amazing low at 1s = 2.277 (measure of short term 1 second frequency stability) 

The Phase Noise is reaching limit to the highest level at -121dBC/Hz 

The power supply on Farad Super3 can improve the performance on your Giesemann Clock. 

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

image.thumb.png.f46fe87c7e21e6817a8e04a607f6197e.png

image.thumb.png.8051525372877de0a87b9a27a580d5f7.png

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

6 hours ago, AfterDark. said:

Please let the Giesemann EVA burn in for 7 days, the music will make you smile. The vocal will be so sweet and soundstage will be much wider. 

Yes I waited for over a week once I had the Giesemann before attempting any kind of comparison. 👍