IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

Hi,

I have two 75 ohm ERs. It seems if adding an external clock the 50 ohm version is better as sine wave is much less quirky when it comes to cables. 

is there anyway to convert a 75 ohm ER to a 50 ohm version? 

I have purchased a Bg7tbl clock. The one marketed for the EtherREGEN. It has 3 outputs. How does one tell if all three outputs are sine or square wave? I also assume that mine if 75ohm because I didn’t specify 50ohm at purchase. 

I’m interested in purchasing an AfterDark clock. But which one? There are a bunch ranked better than the Queen. But how much better? I’m not afraid of spending more than the queen but it’s difficult to tell how much better an emperor is than a queen or why? 

If my 75ohm EtherREGEN can’t be converted to 50ohm is it worth selling one of my 75 ohm EtherREGENs and purchase a 50 ohm? Or horror of horrors order a new EtherREGEN at 50 ohms and keep my two 75 ohm EtherREGENs already purchased and since two EtherREGENs was better than one, have a stack of three like many do with the Buffalos? 

And for Alex and John, why do multiple Ethernet switches equal better sound quality? I’m guessing the extra clock each unit has. But maybe there is some other mysterious part inside? 

if so build a Super EtherREGEN that contains multiple clocks? And for those using external clocks, would a chain of multiple external clocks even sound better? 

Hmm, if I purchase a 75 ohm AfterDark  Queen clock I could always try adding my Bg7tbl clock and cascade into the AfterDark Queen? (Or which ever one I purchase?)

I know lots of questions. And thanks in advance for anyone answering. Perhaps some topics will generate more debate. 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Sorry Alex, I read everything again after I posted. I understand now. 

Then I couldn’t edit out my errors as the site wouldn’t let me.  

My errors. 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

38 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

For the people who are discouraged by square wave, please remember:

A. A good square wave clock yields better results than a sine one.

B. Sourcing a quality 75 ohm cable is neither expensive nor difficult. E.g., Canare LV-77S.

Yeh, I’m unable to judge such ie a good sq wave clock pre-purchase,

so just following the Uptone take-away ... go with ‘safety bet’ sine + filter, & I can still use my Ghent 75ohm Belden 4694R + JSSG360, 30cm cable ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

42 minutes ago, sandston said:

I use the Apogee Wyde Eye cable which is highly rated and modestly priced. Have no fear this is no snake oil.

I believe that cable is actually a re-branded Canare LV-77S. That's a good thing :)

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

23 hours ago, sandston said:

Upgraded a couple weeks ago from the Cheap and Cheerful Chinese clock, 75ohm,  square wave to an After Dark Queen Square Wave ER edition. Both were not subtle upgrades. I use the Apogee Wyde Eye cable which is highly rated and modestly priced. Have no fear this is no snake oil. I'm going to refrain from all the audiophile superlatives here. They've all been used. I'm very impressed and very confused as to why this creates such an uplift but there's no going back for me.

FYI I'm running an Asus router into my Etherregen B-A side - optical cable - Opticalrendu - Dac. 

If anyone wants to get there feet wet here PM me and make me an offer on my Chinese clock. I'd love to pass this thing on and open someone else's ears

So does the Apogee wyde eye BNC cable sound better than the stock cable which comes with The Afterdark Giesemann Queen square wave clock for ER? I would just like to get the best reasonably priced cable for my own Giesemann Queen Square wave clock for ER, which I am currently expecting. 

If the Apogee Wyde eye is just a re-branded Canare LV-77S, where can I reliably purchase the best performing one among various versions of this particular cable, and what length of the cable would be ideal?

I liked the Apogee Wyde Eye too. To me, it was better than the Ghent Audio Belden. 

Someone lent me his Black Cat Tron bnc cable and for some reason, I didn't think much of it, or perhaps my system was not up to par to make the most of that high priced cable. 

However, have since changed all my bnc clock cables to custom VH Audio Pulsar Ag + Oyaide bnc plugs.

6 minutes ago, sahmen said:

So does the Apogee wyde eye BNC cable sound better than the stock cable which comes with The Afterdark Giesemann Queen square wave clock for ER? I would just like to get the best reasonably priced cable for my own Giesemann Queen Square wave clock for ER, which I am currently expecting. 

If the Apogee Wyde eye is just a re-branded Canare LV-77S, where can I reliably purchase the best performing one among various versions of this particular cable, and what length of the cable would be ideal?

Blue Jeans cable offers the LV-77S. 

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/shopbycable/LV77S.htm

You can choose the boot color. 

According to Mutec, the ideal cable length is up to 2 meters. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]

Surround

6 minutes ago, Roasty said:

However, have since changed all my bnc clock cables to custom VH Audio Pulsar Ag + Oyaide bnc plugs.

HD video cables usually have the lowest attenuation. However, most are solid core, which can pose difficulties in some installations. 

Stereo

Surround

i got two mini circuits from GB - one of them i connected to the ER - with great results - from the very beginning many more details and dynamics...thinking now about using the second one at the clock - does that make sense two on one cable?

I have another switch from PPang with a 25MHZ clock - thought about using a minicircuit with that one too - is that  doing any harm or will it give benefits also though 25MHZ - any idea - shouldn't harm the switch since only a filter....

any thoughta - knowledge about that...would appreciate your opinions/ experiences...

26 minutes ago, Mouna said:

I have another switch from PPang with a 25MHZ clock - thought about using a minicircuit with that one too - is that  doing any harm or will it give benefits also though 25MHZ - any idea - shouldn't harm the switch since only a filter....

You wouldn't be able to use the same BLP-10.7 filter on 25MHz - remember it's an 11MHz filter so the clock would be filtered down to unusable.

You could look through Mini-Circuits' catalogue to find a 26MHz filter.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

No I haven't, as I have two Minis and two reclockers (ER and Mutec).  In this configuration, using two sinewave outputs, it sounds really excellent.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

That's correct--because the filter will turn the square wave into a sine wave!

But if the square wave is crappy (say from a clock with poor sine>square converter) and your cable is just average, then using the filter on that square wave may yield better final results there as well.

BTW, Identifying a low-attenuation cable for a square wave is somewhat of a challenge.

Only Belden and Canare publish tables with figures. Furutech were kind enough to measure their entry level cable, but never returned to me with information about their high-end offerings (Incidentally, the figures for the FC-62 are below average compared to the aforementioned pro companies). One cable boutique just shrugged me off.

Out of the above, the Canare LV-77S features the lowest attenuation for a stranded core. However, both manufacturers catalogs solid-core products with considerably better performance.

Stereo

Surround