IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

6 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Did you open it ?

To look inside?  I confess that I was in too much of a hurry to get it hooked up.  Now that I've listened to it, I'm even more reluctant to disconnect it for any reason!

Also, I would honour Adrian's wishes not to publish internal photos.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu Deluxe streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. Uptone JS-2 PSUs x 2.  PS Audio P3 & P12 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

4 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

He hasn’t asked that.  Actually people should know what they’re buying. 

You will be surprised what’s inside 😀

Actually, I doubt it.  More to the point, though, having heard what it does I really don't care what's inside.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu Deluxe streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. Uptone JS-2 PSUs x 2.  PS Audio P3 & P12 regenerators.

Possibly why Martin's is producing some good results could be his is using an after-market PSU?

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

3 minutes ago, Clockmeister said:

Possibly why Martin's is producing some good results could be his is using an after-market PSU?

Important to remember when budgeting for a clock.  An SMPS does not reveal the potential of the clock.  I tend to think of my clock/LPS as one piece of gear.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

42 minutes ago, PYP said:

Important to remember when budgeting for a clock.  An SMPS does not reveal the potential of the clock.  I tend to think of my clock/LPS as one piece of gear.  

Hello Philip

I would not disagree here, also you have to take into account the previous performance of the previous clock you were using, (which also used that PSU) so if all things are equal  (cabling and power) then the upgrade must come from the clock logic would dictate.

Remember being mildly disappointed with the CS Op21A, however a quality power supply fixed that, no matter how many LT3045 you use in parallel the INCOMING rail noise and circuit board layout it still the key imho

I could site one very famous high end manufacturer who uses banks of 2.5Vdc super capacitors in parallel to achieve the desired 12Vdc output hummmmmmmmmmmmm possibly not the way for a few of us!

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

On 2/27/2021 at 1:04 PM, MartinT said:

Thank you for comparing the BG7 with the Afterdark Giesemann.  I am sufficiently intrigued that I will make contact later in the year.  Right now, though, I have blown my hi-fi savings on the last of the Coherent power cables and am enjoying my system very much.

Regards

Martin

@MartinT looks like the itch was to strong on you 😀

Enjoy the new addition 

5 minutes ago, GMG said:

@MartinT looks like the itch was to strong on you 😀

Enjoy the new addition 

Yes, it was. Not very expensive, though, in the context of my system.

11 hours ago, Clockmeister said:

From looking at the chaps posting on here with the equipment in the signature they are a couple with top quality sounding clock cables I have listened to, most of you will not wish to go to that level. However using something similar to above which will cost around between £75 and £125 will sound damn good for your applications more so than most up to £600 mark imho.

Would you be willing to mention the brands of terminated cables in that price bracket?   

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

12 hours ago, R1200CL said:

He hasn’t asked that.  Actually people should know what they’re buying. 

You will be surprised what’s inside 😀

Very. 

Have you received your Afterdark Clock?

Why must we be surprised from the inside? please specify for the AS community

Without having opened it, the case is very light. it does not heat up, as if besides it was not lit (besides no indicator light on the box) but Afterdark specified that the clock was optimized
I trust Afterdark for failing to look at what's inside and I'm not sure I actually understand what's inside

18 hours ago, Clockmeister said:

From looking at the chaps posting on here with the equipment in the signature they are a couple with top quality sounding clock cables I have listened to, most of you will not wish to go to that level. However using something similar to above which will cost around between £75 and £125 will sound damn good for your applications more so than most up to £600 mark imho.

Have you had any experience of the Habst Digital?  At one time it seemed to be the subjectively preferred cable of choice over in the "novel" thread.  (It is most definitely in the "less affordable" category though)

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

32 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I like to see others post their measurements from AfterDark. Mine attached. 

I can scan and post mine when I get home.

58 minutes ago, Clockmeister said:

Hello Philip

We use an awful lot of clock cables in the studio, well over 100, we have tried many different brands over the years, including some exotic 'samples' certain brands gave a more etch sound high lighting leading definition, other were homogenized. 

Some really excelled at spatial information and instrument placement.

All I can say is that certain well know branded cables use cables form other manufacturers with their own connectors, these are easily distinguishable as coming form a particular cable originator despite having different 'brands' stamped on them.

Interesting our top lab cables (which do cost almost as much as silly high end cables) measure superbly as in image one of my previous posts yet sound good but not nearly as good as the one on the last image which is obviously 'not as good' looking a square wave form.

Which one could you live with, depends on what you are wishing to achieve, if you are looking for a musical, fluid articulate and natural flowing presentation with a  noise floor below human hearing (providing your supporting equipment can match this of get close to the threshold of human hearing in terms of signal to noise ratio of 128dB) then you are looking at spending more. 

For the vast majority of listeners then the cable I suggested will do a damn fine job for a very sensible outlay.

What I can say cable wise (and we do not retail these cables either) is the Shunyata is one of the better cables  I have listened to. If you have the system and the speakers resolution then one of the top cables I have listened to is the absolute dream BNC. However it purchase cost outweighs may complete systems so it is excluded from this conversation.

I would also like to point out cables are very, very system dependent, cables should be used to compliment your systems attributes, not as a sticking plastic o cover over or smother an inherent issue.

Just remember what your clock is actually doing in your system, it is supplying an independent reference signal to slave/time all of your associated digital replay system.

So in an idea world you would have zero compromises in the clock transmission line, so impedance matching from the start of the circuit to the destination of it or as close to no compromise as humanly possible, so zero adapters, impedance converters, splitters or non cables of the same stable. Just some observations I have made over the years. 

interesting, but for me it just iterates John’s statement in his white paper that life is simpler with a sine wave clock, with which the cable is far less of a factor compared to a square wave

49 minutes ago, GMG said:

interesting, but for me it just iterates John’s statement in his white paper that life is simpler with a sine wave clock, with which the cable is far less of a factor compared to a square wave

Just to add context by way of conclusion of the white paper:

image.png.3f6462b1d731c17914fa61dbefee063c.png

I read this to mean that Sine with Filter is a (theoretical) hedge for those uncertain of the properties and credentials of their equipment.

Sticking my neck out a little, I also guess that the ER likes Square - and that if you can get a compatible (not necessarily oscilloscope-perfect) Square input you are better off than with Sine +/or Filter (in which case cables matter as presently discussed - and for all I know are not completely "agnostic" wrt Sine).

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I don't believe that the fat lady has yet begun regards listening experiences with the Filter. I may have missed something.