IGNORED

Afterdark Master Clock for Uptone EtherRegen

Apologies for asking a question, the answer to which has been so thoroughly discussed that I'm sure this post will cause much rolling of eyes.   And believe me, I have have scanned the entirety of this topic to gauge an answer, but I'm still a little confused.

I have an EtherREGEN, my budget limits me to the Queen.  Should I get the Square or the Sine?

1 minute ago, richard_crl032 said:

It is all in John's white paper somewhere here.

Use a sine version with filter and do not have to worry of cable quality.

Get square version IF you believe well done by clock mfgr since native clock is in sine format but do consider a better quality.

Yes, ER works better with square.

Hope I remember correctly and this helps.

Cheers.

Thanks Richard.  I had also read that - should have mentioned - sorry.  

I think, more specifically, I'm asking:  is the consensus that AfterDark's Square Queen better for the ER than their Sine Queen?

48 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

Thanks Richard.  I had also read that - should have mentioned - sorry.  

I think, more specifically, I'm asking:  is the consensus that AfterDark's Square Queen better for the ER than their Sine Queen?

My pleasure ...

Hmmh .. indeed dun think I read of anyone who tried same Afterdark models of both sine and square versions to compared and shared.

I have the sine version of double crown emperor and using it without filter since I dun have it with the ER but did tried the MIC clock with both sine and square outputs to find no difference.

Cheers.

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

2 minutes ago, Iving said:

@GoodEnough @richard_crl032

I recall these conversations in real time back when.

Yes it boiled down to sine + that filter thingy or square - if you were confident in "squareness" of clock wave.

A Mutec Ref 10 (known quality square) was too expensive to make sense for me at the time - given £ balance of my system + affordability - and I bought an AfterDark Triple Emperor Double Crown 75Ω Square Wave. This clocks both eR and my Mutec MC3+ USB as Re-Clocker and WC (see my Profile for system if interest).

iirc I was in a minority going for Square at the time.

But I had no reservations then and I have none now. No measurements. But my ears have been happy through several system iterations / improvements. The better of these included fiber input to eR (but see my use) and a good power supply on the eR.

fwiw :-)

Thanks for that @Iving

Likewise, benefits have been experienced by adding fiber before the eR, and then adding Finisar SFPs.  I even have an £80 Phoenix Contact glass fiber cable on order.   I'll probably end up with an AD clock, and a decent LPS for the eR, and then I'll be done  (but I've said that before).

• 9 months later...

Hello All,

I recently purchased a Lynghdorf TDAI-3400 Loaded.  I started looking at the Mutec products as a way to improve the performance of the unit. During my search I also found the Etheregen which seems to be well regarded. The TDAI-3400 has a streamer built it. I am not currently using the built in function. I know it is not the best solution but I am using a Wiim PRO as a lot of my current lists are on Amazon music and the internal streamer does not support Amazon music. The Wiim feeds the Lynghdorf via digital coax. I plan to utilize the internal streamer via ethernet in the near future. 

I am using a Wifi router from Spectrum. Currently all of the ethernet ports are being used for Apple TV, security cameras and security system. Would the Etheregen be a good place to start? I looks like it has one main output that would run the Lynghdorf and other ports on the opposite side that could be used for secondary devices, is that correct? I also have an older Aurender N100 which probably is not relevant any longer with the new equipment. it has USB output only.

If  the Ethergen is a good starting upgrade path, what is recommended for power supply and cables? I also noticed that After Dark offers a heat sink for the Ethergen. Is this recommended secondary to severe heat?

Thanks,

J

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 7:31 AM, GoodEnough said:

Thanks for that @Iving

Likewise, benefits have been experienced by adding fiber before the eR, and then adding Finisar SFPs.  I even have an £80 Phoenix Contact glass fiber cable on order.   I'll probably end up with an AD clock, and a decent LPS for the eR, and then I'll be done  (but I've said that before).

Hi GoodEnough,

Why Phoenix Contact fiber cable is so expensive compare to others?

Thanks,

Tuoc

• 2 months later...

We just find a very postive feedback from the community of roonlabs. Very happy to share the happyiness for all Audiophiles.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/etherregen-with-an-afterdark-ocxo-clock-wow/161630

Puchase link for Giesemann Clock - Queen - Square Wave EtherREGEN SE edition.

image.thumb.png.3712d27b93d8dac19031cdda7a3ed654.png

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA