IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

• 1 month later...

Just wondered if anybody would know if I am getting any benefit from the OCK 2 on the  Spdif and Toslink inputs of the Bricasti M3 when it’s fed from the Ethernet output of the Etheregen. Probably a question for Bricasti bit just wondering if anybody had an idea. 

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

19 hours ago, russellbobby said:

Just wondered if anybody would know if I am getting any benefit from the OCK 2 on the  Spdif and Toslink inputs of the Bricasti M3 when it’s fed from the Ethernet output of the Etheregen. Probably a question for Bricasti bit just wondering if anybody had an idea. 

Probably not, but let's look at that logically:

a) If, like many other EtherREGEN>Bricasti owners, you are realizing SQ benefits from use of EtherREGEN to feed the Ethernet>I2S network input of your DAC;

AND 

b) If you find that the mechanisms of the EtherREGEN (signal integrity, blocking of leakage currents, etc.--ultimately reducing induced ground-plane noise on your DAC's main PCB) are somehow also of benefit when you are using the S/PDIF or Toslink input (which would mean that the power and ground plane isolation between their network input board and the rest of the DAC is not sufficient; doubtful). 

[This would be easy for you to test: Simply use the S/PDIF input while plugging and unplugging the LAN cable to your M3--and alternate that between coming from the EtherREGEN versus straight from elsewhere on your network--and see if you can hear a difference.]

Honestly--at least with the Bricasti--I would be very surprised if you did hear benefit to S/PDIF from use of EtherREGEN input.

But if you did...

THEN

c) Use of a good external reference clock fed to EtherREGEN would have benefit. To the EtherREGEN, and to the S/PDIF but to a much smaller extent than the clock has for when the DAC's network input is used.

All that said--and not knowing what S/PDIF source you are using--you could consider the very fine Mutec MC3+ (or MC3+USB) reclocker.

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php

It is an exceptional and versatile DDC that can be used in several ways, even simultaneously.  It will produce a terrific S/PDIF, AES, or Toslink output--from USB, S/PDIF, AES, or Toslink inputs.  It also can produce an exceptional WordClock output for DACs that have audio sample-rate-related WordClk input (not your Bricasti).

And regardless of usage mode, you can input a 10MHz external reference clock to the MC3+ to further elevate its performance.  Since you already have a clock with multiple outputs, it would be natural to make use of one of them to feed an MC3+. B|

Check it out!

On 2/14/2024 at 2:06 AM, russellbobby said:

If you’re looking for a good DCC with clock input, the Singxer SU-2 is a good option. 

On 2/17/2024 at 4:17 PM, antigrunge said:

Vibration isolation for the clock and Etherregen is paramount:

I agree, try also putting a heavy weight on both the EtherREGEN and clock.  This works in conjunction with the Black Ravioli feet to further improve isolation.  I also use the Mini Circuits BLP-10.7+ filters and Tubulus Concentus clock cables.  Finally, the Uptone JS-2 is a fantastic power supply for clocks.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net