IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

On 1/31/2021 at 10:32 AM, Darryl R said:

Hi Larry,

I was wondering about Bluetooth for mobile access.  But there is the distance limit, and my last few motherboards seemed to couple it with Ethernet, at least in the BIOS when I went to disable it after adding a fiber NIC.  For you hardware-smart guys that have a creative desire, homegrown gadgets are the ones that eventually become businesses.  Again, I keep thinking about that long interview with the owner and designer of Shunyata who said his hobby became his full-time job.  I'll look up USB OTG.

Yes, many small sized M.2 2230 form factor wifi cards carry Bluetooth radios that seem connect via a (Virtual?) USB controller. This is alongside a PCIE X1 connection to the wifi portion of the card. I have never tried bluetooth as a music signal carrier in a serious way, but will have a think about it. It could be a missed opportunity.

Curiously, these same M.2 2230 form factor pcie slots can hold a SDcard or micro SDcard which opens some interesting music storage possibilities, especially for smaller libraries with 512gb micro sdcards in the $60 to $70 range.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

20 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Yes, many small sized M.2 2230 form factor wifi cards carry Bluetooth radios that seem connect via a (Virtual?) USB controller. This is alongside a PCIE X1 connection to the wifi portion of the card. I have never tried bluetooth as a music signal carrier in a serious way, but will have a think about it. It could be a missed opportunity.

Curiously, these same M.2 2230 form factor pcie slots can hold a SDcard or micro SDcard which opens some interesting music storage possibilities, especially for smaller libraries with 512gb micro sdcards in the $60 to $70 range.

I was only thinking about it in terms playback commands from a remote device, that limited scenario I described above where music is local, USB to DAC.

1 hour ago, Darryl R said:

I was only thinking about it in terms playback commands from a remote device, that limited scenario I described above where music is local, USB to DAC.

that might be feasible, audio over BT is less likely due acc. to this :

https://habr.com/en/post/456182/

Big question is, is adding a BT dongle , likley via a USB port, to the audio PC doing more damage than using the network in a non continuous fashion?

I don't need USB as I'm using I2S for data to DAC, so I can shut all USB off after booting in the BIOS (makes an audible difference) and would like to be able to optionally switch off ethernet. That MIGHT be doable from within the OS/player software, occasionally streaming Qobuz/Tidal etc ethernet is needed, I wonder if adding BT would be worthwhile?

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

Sure, it's mentioned right here

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58164-building-a-diy-music-server/page/69/?tab=comments#comment-1104830

On 1/26/2021 at 1:08 AM, Nenon said:

I do expect that the people who follow this build would be able to get a copy of TAS at some point in the future. 

The plan is that Taiko would provide: chassis to passively cool the Asus SAGE, Taiko DC to DC ATX, and at some point a USB card and TAS. Of course Extreme owners get the VIP treatment, and we would have to wait for the technology to treacle down to us. 

Maybe they'll finally crack the code, though only time will tell

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-292#post-701507

The bottom line being, there is a future in sight where you do not have to worry about how you rip your CDs, or where your files are located, or whether you've copied them too often. We will however never be able to remediate differences in mastering techniques. Though perhaps by other means as here's a link to the first recording mastered using an Extreme! HELMET OF GNATS: TRAVELOGUE

I'm following that thread for quite a while now, it is a mystery to me how it would be feasible to improve files that have been corrupted in the past without altering them (f.e by using a checksum from a non existing global 'master' database or something to repair them)...as much as I am convinced that the Taiko team knows what they are doing and they are auditioning all they do I don't understand this one, not one bit.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

I'm following that thread for quite a while now, it is a mystery to me how it would be feasible to improve files that have been corrupted in the past without altering them (f.e by using a checksum from a non existing global 'master' database or something to repair them)...as much as I am convinced that the Taiko team knows what they are doing and they are auditioning all they do I don't understand this one, not one bit.

The answer is easy! Taiko have the drive & skills to deep dive down into the known unknown! 

3 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

The bottom line being, there is a future in sight where you do not have to worry about how you rip your CDs, or where your files are located, or whether you've copied them too often. We will however never be able to remediate differences in mastering techniques.

You may e right @Nenon ; My interpretation was based on this part, which is from WBF. It would definitely surprise me if they found the holy audio grail of fixing previously damaged files.

The implication of saying that they cannot remediate different mastering techniques and not having to worry about how we rip a CD or how many copies we make seems to go further than sound quality not being affected by which location you are playing your files from. I assume in reality it means; all of this applies ONCE their algorithm is implemented on your system but I did not read that anywhere, nor does it matter for now.

We'll see, it would be great if it holds true...taking a couple of worry zones out of the equation is good enough for me!

On 2/1/2021 at 2:28 PM, BCRich said:

So here is what I ended up with. It went downhill from there.

Block diagram attached....

Upon power up of Motherboard the Keces smoked and in troubleshooting I managed to smoke the HDPlex.

Conversations with Arthur Power (Keces Rep) and Larry (HDPlex) ensued. Arthur felt the Voltage Regulator on the Keces went bad as I got a 41v reading with a Volt Meter. The HDPlex 300w Power Supply showed normal voltage readings even though I heard a pop and there was smoke. I should be receiving another Keces shortly and surprisingly Larry found nothing wrong with either the 800watt dcatx or the 300 watt LPS. My plan is to just use one input on the dcatx and only the HDPlex. As much as I want to take advantage of both I/O’s of the dcatx I am afraid I will kill another Keces. Hopefully I can take thing up a notch down the road ie: Hynes or SJ. I know Gabriel had success with the Keces but he had two of them.

I can go with 2 but I am hesitant at this point. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Blank Diagram [1] Page 1.png

I had something similar happen with 2 mother boards, the first one shut down overnight and would not restart also the 12v on my PH sr7 stopped working not sure what the link was between the two events. The second time the MB just stopped working whilst playing.

I am using a HDplex 800w atx with my PHSR7 T dual rail (19v/10A,12v/12A) the PH voltages measure fine - the ATX 5v measures 5.27v which apparently is over what it should be. I am not leaving it on permanently - on the list for the Taiko atx.

Sound quality is excellent with the 19v to the atx and 12v to EPS.

3 hours ago, Nenon said:

I think you read a bit more than what was written in that post.

Emile did not refer to fixing corrupt files. Whether the file is stored on a NAS, locally, or on a USB drive, or somewhere else, it would still be exactly the same file with the same md5 hash for example, but it sounds different. 

He is not saying that Taiko has found an algorithm to fix corrupt files. What he is saying is that they are into something with the TAS software that makes the difference of playing the same file from different locations vanish. 

From my experience using the alpha release of TAS, above is spot on.  Very clever and very thoughtful implementation, with meticulous and systematic attention to every detail.  Emile and team are bringing the same focus to software as they do to hardware and system configuration.  

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/59345-article-reality-quest-going-to-extremes-with-the-taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-part-5-of-5/?tab=comments#comment-1053857

On 5/23/2020 at 2:15 AM, ray-dude said:

99% 2 channel through DAVE.  Adding TT2 to my headphone setup is a very recent thing, so I can't give a definitive comparative answer vs the NUC side.  Part of this iteration of my system cycle was to leverage the Monoprice slim run to run a long USB length from the Extreme to the TT2 on the end table next to my sofa (vs playing from laptop to TT2 to headphones).

There's also this OPTO•USB from Dan now, could it be a worthy replacement for a less-than-reliable Monoprice by any chance?

https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/products/opto-usb-optical-signal-isolation

https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/pages/opto-usb-specifications

*Monoprice Slimrun USB and Corning Optical USB provide 5V power from source to the client device via a thin copper wire inside the cable jacket. These 'active' solutions defeat the optical isolation with a galvanic connection. Even if the 5V power is injected from an external supply, the length of wire acts as an antenna to increase RF noise radiation and absorption.

On 2/2/2021 at 10:24 AM, lmitche said:

I was intrigued by the ADNACO USB subsystem bobfa is using.  It could work in my setup, but without Ethernet I couldn't go headless, and was wondering about any adverse sonic effects from long distance USB.

@Nenon, any update on your Taiko collaboration?

Here are a couple things I'd love to hear about: 

1) Updated availability time frame on the dc atx converter.

2) Confirmation that the cooling blocks will work for both the upcoming case as well as hdplex h5 (will be same cooling pipe size?).

3) You mentioned you are working on some more budget friendly diy cable options - I'd live to hear more as I'm ready to build an eps and an atx supply cable. Happy to experiment along with you. 

4) LTSC guide. 

Lots of questions, but I bet others share the same curiosity!  

29 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Here is where we stand with the DIY Taiko project:

In summary, the Taiko ATX would be available next month for those who want to experiment with it or use it to upgrade their HDPlex DC to DC ATX. Everything else is 2+ months away. 

Taiko ATX

If you have missed that, I posted a form where you can request one. Here it is again: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=wAyHaKEU5EWxi4f_4gJE6LY6WJsC4qJJgufOWga3mOJUNlZSMDhBOEs5NVBVUDFKRENINlQzOVlZOCQlQCN0PWcu

Once you sign up, you will get an email with some more details. I believe the batch will be ready in March. See the Unregulated LPS section below if you are interested in the couple of early units that would be available soon. 

Nenon, can you please post once more all the spec info you have for the Taiko DC-ATX?  Thanks.

Just now, Nenon said:

I would question how legal that is. 

Not an expert on Windows licensing but my understanding is that you cannot get a legitimate license for Windows 10 LTSC (Windows 10 IoT Enterprise) without signing a contract with Microsoft. That IMO makes any website that tells you: "The key will be sent via eMail. Please check the spam or junk mail folder too" illegal. There are plenty of those offers out there. I would not recommend doing that. 

Instead, I am trying to help people obtain a legal license. 

Those licenses have likely been taken from machines that were taken out of service.  The instructions that I sent Nenon are for doing it how Microsoft requires.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Hi Nenon,

For those of us willing to purchase the Mundorf 15.5AWG wiring, will you still be offering the preferred capacitor selection for the unregulated power supply?

For some of us, we are willing to outlay the additional funds rather than compromise the performance. We early adopters, who already invested in all the Taiko Extreme clone components, and have realized sonic performance surpassing  of all of our prior DIY Music Server builds, are hoping to extract as much performance as we can.

I figure if I can get 90% or more of the performance of Emile’s masterpiece, for less than half it’s total cost of entry, I’m still doing great!