IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

On 4/10/2021 at 1:34 AM, JohnSwenson said:

but there is no way you can use this to measure phase noise even close to the levels we are talking about here.

What would it take ?

Any of these ?

https://www.electronicproducts.com/top-7-usb-oscilloscopes-for-makers-and-pros/#

I guess USB versions is the way to go ?
https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/test-methods/oscilloscope/usb-pc-based-oscilloscope.php

I like this one. WiFi directly to iPad. 😀

https://www.amazon.com/Hantek-IDSO1070A-Oscilloscope-Programmable-Generator/dp/B07GWMCHS8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Hantek+IDS1070A&qid=1618142583&sr=8-1#productDetails

On 4/9/2021 at 2:55 AM, manueljenkin said:

There's also this lecture series that I have been going through, is fantastic: 

I’ve saw this 1.5 hour video. Not sure, but it seems to be a limitation to how good phase noise you need, before the internal noise of various components is added.

Would be interesting to know if there actually is a phase noise number to be considered as sufficient ?

I guess a question almost impossible to answer.

Keep in mind that it has been said, using a clock in a B>A setup, shouldn’t be expected to work (have an improvement). Or at least not as good as A>B. This because of internal noise added by the isolator. I don’t know if a isolator even has phase noise numbers. 

12 hours ago, MartinT said:

I can only speak for myself, but the addition of the Mini-Circuits filter to sinewave clock into my Mutec was not subtle. 

Hallo Martin,

Fully agree the addition of the Mini Circuit filter can be heard immediately and with such an ease that “ subtile” isn’t a correct description at all.

After playing now for two days my brains tell me that’s even improved!😇🥰😇 

Another tip: add  upfront ER additional switches and you will be amazed  and rewarded again. 
Why and how I do not know ??? 
Very best regard, Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

5 hours ago, ambre said:

Hallo Martin,

Fully agree the addition of the Mini Circuit filter can be heard immediately and with such an ease that “ subtile” isn’t a correct description at all.

Another tip: add  upfront ER additional switches and you will be amazed  and rewarded again. 

Square or sine wave, the filter has became an essential add-on also for me. 👍

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

9 hours ago, ambre said:

Hallo Martin,

I assumed your clock had been unplugged to install this filter. Have you started a new initial burn in period?

the sine wave seems to be the solution with this filter.
We should not recommend a square wave because the latter is only for a sine wave.
However, the SQ increases in wave sine and this will no longer be the case with the square wave.

1 hour ago, MasterWarzombie said:

I assumed your clock had been unplugged to install this filter. Have you started a new initial burn in period?

the sine wave seems to be the solution with this filter.
We should not recommend a square wave because the latter is only for a sine wave.
However, the SQ increases in wave sine and this will no longer be the case with the square wave.

1) No changed on the fly.

@AfterDark.

2) John Swenson statement “ 

That is exactly what it is supposed to do. The purpose of that filter is to get rid of everything above the fundamental. The reason I mentioned it was to use with a sine wave which is much more susceptible to AM noise, either from the clock itself or picked up in the cable. Most of that noise gets taken care of by the filter.If you already have a good square wave the filter is not appropriate. John S.

Do you have and very good cable too.....for instance the SOTM BNC with also a filter mounted ?

With square wave cable matters very much.You could also order the 75 Ohm of Afterdark much cheaper than Sotm. If you have a 50 Ohm Cybershaft or Afterdark....... my advice is to use the special Afterdark cable Huhner &co very good compared with above brand and is approx. 1/10 of selling price. 

@AfterDark.

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

Just now, R1200CL said:

That’s impossible ? 
EtherRegen must have the external clock available during startup, or it will fail, right ?

Of course power down EtherRegen . But power clock maintains and add filter to already existing 

Cybershaft 50=>75 ohm converter. Have now EtherRegen on its site with connectors supported to cabinet floor also due to heavy SOTM Cat 7 with filter.

37 minutes ago, ambre said:

Do you have and very good cable too.....for instance the SOTM BNC with also a filter mounted ?

With square wave cable matters very much.You could also order the 75 Ohm of Afterdark much cheaper than Sotm. If you have a 50 Ohm Cybershaft or Afterdark....... my advice is to use the special Afterdark cable Huhner &co very good compared with above brand and is approx. 1/10 of selling price. 

@AfterDark.

You're endorsing their 75 ohm cable, but do you happen to know its attenuation? According to John, that's the most important measurement for a good ref clock cable. The fact their website lacks that information makes me wonder. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

2 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

You're endorsing their 75 ohm cable, but do you happen to know its attenuation? According to John, that's the most important measurement for a good ref clock cable. The fact their website lacks that information makes me wonder. 

Who Afterdark if so ask Adrian.@Afterdark 

If you mean Sotm they make a very good Master Clock with SIN WAVE too. And there cables bnc are filtered maybe they have a similar approach as the Mini Circuit ??

4 hours ago, MasterWarzombie said:

I’ve got two clock, one sine (AfterDark EG) and the BTP. In both cases the filter improved SQ. 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

One question ,

does anyone has tried this filter on the Chinese clock with square wave output .
Since the square signal is so bad on these clocks may be the filter can still be an improvement .

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

On 4/8/2021 at 8:06 PM, MartinT said:

Look what I've received...

spacer.png

Hi Martin, where have you purcahsed this one? seems non-catalog item at minicircuits

Emm Labs NS1, Emm Labs DV2, Trusov AMP ( AB class 400 watt into 8 ohm), Vandersteen 5a Carbon, Dyrholm Vision series cables XLR and power cords, meitner speaker cables,  etheregen, 2* Farad super3 with purple SR fuses, AfterDark double Crown, RAL RJ45

5 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

Just a recap regarding clock cables:

—Really low attenuation across a broadband is most important only for square wave clocks; does not matter for sine wave clocks. And impedance matching matters.

—Really great shielding—with a semi-rigid tube being best—is most all that matters for a sine wave clock; and not even very much if the filter is used at the target device end.

And impedance matching does not matter with sine wave clocks. 

:D

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

They obviously is sold out 😀

This one arrived an hour ago. Using the Cybershaft version now. 

A14C9627-0CBF-45DE-BACA-FDA1D511D71D.jpeg

DC75B1BA-9F25-4C44-B25D-0D0D1C5B7265.jpeg

You mean Crystek?