Jump to content
IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server


Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, Nenon said:

 

I would question how legal that is. 

 

Not an expert on Windows licensing but my understanding is that you cannot get a legitimate license for Windows 10 LTSC (Windows 10 IoT Enterprise) without signing a contract with Microsoft. That IMO makes any website that tells you: "The key will be sent via eMail. Please check the spam or junk mail folder too" illegal. There are plenty of those offers out there. I would not recommend doing that. 

 

Instead, I am trying to help people obtain a legal license. 

 

We agree but there is a misunderstanding between IoT Enterprise and Enterprise Desktop.

 

https://www.high-rely.com/2018/06/14/windows-10-iot-enterprise/

 

My license (purchased at 10$) is legal, registered and legally activated by Microsoft (info by 01net).
But yes, there are a lot of scams on Amazon and Ebay !!

 

But in the meantime, enjoy Valentine's Day.

https://fr.godeal24.com/valentines-day-big-sale-fr.html?g24=bvs13

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nenon said:

Taiko chassis

The drawings are nearly ready. I will have drawings/price to share very soon. That would be a one-time (for now) small batch order. I will try to get a count of how many people are willing to buy one. Make sure you get back to me when I post this. Taiko will order a few extra chassis but not a lot more.

My understanding is that Taiko will sell those at cost, with no profit. And I don’t expect them to keep hundreds of them in stock. It will be important to get an accurate count, so people don’t get left off.

Keep in mind that it takes about 2 months after the order is placed. Try to be patient. I am practicing my audiophile patience too :).

Hi Nenon,

 

Looking forward to it...

dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - La Sound Olympia PC, Tara Labs Zero Evo AES; dCS Vivaldi DAC - Siltech Double Crown PC - Tara Labs 30LE XLR; dCS Vivaldi Clock - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - Canare 12g-SDI BNC; Mutec Ref10 SE-120 - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - AR Cox Triple C BNC; Roon Server / Uptone EtherRegen / Uptone JS-2 / Pachanko Ethernet "Itération"; Spectral DMC-30SS MKii - Siltech Double Crown PC - Nordost Tyr2 XLR; Spectral DMC-360 MKii - Tiglon 2000A PC - AR RTP6 Abs. - Transparent Reference G5 spk cable; Rockport Atria MKi, Shunyata Triton V2 + Typhon - Sigma HC PC, Thixar SMD Ultimate Rack + CMS Platinum MKiii

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=124319&extra=page=1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

In my build because of some high t’ issue I reassembled cooling pipes and last time I somehow missed a recommended pipes installation and now it’s looks like this.

So the question is if such installation is OK too and not impacting cooling or it better put it in a recommended way?

Unfortunately Euphony that I’m using not supporting AMD cpu t’ measure (hope they soon will add it) and it difficult to obtain this info on-line (if someone can give me an advice how to get it in my condition without being load windows (bios always shows higher t’ than win monitoring apps showed me once) - thank You!).

So, what You say?

38F8D491-7746-4C13-8B1A-629415ED3957.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, genvirt said:

Hi!

In my build because of some high t’ issue I reassembled cooling pipes and last time I somehow missed a recommended pipes installation and now it’s looks like this.

So the question is if such installation is OK too and not impacting cooling or it better put it in a recommended way?

Unfortunately Euphony that I’m using not supporting AMD cpu t’ measure (hope they soon will add it) and it difficult to obtain this info on-line (if someone can give me an advice how to get it in my condition without being load windows (bios always shows higher t’ than win monitoring apps showed me once) - thank You!).

So, what You say?

38F8D491-7746-4C13-8B1A-629415ED3957.jpeg

 

Your heat pipe installation looks fine. In the Hdplex manual the pipes you have on the outside are placed in the inside slots first and so on. The only impact is that the end of the pipes don't line up in cast iron channels on the outside heatsink. Assuming you used thermal grease for the full length of the pipes in the iron channels, you are good to go.  This is just an aesthetic difference.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve a question regarding AC power cords that better to use with PC and external supply like SJ.

I understand a huge importance and influence of power and cabling on SQ and using in my setup a really good and not a cheap cables with all audio component, but here I’m actually not sure what cable to use - some “good” brand or DIY one?

Some suggestion what cable work better with Yours setups will help:)

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, genvirt said:

I’ve a question regarding AC power cords that better to use with PC and external supply like SJ.

I understand a huge importance and influence of power and cabling on SQ and using in my setup a really good and not a cheap cables with all audio component, but here I’m actually not sure what cable to use - some “good” brand or DIY one?

Some suggestion what cable work better with Yours setups will help:)

Thanks!

I'm no power cable aficionado but I have tried the following cables with my PH SR7T:

 

1. Audience Forte F3

2. VH Audio Flavor 4 ( with cheap Viborg Rhodium plated/copper base AC Connectors)

3. Audio Art Power 1SE with Furutech Fi-28 Rhodium connectors.

 

I preferred the 2nd option. Option 1 was a bit laid back in comparison to the other two, Option 3 performed equally well but performed extremely well with my AMP, so I used it there until I replaced it with an NRG Custom Cables "The .1 CS".

 

These types of recommendations are very system dependent. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

I’ve tried various exotic cables!!! nothing I’ve tried so beats Furutech DPS-4.1. My whole system runs on these! 
 

£400 pm

£600 NCF connectors & SR fuse

 

£1000 total. Sold my TQ statement cable, costing far more than £1000! 
 

Like my Sablon & Ethernet cables, I won’t be upgrading any cable again. Diminishing returns! 

I will be building one of these to compare with my NRG Custom Cables "The 5". Will report back in due time!

 

The DPS-4.1 gets rave reviews across the board. Another good bulk Furutech cable is the FP-S55N. Cheaper but not necessarily a major performance compromise (From what ive read). @ASRMichael have you built anything with FP-S55N?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, thank You!

I’ve got today Oyaide P-079/C-079 plugs and Oyaide EE/F-S 2.0 V2 cable, that I suppose to use as main power cable from wall (Oyaide R-0) outlet to my power filter. Will see what improvement it’ll bring, it’s also interesting Idea try it on PC too.

will report and thanks all for answers and suggestions.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thumbs up to the Furutech FP-S55N mentioned above. I have tried it in JSSG and the FP-S032N on the PHD SR7T dual rail. They both offered similar performance but were better than a bunch of others I tried.

I believe the connectors (Wattgate EVOs) I have on the FP-S55N can be improved. I noticed a slightly better SQ when I removed the plastic backshells (please do not try this for safety reasons -your own and others in your home!! )

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried the Mundorf Ag/Au 15.5 AWG DIY DC cable as follows:

 

SR7T -> HDPlex 800W DC-ATX

Reference - 1 M Gotham OFC 16AWG (Ghent Audio Custom HG01) JSSG

 

1. 1 ft Au/Ag unshielded-> XLR at PC -> 1 ft Au/Ag (JSSG)

2. 1 ft SPC  shielded -> XLR at PC -> 1 ft Au/Ag (JSSG)

 

Even though the tonality of 1 & 2 is similar, I much prefer 2. for PRaT.  

 

My conclusion - Au/Ag may be better in 1 ft than in 2 ft lengths for PRaT in this leg. I cannot be 100% certain until I try a shielded version in 1. Nevertheless the PRaT loss perceived in 1. is quite significant.

 

I have also tried the same Au/Ag as above, for the CPU in 1 ft segments (SR7T -> SJ reg box -> PC EPS 8P Molex).

The order is reversed here.  I would recommended 1. over 2. in this loop for increased low level detail and tonality, without the adverse effects on PRaT.

 

My conclusion - Au/Ag is excellent in the CPU DC feed and 2 ft has no effect to talk about on PRaT.

 

Notes:

1. PC - i9-10900K/ Gigabyte Aorus Master/ AL/J River MC25/HDplex H5 v2

2. SPC - Alpha Wire 2827/6. 6C- 20 AWG (19/32) Silver Plated Copper wired 3C  for each +/- (15 AWG equivalent) . Overall SPC braided shield connected at PS ground only.

 

YMMV

ATB

b.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Just FYI - I prefer this over the Furutech nano liquid:

https://walkeraudio.com/product/quantum-silver-treatment-for-contacts/

 

In fact, I don't use the Furutech stuff anymore. 

 

Have done the Furutech FP-S55N and DPS-4.1. I prefered the DPS-4.1 but don't use it anymore. Both of these take a very long burn-in time. I have tried many other DIY cables, including the VHaudio (all flavors) and a bunch others. 

 

None of those DIY cable can compare to some of the commercial cables I am using like Sablon King/Prince, Audioquest Hurricane HC (1.5m specifically), High Fidelity Cables Professional Series (only for very low current devices), some of the higher end SR cables, etc. We do need to find a good DIY recipe for power cables. I have been looking for a while but haven't invested too much time/money/energy into that yet. 

@Nenon Thanks for sharing.

 

Of the cables you've listed, which do you prefer for DC4 use?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Exocer said:

@Nenon Thanks for sharing.

 

Of the cables you've listed, which do you prefer for DC4 use?

 

On the DAVE DC4 - High Fidelity Cables Professional Series. I just listened to one, don't own it! It's crazy expensive. Looking for a DIY option there. 

On the DC4 to my computer - Sablon Prince. 

Affiliated with Sean Jacobs

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Just FYI - I prefer this over the Furutech nano liquid:

https://walkeraudio.com/product/quantum-silver-treatment-for-contacts/

 

In fact, I don't use the Furutech stuff anymore. 

 

Have done the Furutech FP-S55N and DPS-4.1. I prefered the DPS-4.1 but don't use it anymore. Both of these take a very long burn-in time. I have tried many other DIY cables, including the VHaudio (all flavors) and a bunch others. 

 

None of those DIY cables can compare to some of the commercial cables I am using like Sablon King/Prince, Audioquest Hurricane HC (1.5m specifically), High Fidelity Cables Professional Series (only for very low current devices), some of the higher end SR cables, etc. We do need to find a good DIY recipe for power cables. I have been looking for a while but haven't invested too much time/money/energy into that yet. 

@Nenon I appreciate they’re better cables out there, but at what cost? The Furutech ncf range is great quality for its price. Especially compared to some of over priced cables out there and mediocre at best. 
 

For £1000 I don’t think there’s a better cable set out there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

@Nenon I appreciate they’re better cables out there, but at what cost? The Furutech ncf range is great quality for its price. Especially compared to some of over priced cables out there and mediocre at best. 
 

For £1000 I don’t think there’s a better cable set out there. 

 

Deal on at the moment to get the full kit (incl SR Orange) for £900...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...